Thread: Cheaper 'terpene boost' nutrient equivalent?

Thanks

Default Cheaper 'terpene boost' nutrient equivalent?

First post in a while so I'd like to say Hi guys!

To the point - After doing some heavy research into multiple different nutrient brands and lab analysis of these brands, as well as reviewing grow reports and lab reports of side-by-side grows I've noticed a similarity between additives that claim to boost terpene profiles; This similiarty being the majority of the ones that actually 'work' tend to consist of varying levels of potassium nitrate and sulfur, which leads me to my question - Considering sulfur by itself isn't soluble, would battery acid (sulphuric acid) be a worthy substitute? I would go for magnesium sulphate but I don't really want to risk a lockout through high Mg levels while trying to boost sulfur levels. Using sulphuric acid as a PH down should give a nice boost of sulfur along with magnesium sulphate at a lower dose.

I could be wrong in what I'm saying about potassium nitrate and sulfur being the 'working' ingredients in these additives, but based on the research I've done sulfur seems to be 'known' for enhancing terpene profiles, in which case it'd be much cheaper to swap your PH down with sulphuric acid and consider adding potassium nitrate, even though it won't be necessary considering a large number of bloom boosters (which are also mainly just monopotassium phosphate) contain potassium nitrate or equally available and effective sources of potassium.

While I'm at it, I've also read that dark brown sugar is a better carb for your plants than molasses due to it having apparently (I haven't read too much into it so can't confirm) having a higher carb ratio and more trace elements. I've chosen the unrefined equivalent which I'll be testing out.

Thanks in advance!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam1303 For This Useful Post:

Blue (20-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

I can't help with the battery acid thing Adam but agree it's the high sulphur levels which are helping give you the terpene boost. I switched out my pk 13/14 for the Buddhas tree 9/18 based on the fact It has the highest sulphur content on the market for pk. Since the switch my terps made a vast improvement. Some really high amounts of sulphar in that stuff

Gypsum is another additive for sulphur. I'm sure redsiel will be along shortly with some input

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Adam1303 (20-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I can't help with the battery acid thing Adam but agree it's the high sulphur levels which are helping give you the terpene boost. I switched out my pk 13/14 for the Buddhas tree 9/18 based on the fact It has the highest sulphur content on the market for pk. Since the switch my terps made a vast improvement. Some really high amounts of sulphar in that stuff

Gypsum is another additive for sulphur. I'm sure redsiel will be along shortly with some input
    Thanks for the reply!

The logic behind the sulphuric acid content is predominently because we have enough nitrogen and phosphorous so using nitric and phosphoric acid is kind of pointless, whereas adding sulphuric acid is adding in a highly beneficial trace element providing it works as I think it should.

Funnily enough it was buddhas 9/18 that got me thinking about sulfur levels, which then turned my attention to 'terpinator' and other terp boosters which all had higher than average levels of sulfur. Thank you for confirming that sulfur does boost terpenes, despite reading a fair bit I was more confident asking people who'd actually tested it first hand.

Gypsum being calcium sulfate? I suppose a worthwhile way of adding sulfur would be through magnesium sulfate and calcium sulfate. That way you've got your calmag covered and higher sulfur levels.
    Last edited by Adam1303; 20-11-17 at 10:54 PM.