Thread: Thermostatic 6inch fan and 6inch rhino hobby vs 5inch pro rhino kit ?

Thanks

Default Thermostatic 6inch fan and 6inch rhino hobby vs 5inch pro rhino kit ?

Ive been offered a 6inch thermostatic rhino fan for a good price and i'm wondering if it will be a better purchase than the 5inch rhino pro kit i was going to buy, they are both around the same price

I can only have an 80x80x160 tent

So i would have the 6 inch thermostatic rhino fan, and an A1 6inch hobby filter
    or
    RVK 5inch A1 fan, and Rhino pro 5inch carbon filter.

I plan to upgrade my tent in a couple of grows so i'm thinking the 6inch will be a good buy as it also has the thermo control and can be used in a larger tent.

My worry is that it's too big for the tent i have now

Any help appreciated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MC-Yen For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,536 Times

If they are the same price, go for the pro. It has a longer warranty and therefore a longer life expectancy..

I believe the hobby version is half the size, so is more suited for those with limited space to hang it in, but if you are going to upgrade your tent then this isn't such a big deal, in the long term

I have a 6" rhino pro fan and filter that I bought together as a kit. I just checked the filter is 60cm long, so with the one I have you wound need to put your exhaust fan on the outside of your tent to fit the filter in, but it will fit for your current tent and your future upgrade.

I use the thermo control too and I have a separate controller to turn the power down. The rhino fan has a setting for minimum power but no maximum, so more kit is needed for that.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17), MC-Yen (13-12-17)

Thanks

ive just found a cheaper deal on the pro 6inch cf, so the only difference now, is an inch in size. the normal 5 inch fan, or 6inch thermo

what controller do you have for turning the power down ?

is the thermo not very good on its own then?

thanks for the help

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MC-Yen For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks

the rhino thermostatic fan has two control knobs on it. One is to set the desired temperature, the other is to set the minimum running power. When the thermostat reaches the desired temperature, it stops running at full power and then runs at the minimum power, until temps rise and the fan will go at full power again.

Some people have separate temp and rH meters that control the intake fan and out take fan. I'm too much of a novice for all that tech, so it worked for me to buy a thermostat built in to the fan. I have no intake fan as my tent has built in mesh "vents"

Control Freak Intelligent Controller 5A was a cheap option for me but I just found out, 6 weeks into 12/12 my outdated electrical wiring in my house doesn't like it much. See here: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...ectrical-query and there are replies from other people giving recommendations for other controllers but still trying to figure it out. It's seen me through my first grow though for something around £35.

I'm planning on replacing my rhino fan with an Isomax which is more expensive but silent. AFAIK the Isomax hasn't got a temp probe so I would have to get something else that does that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks

I chose the 6" rhino, for obvious reasons:

Rhino Thermostatic 5" 400 m3/h
    Rhino Thermostatic 6" 760 m3/h

RVK A1 5" 220 m3/h

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks

Ah i see, if it had a max control it would be a great buy.
    a few more questions if you don't mind nom..
    is the fan 6inch diameter total and only needs that much headroom ?
    and how noisy is the fan at full speed ? is it comparable to anything ?
    my groom is in a loft space , could it be heard on the landing/next door ?
    that doesn't sound too good about the lights flickering on and off
    i would like the ecotechnic controller, but its out of budget this time round maybe next time

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MC-Yen For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,547 Times

Ive got a Rhino 6inch Thermostatic as well. It got it's good and bad points. Firstly it can shift some air, I didn't see how big your tent was? but this should be good for most small to medium tents and can dramatically reduce temperature as I found out in the late summer.

It is much bigger than 6 inches physically.

So I've got mine set to about 27C and running at about 60% and it never really runs on full tbh, I do have an inlet fan also but running low. When the Rhino is on full the fan isn't noisy but the suction noise is so you would need to get insulated ducting (one of my next purchases). My fan is in the loft and you cant hear it there. They do make a humming noise when turned down, again you wont hear it from the landing if its in the loft.

If you want the echotech then you are best getting an RVK as you wont be able to attach the thermostat controlled Rhino to it. And probably go for the 6inch as you can always turn it down.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eightleggeddj For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17), MC-Yen (15-12-17)

Thanks

6" is the diameter of space the air is pulled through.

I'd say the noise is similar to that of a tumble dryer

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nom For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks

ok i see, i think i'll get the 5inch rvk for the first 2 or 3 grows then upgrade, ill get the 6 when i upgrade and have the 5 and 6 work with the ecotechnic
    noise will be less of an issue after the first couple of cycles, and ill see about building the silencer boxes