Thread: Seedlings Stopped Growing

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,547 Times

Default Seedlings Stopped Growing

First attempt at growing and things seem to have come to a standstill. Is this normal?

2 ww x bb seeds germinated in kitchen roll for 36 hours, 1 large taproot and 1 small.

Potted in verve soil (lime mixed in) on Tuesday last week, 1st popped on Wednesday and 2nd on Friday. Used cut bottles and water spray to up humidity, 250w hps with cooltube about 12" above.

Admittedly my temps were ridiculous until Sunday when I fitted my new fan setup (Apologies to M_C, shouldn't have started without getting everything in order).

They seem to be very slow in growing compared to other diaries I have read. I held off watering until Monday when they both were dry, got a good soak about 1/2l each sitting in their run off for a while.

The next day the slightly more mature plant has white tips and both seem slow to grow any more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	350318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	350317

Please can anyone shed any light on what is happening?
    Last edited by eightleggeddj; 06-09-17 at 09:19 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eightleggeddj For This Useful Post:

Greengrass (06-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

give them time put roots down matey, sound like you got it right with cut tops on them. just dont drench whole pot as it will just bog them down an slow growth. just small area around the seedling till its get going which means it will dry faster and allow you to water more providing fresh oxygen to roots

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

eightleggeddj (06-09-17), Greengrass (06-09-17), tlh2496 (07-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

At their young age a lot of the work is going on under the soil developing the root system.
    I don't know about how other more experienced growers water, but for a few weeks I only water about 250 mil in a radius around the pot a few inches away from the stem to get the roots searching for the water
    Soaking the pots now with run off with seedlings could take a week or two to dry out while slowing root growth.
    All the best mate
    Last edited by Greengrass; 06-09-17 at 10:03 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

eightleggeddj (06-09-17), Oldsmokie (13-09-17)

Thanks

Cheers, I was spraying the domes and the soil in the domes at first but the heat dried out the soil so I thought it best to water fully and get into a cycle. Any idea on the tips? Hot soil? Light bleaching?

The Aspie Toker Guest

Hi mate,

Out of curiosity, how much lime did you use? what type of lime was it? and finally, how long was it added before you used it?

Thank you
    TAT

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

eightleggeddj (06-09-17), Greengrass (06-09-17)

Thanks

I got a 20l bag of verve multipurpose and mixed in 4 tablespoons of Dolomite Lime and about 4 handfulls of perlite. Did this last Tuesday (appreciate lime should be done much earlier).

Filled the starter pots and returned the rest to the bag for up potting.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eightleggeddj For This Useful Post:

Greengrass (06-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

Let your soil dry out now mate
    A good tip I read here from these ladies and gents is
    Think of a wet tea bag on a bench the top will dry to a crisp but the bottom half will be soaked
    I use a piece of absorbant wood like a lolly stick and slowly and carefully push down a fair few inches and if I comes up damp I'll hold off the watering
    The curling might be low humidity just keep the domes on and misted until the leaves fill out to the sides of the bottle
    Your soil may be a bit warm but your seedling will bed into it and should be fine
    Do you have fans displacing the warm air?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

eightleggeddj (06-09-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eightleggeddj View Post
    I got a 20l bag of verve multipurpose and mixed in 4 tablespoons of Dolomite Lime and about 4 handfulls of perlite. Did this last Tuesday (appreciate lime should be done much earlier).

Filled the starter pots and returned the rest to the bag for up potting.
    You used the correct amounts and the correct type of lime. That's good, and yes, it should have been done earlier.

4 handfuls of perlite for 20 litres of verve isn't much. A lot of people go for around 25-30% Or was that 4 handfuls just for the amount used so far?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

eightleggeddj (06-09-17), Greengrass (06-09-17)

Thanks

Yeah got a 12" oscillating fan added on Monday. Humidifier added yesterday so things are looking a lot more stable.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to eightleggeddj For This Useful Post:

Greengrass (06-09-17)

Thanks

I just mixed the perlite by sight really, I can add more to the new pots.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eightleggeddj For This Useful Post:

Greengrass (06-09-17)