Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Them cheap fan controllers?

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

Ohh and btw theres differwnt sms coms i beleve. The expensive ones use a variac which controll the mains input voltage resulting is less ressonence. (Im a terrible speller)..... and the less expensive ones basicly swicth on and off your fans really fast in the ms. Whicth causes the fan to hum.

So to sum it up variac vased fan controllers are the best ones.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17), Ginger-bud (05-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Soul View Post

This is my voltaic manual fan controller 👍

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    How much you pay. I built mine. Its pretty much the same as yours just without the metal case. Also mines on a trailing socket.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Default Them cheap fan controllers?

The trouble with the wee shitty controllers is that they just restrict the electricity to them and not reduce it. This is bad news if there's any shoddy wiring or if you have it in for lengthy periods of time like us growers. Fire hazard in my opinion but I know people that use them with no ill effect. Just not for me.
    Funnily enough this is what I was given in place of the SMSCOM controller I took back to the hydro shop cos of the buzzing.
    It cost 85 bucks 👍
    Edit - I can turn this bad boy down to almost 0% and it still runs and doesn't make a sound 👍

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

Beezerk (05-11-17), GEORGE (05-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

The only problem I have with Ecotech is that they are 25% minimum and won't go lower.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17), Samwise Gamgee (05-11-17), The Lost Soul (05-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,968 Times

Fair point but will you ever need it running that low?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Lost Soul For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 17,171 Times

I have the ecotechnic and love it, the fact you can do intake, exhaust and add a heater as well, makes it a very versatile choice, especially when flowering in the winter in the UK

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samwise Gamgee For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17), joker_the_smoker (05-11-17), The Lost Soul (05-11-17), tom222 (06-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Soul View Post
    The trouble with the wee shitty controllers is that they just restrict the electricity to them and not reduce it.
    Yeah, I think I read they chop up the signal, a bit like a rough DC voltage but variacs reduce the amplitude of the waveform and keep it purely sinusoidal.
    Let's get it on!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beezerk For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17), The Lost Soul (06-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise Gamgee View Post
    I have the ecotechnic and love it, the fact you can do intake, exhaust and add a heater as well, makes it a very versatile choice, especially when flowering in the winter in the UK
    What he said

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-11-17), tom222 (06-11-17)

Thanks

I've just picked up a transformer based fan controller from Ebay for a bargain, so my idea is...

Thermostat set at around 25 degrees (or a temp to be decided), when the temp is below this the power will go through the controller set at a pre determined speed and to the fan, when the temp is above 25 degrees the power goes directly to the fan which will then be at full speed. I've made a small fag packet wiring diagram which has relays and a contactor for handling the mains power so in theory it should work. Ideally I want a three speed set up but that can wait for now or until I can get another bargain controller.
    Anyone with experience of this kind of set up think it will work and what are the potential flaws? Obviously it's going to need some dialling in but the idea seems sound enough.

Btw another thermostat will control a heater for when the lights are off as it's kinda chilly in my loft at times.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    Never a truer word. The tenner fan controllers are not good and a bit pointless. A cheaper alternative to the excellent Ecotech is the Inkbird Heating/cooling @£25 eBay item number:122436400841

They are simply on off with both cooling and heating but do the job. I have one in my veg tent.
    Are these recommended and safe to use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast