Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Noise reduction

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,536 Times

Default Noise reduction

Using a 6" (150mm) 760m3/hr Rhino Thermostatic Fan & Rhino Pro Filter Extraction kit creates a loud of noise as the air is chopped up and spat out, enough to draw unwanted attention as well as being so loud once the thermostat kicks in, I can't hear my own thoughts. Tent dimensions are 90x150x200 and when I did the maths 6 months ago I worked out I need to shift 400 cubic meters so I have plenty room to play with here.

I am looking for, without much success, something to reduce the sound that comes out of the extractor and considering several options.

1. Bought some 5" acoustic ducting but haven't attached it to the outside of the tent yet.The guy in the hydro shop was probably stoned or something cause he sold the wrong ducting and I didn't know until I cut into it and tried to fit it. I am guessing the noise will travel down the ducting at the same volume, and it's a lot of noise! Is 5" usable or a waste of time? Will this create more noise? Would it be wise for me to throw this away and get 8" ducting so the air coming out of the 6" fan is less compressed and therefore quieter? Squeezing air out of a 6" fan into 5" ducting seems counter productive to me

2. Are those long metal duct silencers worth buying, in addition to accoustic ducting or does it more or less work the same way? Space is at a premium here too.

3. Is it worth putting the fan inside a box? The fan itself isn't that loud, just the air being thrown out of it. The fan is inside the tent, but I am open to the idea of bringing it outside the tent and putting a shelf on the wall for it.

4. Is a variac going to serve much use when the fan is already thermostatically controlled?

5. Is there anything I havn't yet considered or discovered that could help with noise reduction?

Here is how it looks right now. The fan has a reducer on it atm from 6" to 5" that I purchased for an overwhelming expense of a whole £1.30-something (thank you Screwfix!) so I can fit the too-small ducting to it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170919_155946_resized.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	350887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170919_235958_resized.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	350888

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

MR B-loom (21-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Going bigger on the ducting can help reduce noise combined with acoustic ducting also, so say you runnin 6inch fan bang on some 8inch duct.

i use fan controller on my tent (ecotechnics controller) this will also help with noise as then the fan wont be running on full pelt but you coudl also buy a cheap 10quid controller off ebay, you might get bit of hum or buzz dependin how much the fan is slowed but you can enclose the fan in a home made mdf box filled with insulation.

why you wana reduce the 6 to 5inch though this will make it louder

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Incognitto (21-09-17), nom (20-09-17), Northern (22-09-17), tlh2496 (23-09-17)

Bulls Guest

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulls For This Useful Post:

MR B-loom (21-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,536 Times

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    why you wana reduce the 6 to 5inch though this will make it louder
    I don't "want to".. I was missold the wrong size ducting.. but thank you for confrming

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (20-09-17)

Thanks

why not go with an LED grow light? they seem to be less noisy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ecowarrior For This Useful Post:

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ecowarrior View Post
    why not go with an LED grow light? they seem to be less noisy.
    The loudest part of my grow room are the fans from the LED.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

British green (21-09-17), The Lost Soul (24-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Acoustic ducting baffle will silence the whoosh that comes from the ducting

Sent from a green pleasant land

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,829 Times

My work in progress what yall think of the dimension ? I wanted it smallish but then buds looks more square is there a reason for this if anyone knows ?

Obviously the more padding to absorb sound the better but can you see mine being not good enough the size it is ?🤔👍

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MR B-loom For This Useful Post:

British green (21-09-17), Northern (22-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Don't push your padding in to tight and you might want a little rubber pad underneath the bracket

Sent from a green pleasant land

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

MR B-loom (21-09-17), M_C (21-09-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

That's a neat job you've done there, Bracey. Personally, I would have made mine larger so I could fit more filler etc. inside.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

British green (21-09-17), MR B-loom (21-09-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast