Thread: [SOLVED] Water pump maintenance

Thanks

Default [SOLVED] Water pump maintenance

Hey there, I have done my first grow with some sucess and have just started my second but the water pump I use to recirculate the nutrient solution seems to be showing signs of slowing down and despite it being set to maximum flow there is only a trickle coming out. I live in a hard water area so I guess its just getting clogged up with limescale. The link below should take you to the pump I have,

http://www.somhydro.co.uk/product.asp?pid=702

Does anyone know a way of cleaning them out? I was thinking about submerging in malt vinegar or a limescale removal solution and turning on for an hour or something, but I'm not sure if there are any seals or gaskets that could get damaged in the process. Do they come apart?

Any advice appreciated

looking for a small boat.............with a hole in the bottom!!
    Thanks

If you take the pump apart you will see a blue bit of sponge, just bin it, give the internals a quick clean and put back together, the pump housing comes off by pulling it apart, the grey part away from the green, it can be quite difficult to do, but it does come apart, anyone else using these maxijet pumps I'd advise you to do the same with the blue sponge, I bet there are loadsa people that have binned the pump thinking its knackered, well it is not, its the blue sponge building up gunk and restricting the flow.
    civilisations are like the little sparks that fly from a bonfire, winking into existance and being snuffed out as they confront their own particular obstacle.

Abused and unloved bonfire plant

POTM entry april 09

Thanks

Very useful mate and there was me thinking I may need a new pump soon. I'm gonna take it apart this afternoon and I'll let you know how I get on. Many thanks for the advice

Thanks

Ok, just did what you suggested gsxrnutter and its as good as new. No limescale at all and it was theblue sponge that was the problem as you said. Many thanks mate :-)