Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Making a DIY Pollen Press!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hackerman View Post
    I'm new around here so excuse me for butting in but.... I'm not sure what you're looking to do. Are you taking dry sift and pressing it into a block?

If so, I stopped pressing my dry sift into pucks and started rolling them on a hot plate just like I do with my ice water (bubble bag) hash. Really improves the taste and the buzz.

I take the dry sift and put it between two pieces of parchment. Then, I roll it with a jar filled with hot water (ref: Frenchy Canoli Method). This breaks up all the little trichs and merges all the cannabinoids together. It goes from a powder to a 'clay' like consistency from the heat and pressure. Press it flat. Fold it over. Press it flat. Roll it over. Just like kneading bread.

Here's a shot of my last dry sift AFTER rolling.....

If I'm off base and that's not what you're doing...... never mind. LOL
    Hackerman sup? Yea that's exactly what im looking to do! I've never tried that method before, will definately give it a go next time I've got kief there. Gonna experiment with my method by cranking the vice up to a certain level then leaving for X hours and cranking up some more and leaving to sit for more time again.. . Also looking at applying heat to it while it's under pressure. Do you (or anyone else) know at what temp you'd start to diminish the potency? Surely if it's cooked way too hot all the trichs will be useless?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Danj246 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-11-17)

Thanks

I've heard some guys putting their press in the oven at 170 whilst it's under pressure surely that temps not doing any favours?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Danj246 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 26,716 Times

Got this for £20 on eBay. Makes the puck around the same diameter of a £2 pound coin.

"A word to the wise isn't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Loki For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (23-11-17), Danj246 (23-11-17), ERBURT (02-12-17), GEORGE (24-11-17), ggotch (24-11-17), M_C (23-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danj246 View Post
    Hackerman sup? Yea that's exactly what im looking to do! I've never tried that method before, will definately give it a go next time I've got kief there. Gonna experiment with my method by cranking the vice up to a certain level then leaving for X hours and cranking up some more and leaving to sit for more time again.. . Also looking at applying heat to it while it's under pressure. Do you (or anyone else) know at what temp you'd start to diminish the potency? Surely if it's cooked way too hot all the trichs will be useless?

If you're just looking to press the sift into a block or puck, you probably don't need any heat. If you are going to try to roll it and press it, you want about 110F to 120F.

Frenchy uses a jar filled with hot hot water right from the faucet. Should be about 110F or so. I'm a DIY kind of guy so I built a heated aluminum plate with temperature control. I use that and a standard rolling pin. This keeps me from having to run back to the faucet and re-fill the jar when the water gets cold.

I just learned that I can't post links here but if you do a Youtube search of Frenchy Canoli, he has a 2 or 3 part video on making ice water hash. I think the second video shows how he rolls it with the hot jar. I use the same technique with my dry sift.

Some dry sift just won't press like this. If it's got a lot of debris in it, it's really hard to get it to melt. If it's mostly trichs, it will get soft and pliable right away. If it has a lot of 'sandy' and 'gritty' feel, try something called 'static tech'. That's the practice of using static electricity (a CD cover) to attract the remaining debris and leave you with just trichs.

Anything below about 100 microns should press OK. Anything over 100u probably needs more cleaning.

I use an arbor press to make pucks for my rosin press. This would work great for what you want to do. The press is about $50 at Harbor Freight (are we in the US here?) and the 2 pieces of aluminum are from eBay.

The last 2 pics are the plate that I roll my hash on. Ceramic mold heaters epoxied to the bottom of the plate with a standard fan speed controller to control temperature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press-1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	353458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press-2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	353459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press-3.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	353460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press-4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	353461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press-5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	353462  

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hackerman For This Useful Post:

Danj246 (23-11-17), GEORGE (24-11-17), Hashhound (18-02-18), M_C (23-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hackerman View Post
    If you're just looking to press the sift into a block or puck, you probably don't need any heat. If you are going to try to roll it and press it, you want about 110F to 120F.

Frenchy uses a jar filled with hot hot water right from the faucet. Should be about 110F or so. I'm a DIY kind of guy so I built a heated aluminum plate with temperature control. I use that and a standard rolling pin. This keeps me from having to run back to the faucet and re-fill the jar when the water gets cold.

I just learned that I can't post links here but if you do a Youtube search of Frenchy Canoli, he has a 2 or 3 part video on making ice water hash. I think the second video shows how he rolls it with the hot jar. I use the same technique with my dry sift.

Some dry sift just won't press like this. If it's got a lot of debris in it, it's really hard to get it to melt. If it's mostly trichs, it will get soft and pliable right away. If it has a lot of 'sandy' and 'gritty' feel, try something called 'static tech'. That's the practice of using static electricity (a CD cover) to attract the remaining debris and leave you with just trichs.

Anything below about 100 microns should press OK. Anything over 100u probably needs more cleaning.

I use an arbor press to make pucks for my rosin press. This would work great for what you want to do. The press is about $50 at Harbor Freight (are we in the US here?) and the 2 pieces of aluminum are from eBay.

The last 2 pics are the plate that I roll my hash on. Ceramic mold heaters epoxied to the bottom of the plate with a standard fan speed controller to control temperature.
    Hackerman - thanks for this post there's a ton of great info there! I'm actually in Scotland, so would probably need to look elsewhere for the arbor press. What is that designed for normally? The picture of the pipe and bar section is exactly what I was hoping to create with the parts I've ordered, a perfect fit. I will need to wait and see what the sizes are like when they arrive but as pointed out earlier I have the pipe and bar both 25mm so they may not fit unless I'm extremely lucky with a tolerance difference. I will get on YouTube and check out this guy, it sounds like a great way of making your hash. I want to move away from using my ice bags for a few reasons and just thought sifting and collecting my crystals to press em would be good. I'd like to have about 20 pucks there on standby ideally 😂🖒🖒 thanks for the advice

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Danj246 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-11-17)

farmguy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danj246 View Post
    I couldn't get anything on that number/link fella? Also what is ATB, I've been wondering that?

Atb mean all the best lol
    But i seen loki put up wat that number led u to on ebay good tool aswell

Atb

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmguy For This Useful Post:

Danj246 (23-11-17), GEORGE (24-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 14,075 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    Anyone spotting a problem with this yet

If the inside diameter of the tube is the same as the outer diameter of the rod, then they will not fit

your too nice m.c.
    skin it roll it lick it twist it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lipnobody For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-11-17), M_C (24-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lipnobody View Post
    your too nice m.c.
    How so mate?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Danj246 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-11-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Best thing I've found was a (Clay extruter) You can find them on google for around 25 bucks. They make nice round 1 to 10 grams or even bigger if you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2433.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	353471  

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Danj246 (24-11-17), ggotch (24-11-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    Best thing I've found was a (Clay extruter) You can find them on google for around 25 bucks. They make nice round 1 to 10 grams or even bigger if you like.
    Nice! I'll need to check that out. Might end up getting something like this is my idea is a fail 🖒

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Danj246 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-11-17)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast