Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 400 watt good enought for veg in a 1.2 x 1.2?

Thanks

Very nice MrNice!

I've always been taught to base the light requirements on the yield I want. 400w will generally give you .5lb in optimal conditions, 600w gives you 1lb and 1000w gives you 1.5lb. Add in Co2 and you get about 25% more. Always works for me. A 1.2m can handle up to a 1000w if you can control the temperatures (I'll be doing this in my next grow). 400w is fine, you'll just get less yield than high wattages

Thanks

can i just point out this thread was not about doing a 400 watt grow... lol just to get things back on track.. it was to do with 400 watt being good for veg... since i got told more light is better (and i did take the parabolic out) im now using 2 ballasts on 400 watt each so iv totally fooled the whole objective and ended up using double the power... looool (each ballast on 200 watt just looks dim the reflectors are naff)
    on the plus side the plants are booming in this light... more energy given= more growth and id rather spend the money and get things done quick im on time scale to getting inspections so i have to keep things moving as quick as i can... i want these to of finished vegging in the next week.. or 2/3 weeks tops... there already about 2 months old but were in tiny pots and have now just started taking root in there final pots

to smokeful... i pulled about an oz under 2ibs on a 1000 watt in soil which im well chuffed with... a few of the buds hermied and made seeds so i bet i could of got more if there was no light leaks...

im using 1000 watts per 1.2 x1.2 for bloom time

QUESTION... will i benefit off using a 90 degree bend for my duct as i have it going up the tent and doing a 180 degree turn to point down through the roof
    i was under the impression the duct will just make a 190- degree turn and wont bend inside or anything...but i was browsing on ebay and saw these duct joints and thought maybe one would be needed????
    Last edited by thehulk; 23-08-17 at 08:54 PM.
    AGAINST the legalization of cannabis.. the business is already set up do you want to work for some big company at minimum wage?

decriminalization is all we need.ask an American.. Where now they pay thc tax and can't afford enough Meds plus the card ruins most insurance ..no rant this is factual

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thehulk For This Useful Post:

M_C (23-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

Quote Originally Posted by thehulk View Post

QUESTION... will i benefit off using a 90 degree bend for my duct as i have it going up the tent and doing a 180 degree turn to point down through the roof
    i was under the impression the duct will just make a 190- degree turn and wont bend inside or anything...but i was browsing on ebay and saw these duct joints and thought maybe one would be needed????
    The less bends, the better.... says the guy with so many bloody bends he's had to upgrade the extraction fan... twice
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

can i just point out this thread was not about doing a 400 watt grow... lol just to get things back on track.. it was to do with 400 watt being good for veg... since i got told more light is better (and i did take the parabolic out) im now using 2 ballasts on 400 watt each so iv totally fooled the whole objective and ended up using double the power... looool (each ballast on 200 watt just looks dim the reflectors are naff)
    on the plus side the plants are booming in this light... more energy given= more growth and id rather spend the money and get things done quick im on time scale to getting inspections so i have to keep things moving as quick as i can... i want these to of finished vegging in the next week.. or 2/3 weeks tops... there already about 2 months old but were in tiny pots and have now just started taking root in there final pots

to smokeful... i pulled about an oz under 2ibs on a 1000 watt in soil which im well chuffed with... a few of the buds hermied and made seeds so i bet i could of got more if there was no light leaks...

im using 1000 watts per 1.2 x1.2 for bloom time

Oh, so you mean can you use 400w to veg and then 1000w to flower?

I'm not completely knowledgable on this. Only done 4 grows in my lifetime, but I read a lot and I'm always following other peoples grows. Anyway, to answer the question I have a feeling using a lower wattage for veg won't do any harm (so long as the jump between wattages isn't huge, i.e. 600w veg, 1000w flower).

This is my line of thinking. I might be off by miles here. But, using 1000w in the early stages, and 1000w in the flower stage, could be a waste of light. In veg stage the plant isn't filling up the canopy so a lot of light isn't getting used by the plant. The plant will only take in the amount of light it can handle (there's a scientific term for this, I can't recall it, I'm high). I have heard some suggest using lower wattage T5's in veg, and 1000w in flowering. I'm reading up on this at the moment because it would certainly save some electricity.

Don't quote me on any of this though, I could be off with my thinking.

To answer the second question, it's a bit like a slinky. Large bends will have a negative impact on air flow, but I'm not sure how to measure that, or whether it's significant on short duct runs.
    Last edited by Smokeful; 23-08-17 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks

yeah mate iv used hps and iv used cfl and for some reason the plants love cfl when vegging... im no noob to this... i was just asking as i never usually go bellow for 600 watt for anything but when i first started my vegers were alot more healthy under cfl that's why people use t5.. im actually planning on buying a nice one later this year or early next..

just found out if got a spider mite infestation.. not just a few loads!!! iv bought the pigeon stuff to get rid of them.. i thought id sprayed a fan with wd40 and it had blew back over everything but tonight iv found cobwebs got my scope out and boom im infested!!! (

Thanks

okay guys i have a new question... im thinking of making a full cfl lighting rig for the veg tent... the size is 1.2 x 1.2 (sometimes i use the cupboard if i have seeds)

now im thinking should i buy 4 x 125 watt blue cfl and put on on each corner or 4x200 watt which is doubling the power bill (not a massive issue but to be considered in)
    or should i go for one of these 4ft 4 bulb t5 jobs.. i no you can get 8 bulb but ill upgrade later and have 2
    is the 4 bulb enough for this tent???
    the wattage doesn't look massive sure that's about 200 watt in total with the 4 bulbs...
    or

VIPARSPECTRA 300W LED .. 300 watt enough for veg in such a tent? or 400watt? no nothing about led..
    (is led good for veg i remember when i was noob using my 300 watt cfl on veg and the plant was lovely and lush... nowa days i use hps/MH always and want to revert)
    please give pros and cons or any other suggestion...

Bulls Guest

Why so complicated man.. just stick 400w hps in there.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

BritishBotanics (26-08-17), Greengrass (25-08-17), jake420 (27-08-17), joker_the_smoker (25-08-17)

Thanks

only because cfl made my plants look so much more healthy i seem to remember... plus nothing is complicated its simple lighting...
    i already have a 600 watt dimmer in there atm. i dunno maybe i remember the plants under cfl as being better than it was... i just noticed as soon as i started using hps in veg i started getting leaves putting out with bits missing off them and not looking as lush.. but that could of been the light spectrum was years ago i dont remember properly. if you swapped the word complicated to expensive then id be in agreement... meh im not out to win the cannabis cup ill leave it unless i get some solid feed back...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thehulk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

okay guys i have a new question... im thinking of making a full cfl lighting rig for the veg tent... the size is 1.2 x 1.2 (sometimes i use the cupboard if i have seeds)

now im thinking should i buy 4 x 125 watt blue cfl and put on on each corner or 4x200 watt which is doubling the power bill (not a massive issue but to be considered in)
    or should i go for one of these 4ft 4 bulb t5 jobs.. i no you can get 8 bulb but ill upgrade later and have 2
    is the 4 bulb enough for this tent???
    the wattage doesn't look massive sure that's about 200 watt in total with the 4 bulbs...
    or

VIPARSPECTRA 300W LED .. 300 watt enough for veg in such a tent? or 400watt? no nothing about led..
    (is led good for veg i remember when i was noob using my 300 watt cfl on veg and the plant was lovely and lush... nowa days i use hps/MH always and want to revert)
    please give pros and cons or any other suggestion...
    I veg with this 23w oer bulb cfl board i made and a 600w vipraspectra they love it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gcoyne View Post
    I veg with this 23w oer bulb cfl board i made and a 600w vipraspectra they love it
    what kind of yield do you pull on the 600watt viper i was looking at them as a cheap way into led for next year int the summer.im not so bothered now in the winter as its going to get cooler and hps keeps my room warm... i saw a guy on youtube who was getting rid of his hps as the led was giving bigger yields and was cooler..likely his was some expensive thing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast