Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lollipopping/defoliation

Thanks

Default lollipopping/defoliation

so this question has probably been answered but to save time i'd like an answer from one of you experienced growers. i am looking to defoliate the bottom. my question is. i am growing 6 plants in a 2.4m x 1.2m x 2m, 2 of my plants have stretched slightly more and i'm wondering how i can 'sort it' im thinking of defoliating all the stems that are too low and keeping only the tall lankier tight noded branches and then tie them down so they are level with the rest. is it ok to slice off all the branches that are too high? will cropping off too many stems actually decrease my yield? would i need to let them veg another extra couple of weeks to allow them to recover? i've heard of people supercropping up to a week OR TWO! into flower... which seems crazy, people say it stops stretch etc... whats peoples opinions on cropping off main stems that are too low to the rest of the canopy? obv im not supercropping but possibly it probably causes as much stress as supercropping... i have 6 plants in wide a 2.4m x 1.2m x 2m and vegged for about 7 weeks s they are wide as hell and about 3/4 of the tent. theory behind that being 3/4 of a scrog screen 3/4 of a tent. i'm planning on going 12/12 in the next couple days but if you think i need to veg a little longer to allow them to 'recover' a bit. let me know all your guys thoughts that have experience in this defoliation stuff. many many thanks in advance and i'm sorry its a very large paragraph

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilikebigbuds For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-12-17), Ironman (22-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Hi mate, I would always give them 5 to 7 days to recover from any defoliation/chopping. With regards to loss of yield, having less colas before flower should mean fatter more solid nuggs. However it's the lack of recovery time that will make the yield suffer.

Sent from, Thames Iron Works.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

ggotch (22-12-17)

Thanks

I super cropped a plant that was too tall at 3 weeks flowering and have experienced no negative effects. Honestly it was charging back up towards the lights within a few hours. I have also been defoliating my plants throughout their life cycle (currently on week 4), and again, they seem to only love me more for it. They have been topped and LST'd quite a bit as well. I defoliate pretty hard too, I basically don't have any large fan leaves at all. I've not noticed any growth slowing down, and honestly at week 4 my plants look much further along in budding than most I've seen.

These plants are much hardier than you think. Keep the conditions optimal and you've gotta really fuck up to fuck up. Good luck mate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,851 Times

Quote Originally Posted by superbeasto View Post
    I super cropped a plant that was too tall at 3 weeks flowering and have experienced no negative effects. Honestly it was charging back up towards the lights within a few hours. I have also been defoliating my plants throughout their life cycle (currently on week 4), and again, they seem to only love me more for it. They have been topped and LST'd quite a bit as well. I defoliate pretty hard too, I basically don't have any large fan leaves at all. I've not noticed any growth slowing down, and honestly at week 4 my plants look much further along in budding than most I've seen.

These plants are much hardier than you think. Keep the conditions optimal and you've gotta really fuck up to fuck up. Good luck mate.

Any pics?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Currently Growing Royal Queen's Critical and Humboldt's Blue Dream in Wilma 2000 Watts - https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d-RQS-Critical

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nappa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nappa View Post
    Any pics?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    All pics are in my diary here: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=164411

9. The Following User Says Thank You to superbeasto For This Useful Post:

Karsa (23-12-17)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Quote Originally Posted by superbeasto View Post
    All pics are in my diary here: https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=164411

Any results on auto's doing this?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa View Post
    Any results on auto's doing this?

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Never grown any autos, sorry mate!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to superbeasto For This Useful Post:

Karsa (23-12-17)

Thanks

so i decided to lollipop and defoiliate, ive removed bottom 1/3 of the stems/leaves and going to veg it an extra week then flower it. will the extra veg be worth it? people say they're still really vegging durnig first 2/3 weeks? im hoping to let it recover more during veg so it i don't loose time in flowering with it repairing.... any thoughts if its worth the extra week or 2 after brutally lollipopping her

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

I remove only dead or dieing matter atm I dont have any dead stuff ....imo if the plant produced it. ...its for a reason and that reason is not for being binned

At the rear they approaching 5 foot, it can shock a plant into a stall to !!! ............ach @ samson !!!!

Great googly moogly...
    Last edited by Captain Beefheart; 23-12-17 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilikebigbuds View Post
    so i decided to lollipop and defoiliate, ive removed bottom 1/3 of the stems/leaves and going to veg it an extra week then flower it. will the extra veg be worth it? people say they're still really vegging durnig first 2/3 weeks? im hoping to let it recover more during veg so it i don't loose time in flowering with it repairing.... any thoughts if its worth the extra week or 2 after brutally lollipopping her
    I don't think you have to wait a full week to let them recover. Like you said they're not going to start flowering straight away. Keep an eye on them and do what you feel based on how they are reacting. If you aren't restricted for grow space or time, then 6+ week veg is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beefheart View Post
    I remove only dead or dieing matter atm I dont have any dead stuff ....imo if the plant produced it. ...its for a reason and that reason is not for being binned

At the rear they approaching 5 foot, it can shock a plant into a stall to !!! ............ach @ samson !!!!

Great googly moogly...
    I think that way of thinking is counter to the basic concepts of growing cannabis indoors. If the way your plants evolved to grow in the wild was the ideal way to grow them indoors, we wouldn't even have this subforum "Advanced Growing Techniques". As indoor growers, we do all kinds of things to modify our plants to grow more optimally in a small box under a light bulb. The primary reason for employing defoliation techniques in your grow would be to thin out a dense canopy to allow more light penetration and reveal shaded bud sites. More tops having more access to light = more yield. As far as shocking or stressing the plant, I think that all sorts of insects and critters would munch on cannabis leaves in the wild. As evidenced by the fact that as soon as you remove a fan leaf, go back in 10 minutes and the wound has already "scabbed" over. A few days later, the nub will dry up and fall off completely. Like it never even happened. I think plants evolved to deal with this. Millions of years ago, if a cannabis plant couldn't survive and reproduce after a hungry caterpillar munched away half its leaves, then that genetic weakness was bred out of the gene pool and the hardier plants survived.

Just my $0.02 on the topic.
    Last edited by superbeasto; 23-12-17 at 11:23 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to superbeasto For This Useful Post:

tom222 (24-12-17)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast