Thread: 315w LEC/CMH lights info

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,487 Times

Default 315w LEC/CMH lights info

Just as there’s not much about on these I’m just sharing my experience with them so far as it may help answer a few questions in the future.
    So I started with 2 Maxibright 315w LEC ballasts with Philips Agro Bulbs in my 1.2 tent. From going from a 600 MH & HPS in a 1m parabolic shade I noticed the spread of light from the two LEC’s reached into the corners much better as the reflection isn’t from a circular hood!
    They seem visually brighter to the naked eyes and whiter than HPS, even though these Agro Bulbs are the flowering bulb. They do a veg bulb which I think is called the 942? But from the veg I’ve seen from these bulbs I’m very happy.
    Although my curiosity makes me want to try the veg Bulbs next time around just to see any difference. The big drawback with these lights is the price, if I want to change the bulbs it’s £100 EACH!
    So like I said I have run 2 of these in my tent until yesterday and bought a third so totalling 945w of light in there. Now theres two reasons for doing this...1. Because more light makes more bud which we all know. 2. Is the lights run much cooler than 1 600w HPS that my 800w heater is kicking in even with lights on! So I thought rather than use he cost of powering that I might as well make some use out of it with light.
    So now I have 3 to flower with which should be interesting, the temps are high enough now with lights on for the fan controller to kick it in and bring the tent to 25*C easily and the radiator on a 12 hour lights off timer.
    From the research I’ve done on these lights yield wise seem to be anywhere from 0.9 to 1.6 grams per watt as they perform about as well as a 500w hps if there was such a thing.

Pros:
    Amazingly efficient output
    Size of reflectors and bulbs
    Much less heat than HPS
    Square wave ballasts/light
    Gram Per Watt easily achieved
    PAR output of up to 1.9 micromoles per Watt.

Cons:
    Initial cost of setup (£260 bulb, ballast & reflector per light)
    Bulbs are £100 so if you’re clumsy it will hurt
    Penetration is apparently on par with 600w HPS but not 1000w

I’ll update this at the end of the grow I’ve just flipped to flower to let you know if they’re as good in flower as in veg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to widowsmite For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18), growmyown (19-05-18), RollyPolly (19-02-18), Zen Archer (19-02-18)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Looks like a banging setup mukka. What's the real draw sitting at for the lights (or am I wrong on thinking they draw less than hps but more than led).

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18), widowsmite (30-12-17)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,487 Times

They draw about bang on 315w like they say on the tin pal. I’ll have to check with the smart meter one day to see exactly 👍

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to widowsmite For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18), Karsa (30-12-17), TheGrimSqueeker (26-02-20)

Thanks

ANYmore updates on this mate?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WhySoSerious For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18)

Thanks

Would be very interested in knowing how this goes as I'm having heat problems in my cramped environment with hps lights, do you have any experience with leds? If so how would you compare the two?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RollyPolly For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18)

Guest Guest

I like everything about these except the price. Guy tried selling me one in the grow shop a few weeks ago but I can’t justify paying that much.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18)

Thanks

I have 2x 600w hps with a 315w cmh in the middle, in veg there's was no difference but since they started to flower the buds under the cmh are growing bigger faster and fatter, I'll prob go for 3 or 4x 315 cmh in my next grow

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Percie For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-06-18)