Thread: Why does a seedling stretch if not potted deep enough?

Thanks

Default Why does a seedling stretch if not potted deep enough?

Assuming there's enough light, and it's close enough, and assuming this only happens to 1 or 2 seedlings out of many the only reason I can see a seedling stretching is not being potted deep enough.

Happened to me with 1 of them. I've had to support it. The rest are fine.

I know why it happened. I didn't pot deep enough. The stretchy seedling is the one that sprouted first. What happened was I potted into dry soil, and then watered. After watering the soil compacted and I lost a cm or so. This meant the seedling was closer to the top than it should have been.

Next time I either pot even deeper or cover with extra soil. It happens sometimes. No big deal.

But I'd like to know why they stretch when not potted deep enough. Why wouldn't they instead grow slower than the others while the roots form?

Biologically speaking why do plants stretch when not potted deep enough.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Plants stretch for light, no other hidden reason...
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Plants stretch for light, no other hidden reason...
    Impossible in my case. The light is 400w (no option, as low as ballast goes and got not cfl/t5 but they fine) 9" from the plant. It's the only one in the batch of 5 that stretched. We're not talking serious stretch, just more than it should.
    Last edited by Smokeful; 17-09-17 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks

Maybe bad genetics from the seed? Not sure.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,778 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeful View Post
    Impossible in my case. The light is 400w (no option, as low as ballast goes and got not cfl/t5 but they fine) 9" from the plant. It's the only one in the batch of 5 that stretched. We're not talking serious stretch, just more than it should.
    Have you taken into account the lighting she is getting compared to the others? They can't all sit under a bulb equally.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    Maybe bad genetics from the seed? Not sure.
    ::1 sweet ::1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Have you taken into account the lighting she is getting compared to the others? They can't all sit under a bulb equally.
    Same light. They're all sitting under the cool tube. 400w 9" away is more than enough for the kids A waste of light as it happens lol. I fixed it by filling the pot with more soil. Just confusing that's all.
    Last edited by Smokeful; 17-09-17 at 08:44 PM.