Thread: Extremely short and bushy only 2ish weeks old?

Thanks

Default Extremely short and bushy only 2ish weeks old?

Hi guys just a few quick questions. I planted 3 girls (Auto critical) into 11 litre pots from day one, they're about 2 weeks in at the moment. I've been watering very lightly, maybe 50ml every 4-5 days and they seem to be liking it. But they're very short (about 5 inches) but extremely bushy with lots of new leafs appearing, is this normal? Also one of the plants has a couple of brown bits on on of the fan leaves. Images attached

Should I water until it comes out of the bottom of the pots slightly as I'm scared the water down there might get stagnant, I've added a ton of perlite with the mix for drainage and drilled extra holes in the pots.

Also some of the leaves are pointing down "claw" slightly as the ends? Not sure if this is a problem

Images here: https://imgur.com/a/sgZcQ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skynexer For This Useful Post:

gardro (26-12-17)

The Aspie Toker Guest

That's fine, there's nothing wrong with short and busy. You must be feeding them something because the clawing and dark green leaves is a sure sign of too much Nitrogen.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

ENGLISH_HERBSMAN (27-12-17), gardro (26-12-17), Skynexer (26-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    That's fine, there's nothing wrong with short and busy. You must be feeding them something because the clawing and dark green leaves is a sure sign of too much Nitrogen.
    I actually planned to use no nutes at all until week 5ish and keep it easy, I used Blackmagic potting soil mixed with John innes no.2 so I'm not sure if that's a bit too hot?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skynexer For This Useful Post:

gardro (26-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Hi mate I started my first grow on black magic and while it's got me through ok, like aspie has recognised, it's quite rich in nutrients. Not sure what the John Innes has added in addition to this.

Mine were just like this: short, bushy, dark and clawed leaves.

They will be fine with just water (and rhizotonic) although I did flush the soil through with about 20l of water after a few weeks of veg however as I wanted to cool the mix down a bit. The run off was bright yellow!

Have a look for the orange balls in the mix- these are slow release nutrients and can be a ball ache with over feeding

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

Skynexer (26-12-17)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice mate. Do you reckon I should just water them till a bit of run off comes out the bottom? 11 Litre pots so they take a while to dry up. I think the mix was a bit heavy indeed

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skynexer For This Useful Post:

gardro (26-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

Yeah I would be watering quite a bit until water is running off. I was in 5l pots when I gave the big flush. If you have an EC pen you should measure what comes out. Mine was bad. You can get salt build up with all those slow release nutes.

I repotted from 5l to 16l and went into canna terra soil. Didn't continue with the black magic.