Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: I may not be on here for a while - major PC problems

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,728 Times

to sort out your CMOS problem .... next time you open your PC while its shut down there is a small button batterey on the mother board... replace that and you should be fine.
    If you did anything major then it might have wiped out the drivers for your hardware so all you need to do is download the drivers and install..... I always make sure i have Display and modem/router drivers for my PC saved on an external disk as if everything goes wrong, i still have drivers so i can see stuff on screen and connect to the interweb......

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glynne For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Glynne View Post
    to sort out your CMOS problem .... next time you open your PC while its shut down there is a small button batterey on the mother board... replace that and you should be fine.
    If you did anything major then it might have wiped out the drivers for your hardware so all you need to do is download the drivers and install..... I always make sure i have Display and modem/router drivers for my PC saved on an external disk as if everything goes wrong, i still have drivers so i can see stuff on screen and connect to the interweb......
    Hi mate

I've already replaced the battery - which was less than a year old.

If we have a power cut, or it's turned off from either the wall or power supply, the PC won't boot up.

If that happens, I have to take out the battery, instantly put it back, and then turn on the power (from the back of the PC) and turn on the PC (from the front)

I will either get an orange light and the fans are slow (so have to repeat the above steps)
    Or it will be blue - which we want - and the fans are at high speed.

Not only do I need the light to be blue, but I need to hear the second bleep from the PC. Once I hear the 2nd bleep, the PC says that the CMOS is incorrect as well being allowed to go into the set up and alter the time, date etc.

Once that is done, it will reboot itself and with the fans at the correct speed.

The longer that there hasn't been any electric going through, the longer it will take for the PC to boot up with a blue light and two bleeps.

I am going to reboot in a bit. Timorous as hell but I cannot leave it on forever.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

It's reboot time. If I am back in 5 minutes, you'll know that it may have worked. If I am not, you'll know I am crying into my keyboard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Phew! a reboot worked, although once I was on the desktop it again said it had found more hardware. Not as much as last time, but surprised it came up this time as it wasn't booted from safe mode.

My next test is to shut down the PC and see if it will boot up after a period of time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

It's worked.

Shut it down, rolled and smoked a spliff and booted up okay. I forgot to look to see if new hardware detected appeared or not.

It appears that by swapping over the power cables to the drives did the trick.

It's such a relief to have the PC working again. I'm lost without it and miss the family (the Talk)

Sorry guys, girls and everyone in between, you're going to have to put up with me for a little bit longer.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

British green (28-08-17), GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

It looks like I haven't fixed the PC.

I have just noticed that the slave drive hasn't been seen by the BIOS. Although the PC works, there's no second drive.

Damn.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

I don't know but it could be the IDE cable.

Yesterday when I got it into safe mode, I was able to access the slave drive.
    Today I noticed that the BIOS doesn't see the drive and nor does windows.

A short while ago I turned off the PC and decided to take out the IDE cable from the slave, and it fell apart in my hands. I need another IDE cable now. I am sure I have one, but the wife thinks it's in the back of a cupboard with tons of shit on top as well as in front - and no guarantee either.

Someone please shoot me and put me out of my misery.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,438 Times

I had something similar ssd failed and the PC was doing all mad things trying to boot.

It's still inside the PC but I had to buy another ssd and I bought a cheap 1tb hdd to throw in.

I think it's time for a PC upgrade though. Sounds like you think your on borrowed time!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fwank For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fwank View Post
    I had something similar ssd failed and the PC was doing all mad things trying to boot.

It's still inside the PC but I had to buy another ssd and I bought a cheap 1tb hdd to throw in.

I think it's time for a PC upgrade though. Sounds like you think your on borrowed time!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I can't do anything now until I get a new cable, and even then it may not fix the problem.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Jesus. Try and find a IDE cable in the shops. Maplins, no. PC World, no.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-08-17)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast