Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Essentials PH pen pissing me off

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Essentials PH pen pissing me off

I have a Essentials PH tester, which I would consider to be a mid range priced pen. To be truthful I am not overly impressed. Very slow to read, sometimes starts at over 12 then you have to wait for what seems like an age for it to go down to 5.8. Needs calibrated every 4-5 days and then often get an error reading which won't go off until left for 24 hours or longer.

Looking at the Blue Tab. They are crazy pricey, are they worth the extra???

I had a ebay tenner special which wasn't to bad and did an instant read, just didn't last long. My Essentials pen is only 6 months old and has been well looked after.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

Blue (18-12-17), GEORGE (18-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Definitely sounds faulty, especially if it's showing error. They usually show a reading pretty much instantly and only need calibrating monthly. Ive had mine over 2 years with no issues

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-12-17), toblue (23-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

BritishBotanics (19-12-17), GEORGE (18-12-17), ggotch (19-12-17), Karsa (19-12-17), M_C (19-12-17), toblue (23-12-17)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Sounds like it's faulty buddy. I test mine regularly but it's been fine since I got it... Mind mine isn't that old.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-01-18), toblue (23-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

I've had mine a couple of year now, no issues at all
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-01-18), Karsa (19-12-17), toblue (23-12-17)

Hobbit Guest

Blue lab is gold mate, ive let it dry a couple of times and once recalibrated its stayed accurate.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hobbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 8,849 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I have a Essentials PH tester, which I would consider to be a mid range priced pen. To be truthful I am not overly impressed. Very slow to read, sometimes starts at over 12 then you have to wait for what seems like an age for it to go down to 5.8. Needs calibrated every 4-5 days and then often get an error reading which won't go off until left for 24 hours or longer.

Looking at the Blue Tab. They are crazy pricey, are they worth the extra???

I had a ebay tenner special which wasn't to bad and did an instant read, just didn't last long. My Essentials pen is only 6 months old and has been well looked after.

sounds faulty to me,when its doing a full scan every time it probably means the battery is duff or has a bad loose connection.only way i can reset mine to do a full new scan is to remove battery n replace,does it then but again its still quick to arrive at its conclusion.

perhaps store it with 7ph water in its cap,keep it in right area.

i have one and thats as quick to read as anything else ive got,and tbh hasnt been far out at all when checked for calibration every month-6 weeks ish.

id check to see if its in warranty still and send back to seller etc in first instance,obviously if not then its diy time.
    Last edited by ggotch; 19-12-17 at 11:20 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggotch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

My second or third :/ works fine its about looking after them tbh. Calibrate as often as possible. As bud says always put the cap back on you dont want the kcl inside the pen to dry out. You could also store it in kcl solution thats what im gonna do on my next pen.

And always rinse it after using.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I wouldn’t spend the extra on the blue lab unless it was the guardian thing, my essential pen must of give a good couple years especially when I kept the tip in water
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

British green (19-12-17), GEORGE (07-01-18), ggotch (19-12-17), Karsa (19-12-17), toblue (23-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Thanks for all of the advise lads. I have left the cap off a few times so maybe it has dried out but to be truthful it has always been slow starting way above what the Ph actually is and then counting down. It's definitely faulty. It has now started reading to what I think is correct but won't stop flashing. Bought a cheap one for to get me by until after Christmas and will give Essentials another go, seems I must just have been unlucky with mine..
    Last edited by toblue; 21-12-17 at 01:40 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-01-18), ggotch (21-12-17)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast