Thread: Grow lights for seasonal effective disorder???

Thanks

Default Grow lights for seasonal effective disorder???

Could anyone help me i suffer quite bad with the winter blues I've tryed sad lamps but there not strong enough is there any type of light i could use?? I've been in grow rooms before and come out feeling really good is it true that the lights are bad for causing skin cancer??? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,779 Times

I have a bit of a theory on those SAD lights...

A lot of them seem to be CFL or smaller LED chips... we have the same issue in the growing world with lesser lighting...

It's the penetration of the light IMHO for SAD as well as growing & this is where, at the moment, HID is king.

The biggest problem that you would have with grow lights is the sheer amount of light - You can't really use a HID as a living room light

Research the spectrum of light that is best for SAD, HID bulbs come in many different spectrum optimised ranges (lowest wattage for those, expect 250w... maybe 400... depends on the bulb)

I'm going to guess that the spectrum you want will be about the same as a MH bulb would kick out? If so, you can easily get 70w bulbs (and ballasts) - but they are still going to kick out too much light for the living room!

That said, I've never really looked into the dangers of UV, we tend not to be exposed to the grow room light for long periods
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

jake420 (12-09-17), swansneck (14-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,352 Times

Just use blue/6400k led bulbs in your houselights instead of the horrible red lightbulbs we've all grown up with. Recently replaced all mine at home with blue leds from b&q, feels miles better.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uparoundthebend For This Useful Post:

Karsa (18-09-17), Valentina (20-09-17)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Quote Originally Posted by uparoundthebend View Post
    Just use blue/6400k led bulbs in your houselights instead of the horrible red lightbulbs we've all grown up with. Recently replaced all mine at home with blue leds from b&q, feels miles better.
    Thanks for the tip. If my place wasnt rented I would do loads to it.. including upfrading the electrics and to led lights

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Amazon has some "higher" wattage LEDs by Osram and Philips. I use a 18 Watt large globe bulb, it comes with the standard ES screw fitting so it fits straight into a standard pendant lamp holder. Not the prettiest, but it's pretty darn bright.

Or try Sainsbury's, they were doing a little discount on their own branded LED bulbs too, £4 individually and £7.50 for 2, and there are like 9w each. They work pretty well too.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

The Aspie Toker Guest

I had a Maplin's one a few years back. Code: A20HW (Maplin 10,000 Lux Full Size SAD Light) I used it to start off chilli plants. It did a great job, but did get warm.