Thread: How do you dry and cure?

Thanks

Default How do you dry and cure?

Hello all. Got a couple of ladies due for the chop next weekend. This lot are Mephisto Sour Crack autos finishing at week 9.
    My questions for you is how do you dry and cure? What do you find works best?
    I’ve only grown twice in the past, and have come across problems in getting rid of the damp farm hay smell and getting the rock hard dry stinking bud I’m used to buying from the local weed guy.
    My first grow I flushed them with plain water for one week, cut them down, trimmed them by hand and dried the buds in a drying rack for four days, RH 55% temp 21 with a fan blowing onto the floor to keep air circulating. I waited until the stems snapped and felt dry on the outside before jarring in large air tight mason jars opening ever day for 15 mins for the first week and then every other day for another week and so on, but the weed never lost it’s hay smell.
    My second grow was a similar way but leaving it longer before jarring, but again it wasn’t the best smelling or tasting.
    I had hygrometers in each jar keeping the humidity around 60%.
    Any suggestions on techniques to use this time? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    What has worked for you?
    Do you find drying the plants whole and trimming once dry improves smell and taste?

Thanks
    YB
    ( pics taken today )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yardie-bre For This Useful Post:

Blue (22-12-17), GEORGE (30-12-17), Ginger-bud (23-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Remove just a few large fan leafs, Make one cut at the main stem where it joins with the medium then hang the whole plants in one piece upside down. Rh 60% Temps 16-18c. Around 2 weeks slow dry followed by a dry trim up.

Ive found this method works really well and holds in those fresh terps and taste. No dry hay smell whatsoever

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

autobox (30-12-17), GEORGE (30-12-17), Ironman (21-01-18), J.18 (22-12-17), OakyShades (24-12-17), Ralf454 (10-01-18), Valentina (26-05-18), Yardie-bre (22-12-17)

GMOGreen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Remove just a few large fan leafs, Make one cut at the main stem where it joins with the medium then hang the whole plants in one piece upside down. Rh 60% Temps 16-18c. Around 2 weeks slow dry followed by a dry trim up.

Ive found this method works really well and holds in those fresh terps and taste. No dry hay smell whatsoever
    Hey Blue, sorry to semi high jack the thread. I've done the above method on Monday with a very early plant (super airy buds). But the buds are already pretty much dry but the stems still bend

What would you recommend?

I was thinking destalk and jar tonight

Rh has been 55-65% Temp 16-18c

Sorry again

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=163679

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

Blue (22-12-17), GEORGE (30-12-17), Yardie-bre (22-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GMOGreen View Post
    Hey Blue, sorry to semi high jack the thread. I've done the above method on Monday with a very early plant (super airy buds). But the buds are already pretty much dry but the stems still bend

What would you recommend?

I was thinking destalk and jar tonight

Rh has been 55-65% Temp 16-18c

Sorry again

I would give them another day or two then trim and break them down. Jar them up if your sure there almost dry, pop in a mini Rh meter and see just how dry they are. If there somewhere around 65%- 70% burp the jars repeatedly for a few days until the Rh drops slightly then leave sealed to cure.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-12-17)

GMOGreen Guest

I would give them another day or two then trim and break them down. Jar them up if your sure there almost dry, pop in a mini Rh meter and see just how dry they are. If there somewhere around 65%- 70% burp the jars repeatedly for a few days until the Rh drops slightly then leave sealed to cure.
    Cool, thanks dude

I think if I don't do it tonight they will probably crumble tomorrow

I'll bung em in a jar and see where it goes. Tbh I would sooner slow down the cure and burp longer if needs be

Thanks alot for your help.

My 2 cents for the Op

Low and slow man, the longer you can draw out the process the better in my opinion. Gives the chemicals used for growth time to break down and smooths the whole thing out

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

Blue (22-12-17), GEORGE (30-12-17), OakyShades (24-12-17), Yardie-bre (22-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,218 Times

you can always bang them all in a bag and let it sweat overnight
    moisture comes from the centre into the rest of the bud
    i do this if drying too quick then hang back up
    you get an extra day or 2 or even 3 out of it then into jars
    if i help drop a THANKS its free

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ENGLISH_HERBSMAN For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-12-17)

Thanks

Thanks for that Blue.I,ve just copied your method with my freshly chopped Gorilla Glue.
    " I,ve only used Cannabis twice.1977-2000,and 2005 to the present"https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?163595-Autobox-s-First-Diary

14. The Following User Says Thank You to autobox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-12-17)

Thanks

Hey, guys
    I have a question about the steams. On my last harvest I didn't leave the buds on steams hanging. I cut them off right in beginning of the bud. I dried just the "balls" on a table covered with two layers of a a screen like a sieve to better air circulation (one covering the table, one covering the buds). I noticed that the time to dry was faster (just one week) but I don't know if this was related to the stream (OG Kush) or because them were without the steams. What do you think about this?
    Thanks!

Enviado de meu D6503 usando Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoid_br For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (22-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

I cut mine off and dry sometimes on a screen, and some times in a paper bag, and some times just under a paper towel. They do dry a little faster, then you can go into the jar's for a couple of week cure, before putting up for a few months. I hope this helps. JMO