Thread: First time DWC. Root rot?

Vibestek95 Guest

Default First time DWC. Root rot?

So this is my first shot at DWC. I've been a coco grower for 4 years with no root issues.

Anyway this is a 12 week from seed plant that 5 days ago looked healthy. I was away and when I came home I saw she was looking pretty sick. The roots had started to go brown and she looks like she has some deficiencies. I have since added a second air pump for more oxygen and have light proofed the bucket with black/white mylar. I will soon get black air line or duct tape over it.

Water temps - 62-69 degrees
    Air temps - 66-73 degrees
    Water PH - 5.3 - 5.8
    I only have a cheap uminilife TDS 3 PPM meter but I only feed 3/4 of the recommended doses the nutrient bottles suggest.

I use GH grow + Bloom , Magne cal Plus, advanced nutrients B52
    I also have access to advanced Nutrients Sensi grow a+b coco pH perfect, canna boost, cannazyme, pk13/14. Though I stopped using cannazyme in my DWC as it caused my roots to go brown and when I stopped using it they recovered? Anyway since then this happened.

If this isn't caused by root rot, could I be under/overfeeding.
    Are my two air pumps enough for 8 Liters of water?
    What can I do to make her happy again?

Sent from my 4034X using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vibestek95 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

i`d remove that plastic around the stem base.....let her breath bach

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,218 Times

As above the clay balls should stop light penetrating to roots.
    Its a weird one because from temps of the feed the highest it went was to 20c
    I have no experience with those pumps but are they running right.
    Show your bubbles bud
    Don't ever go by charts always go by your meters buddy
    They don't look overfed at all tho
    Some nutrients can stain roots tho, do your roots smell atall?

What strength is your feed? And do you drop pH to 5.3 much?
    Last edited by ENGLISH_HERBSMAN; 17-12-17 at 02:08 AM.
    if i help drop a THANKS its free

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ENGLISH_HERBSMAN For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-12-17)

Vibestek95 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nooby_dr_g_is_back View Post
    As above the clay balls should stop light penetrating to roots.
    Its a weird one because from temps of the feed the highest it went was to 20c
    I have no experience with those pumps but are they running right.
    Show your bubbles bud
    Don't ever go by charts always go by your meters buddy
    They don't look overfed at all tho
    Some nutrients can stain roots tho, do your roots smell atall?

What strength is your feed? And do you drop pH to 5.3 much?
    I will post photos of the bubbles when I return home tomorrow.

I change the water every week I start from 5.3-5.5 and by the 7th day its at the low 6 range. Should I maintain it at 5.5ish all week. If blacking out the bucket doesn't help with discolouration due to root rot I will increase feeding dose.

As to what the other user said, should I remove the plastic above the clay balls too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vibestek95 View Post
    I will post photos of the bubbles when I return home tomorrow.

I change the water every week I start from 5.3-5.5 and by the 7th day its at the low 6 range. Should I maintain it at 5.5ish all week. If blacking out the bucket doesn't help with discolouration due to root rot I will increase feeding dose.

As to what the other user said, should I remove the plastic above the clay balls too.

Remove the plastic but cover up the rest of the Rockwool with clay pebbles.
    Root rot tends to stink a bit so this should give an indication if u have it or not.

If ur not using any organic nutes then u could try some liquid oxygen in ur bucket at a rate of 1ml/L. This will beat back any root rot and give u nice healthy roots. I use it as a rule of thumb every top of a DWC.

BT

Thanks

hey buddy i used 3 of the 4w versions of those pumps in a 10L dwc and it wasnt enough. entire plant collapsed on me near the end and the buds were useless. rather than buying more pumps though id just go get an nft res. £30 and you dont need any extra air. best system ever. i never seen hydroguard or sm-90 in that list there, are you using something to keep the res clean? or is that what cannazyme does? not familiar with that one.

Hobbit Guest

some nutes and additives do that. Drop the zyme out and see if the new growth stays white.. Whats goin on upstairs im not sure. Look a bit hungry imo.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

i would uprate your airpump mate. something around 10 litre/ minute would be much more efficient.
    I notice the airline is kinked where it comes out of the pump. this will restrict airflow too which wont help.
    You will need some H2o2 in there too to kill off the bacteria that are in your roots, or if you are a cheapskate like me, just add a drop or 2 of household bleach, its the same stuff, just much more concentrated.

Keep the bucket temps between 18-20 degrees with iced bottles etc and you should be good.
    Hope you get it sorted

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,095 Times

Are you running a chiller?