Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HPS lighting - options for small space with sub-optimal ventilation!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,269 Times

Default HPS lighting - options for small space with sub-optimal ventilation!

So, just speculative this - not planning on abandoning my LED setup just yet!

So, general consensus of opinion is that HPS/MH lighting is still the best way to grow if money/space/environment are pretty good. LED appears to be a good starter option for a number of reasons, mostly money, but am wondering if there is a good and safe option for HID/HPS/MH in a small space with ventilation limitations?

Ebay do a number of 150W digital ballasts - often sold in a basic kit with a reflector. Could you get away with that in a small tent, around 140cm high or would you not have the headroom? I'm sure it's no coincidence that I don't see many peeps growing under less than 250W with these kinds of lights so assuming it's impractical on a number of levels?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18), Greengrass (07-01-18), Hashhound (07-01-18)

Thanks

Hi mate.
    I grow in a small tent with a 150w HPS and digital ballast.Only grow autos myself,so that I dont get any height issues.
    I only grow one plant at a time in a 10l airpot and normally get between 1.5 to 2.0 oz at harvest.
    Check out my diary
    " I,ve only used Cannabis twice.1977-2000,and 2005 to the present"https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/showthread.php?163595-Autobox-s-First-Diary

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to autobox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18), Greengrass (07-01-18), Hashhound (07-01-18)

Thanks

Thanks for that - I'd seen the diary but didn't go into the setup details! That ballast you've got is the one I was looking at. I've got a light fitting and reflector that came with my original CFL setup - apparently it's compatible with HPS bulbs as long as you run it through a ballast, but I was wondering if a bog standard reflector is good enough or if a cool tube is more practical? Not entirely sure how they work or if they're worth it for less than 250w?

How tall is your tent? Do you have issues getting enough clearance above the plants - I notice you had a near miss early on in that grow with a near burning situation! And what was the yield from that grow, it's not shown at the end of the diary. Looked like a good haul

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18), Greengrass (07-01-18)

Thanks

Not sure about running hps bulbs in your cfl setup mate.
    Hopefully someone else can answer that for ya.
    Bog standard reflector is fine in my space.No need for cooltube unless you start running 250w would be my guess.
    My tent is 140cm tall,and I have no height issues at all.
    The burning situation(lol).Yeah I have had one or two incidents in the past of getting the lamp in a wee bit too close!.
    No idea of the haul yet .Hoping to hit my holy graill of 75g with this one.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to autobox For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18), Greengrass (07-01-18), Valentina (18-09-19)

Thanks

Off one plant? Nice! The CFL kit is a standard light fitting, it was actually packaged as a HPS fitting but the supplier including the requisite cord to plug it direct into the mains for use with a CFL, so essentially it'll plug right into a ballast.

This is interesting as it means I'd just need to buy the ballast and a bulb. It is tempting as an experiment!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Hid sockets aren't equipped to cope with the output of a hps over a cfl. Might wanna wait for one of the sparkies on the forum to comment for sure.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,782 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Karsa View Post
    Hid sockets aren't equipped to cope with the output of a hps over a cfl. Might wanna wait for one of the sparkies on the forum to comment for sure.

HPS is HID....
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (07-01-18), GEORGE (08-01-18), Greengrass (07-01-18), Karsa (07-01-18)

Laederon Plateau on the northern edge of the continent of Genabackis.
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,313 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    HPS is HID....
    I know. Cfl is not though is it?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,782 Times

The only difference will be the plug on the end as a CFL is designed to have a wall plug on it...

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (07-01-18), GEORGE (08-01-18), Greengrass (07-01-18), Karsa (07-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mysticjim View Post
    So, just speculative this - not planning on abandoning my LED setup just yet!

So, general consensus of opinion is that HPS/MH lighting is still the best way to grow if money/space/environment are pretty good. LED appears to be a good starter option for a number of reasons, mostly money, but am wondering if there is a good and safe option for HID/HPS/MH in a small space with ventilation limitations?

Ebay do a number of 150W digital ballasts - often sold in a basic kit with a reflector. Could you get away with that in a small tent, around 140cm high or would you not have the headroom? I'm sure it's no coincidence that I don't see many peeps growing under less than 250W with these kinds of lights so assuming it's impractical on a number of levels?
    What are the dimensions of your tent? I've subbed up (now I've figured out how to) thinking about 40x40x 140 tent, only really planning growing 1 to 2 at a time.

Cfl and led are taking a pounding everywhere I read! I'll upgrade once I've my fundamentals down

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hashhound For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast