Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diy cardboard drybox

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Default Diy cardboard drybox

I made a diy cardboard drying box as I wasn't sure if I just wanted to use the tent or not but the fact I'm growing different strains right now it made sense to have a drying room of some sort.

Now tbh best way to dry would be in the open space on steins across whole room, others use tents etc. But the only way to get rid of the smell 100% is with an ozone generator of commercial scale. They aren't cheap. For a small grow this is ideal. A friend gave me some tips when they built there's and total cost was under 20 quid.

I asked around for some boxes and my brother had just moved and left behind a cardboard wardrobe. These aren't that expensive to buy either but free is cheapest.
    Because I'm into shibari, I already have a ton of ropes and strings so again free but not that expensive if you go to the pound shop and get a reel of string. You want a reasonable thickness so it doesn't tear the cardboard.
    2x carbon filters for cat toilet trays eBay for a couple quid. Or shops for more but you get more material.
    Power source, 240v adapter for sky router or equivalent. Free as I just cancelled the subscription to sky.
    2x 120mm. 12v PC fans 4 quid each on eBay. So for me I've only spent 8 quid

Some of this you can find in the streets before bin collection. Or have laying about but if not. The total cost would be around 25-30 quid (UK here sorry)

Tools:
    Screwdriver
    Scalple or crafting knife

Firstly you wanna make sure your box is strong so reinforce it if necessary and use a good glue.

Next you wanna make the holes to thread your string through

Next make the cut outs for the fans and then one additional opening at the bottom for ventilation

Splice your adapter to power both fans but don't attach yet. Better to wait till it's all together first.

Next you want to feed your string through whether it's many lengths or just one it will take some time. Don't pull too tightly as you want some slack so the structure doesn't break apart and collapse in on itself (remember I said to reinforce it if you have too)

Mount the fans the correct way so it pulls air out and place the carbon filter panels on the inside so the air is pulled through them. Hell if you really want too you can add a speed controller depending on your fan strength, I have not...

Last but not least you need to put a net or a stocking type netting across the passive intake. Make sure there is enough space at the bottom for a fan and a heater if necessary. Air circulation is as key here as it is in the growing process. It may be worth investing in a dehumidifier as well to aid in the drying process. I haven't tweaked it yet as I'm only on my first grow but if done right it should dry with no smell. I'm gonna chuck an ona neutral gel in it too to help odour reduction. Whether in or outside the box I don't know. Possibly just next to the intake.

Hers the finished product took me about 3 hrs baked off my head and misplacing materials haha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_2346-DSC_0035-774x13762143623987.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	351221 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_2346-DSC_0036-1376x7741665099580.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	351222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_2346-DSC_0037-774x13764654759.jpg 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	351223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp_2346-DSC_0040-1376x7741551116440.jpg 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	351224

Still jot quite finished as I have to pin the filters to the wall. Trying to choose a material for that. And whether I want to double or triple layer it or make a diy filter. But it's simple and easy to setup. Though it's not much more effort to put it into a cabinet tbf

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

KieranH (17-01-18), M_C (27-09-17), scoobywho (27-09-17)

Thanks

Step by step pics are on my broken phone which I'm trying g to put data from atm so bare with me

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

scoobywho (27-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,994 Times

Niiiice man thats looking good, cheap build too mate which is good lol . might just knock up one myself lol 👌 the cat litter filter is a great idea 👍

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks

Nice work! I'm going to be building one of these in the next week or so. I like your design, especially with the fans. I have a box for a Mercury Outbound motor that will work great. Good luck with the dry and cure!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesRiverRat For This Useful Post:

scoobywho (27-09-17)

MrChedHead Guest

To be fair mate that’s quite sweet 👍🏼
    Nice work man 👍🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrChedHead For This Useful Post:

scoobywho (27-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Whilst not wishing to sound negative, I can't see that filter system working
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Karsa (27-09-17), scoobywho (27-09-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Whilst not wishing to sound negative, I can't see that filter system working
    I have some experimenting to do including incorporating a proper custom carbon filter. I wanted to see how it works with a friends bud and the ona gel or his small ozone generator. Difficult to guess tbh but I see your point man. It's a work in progress besides I have that cabinet thing to make too remember haha I was thinking the ona or the ozone generator would filter out the remaining smell. Bud won't get tested for another week or so...

Pics are finally getting transferred

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

scoobywho (28-09-17)

Thanks

What about a carbon filter from a cooker hood? Layer them up in a box for the air flow? As I said it's still a WIP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

scoobywho (28-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa View Post
    I have some experimenting to do including incorporating a proper custom carbon filter. I wanted to see how it works with a friends bud and the ona gel or his small ozone generator. Difficult to guess tbh but I see your point man. It's a work in progress besides I have that cabinet thing to make too remember haha I was thinking the ona or the ozone generator would filter out the remaining smell. Bud won't get tested for another week or so...

Pics are finally getting transferred
    What size O3 generator are we talking about?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

scoobywho (28-09-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,306 Times

Nicely done. I just tie up some strings inside the tent and leave the carbon filter running.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admiral For This Useful Post:

Karsa (27-09-17), scoobywho (28-09-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast