Thread: Indoor via Greenhouse

Thanks

Default Indoor via Greenhouse

Hi folks, I'm a newbie, so please bear with me if I sound like an idiot :-)

I currently have a few plants growing in a greenhouse. Greenhouse is sealed with plastic all around (ie.: the floor is also sealed off). When I say "sealed", it's obviously not 100% airtight, but it is well sealed off from the outside. One of the plants is an autoflower.

All plants are then, obviously, potted - currently in 10l pots, with 50l pots at hand for when they get larger. The autoflower will remain in the 10l, as it grows to about 1.5m height only.

Is it possible to use the greenhouse (which is WAAYY larger than most indoor rigs) as an "indoor" with autoflower?

My reasoning is: since light cycles are not as crucial for autoflowers, would the sun not suffice as a light source? If so, then I have a very large "indoor" option with light coming directly from the sun, no?

I live in South Africa...we have about 250 days of sunshine :-D go South Africa!!! Also, we average MORE sunshine in winter than summer (obviously because of overcast days in summer - we have summer rainfall).

Because I am a newbie, I am unsure as to what are the things that differ between an indoor environment and a greenhouse, therefore my question. I realize, obviously, that humidity control is a factor, and OBVIOUSLY the electric lights that one uses indoor (as there is no external light source).

So, what are your opinions: could I simply use Autoflowers, allow the sun to be my light, but apply other principles of indoor to my plants? Or, are there specific principles to greenhouse-growing (again, considering the fact that my greenhouse is - in a way - cut off from the outside (ie.: soil, wind, rain, temperature, insects)).

My hope is also that if I use autoflowers, I can continue to grow during winter as well. Or would the sunshine be too little? Average sunshine hours in summer are 8.8, in mid-winter it is 9.0. Obviously our summer days are way longer than winter. In mid-winter, our shortest day has 11 hours of sunlight (obviously discounting twilight).

Temperatures in mid-winter are averaged at 54F (12C) and high-low (low obviously during the night) of 66F (19C) - 41F (5C).

Cheers all
    Last edited by jazzstudio; 28-12-17 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

You'd have to think about getting the temps up somehow
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

jazzstudio (29-12-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    You'd have to think about getting the temps up somehow
    Do you mean for those few weeks in mid-winter? I'm experiencing about a 4 to 8 degree C higher temp inside greenhouse at present. Will that still be too low for winter?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,884 Times

Anything under around 16c is colder than you would like...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

jazzstudio (29-12-17)