Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HPS lighting - options for small space with sub-optimal ventilation!

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I mentored a 150w HPS grow in a chest of draws last year... buggered if I can find the link though
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

British green (07-01-18), GEORGE (08-01-18), Hashhound (16-01-18), Karsa (07-01-18), MonsterEnergy (07-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,269 Times

If memory serves, at the time I bought my CFL kit the seller also did a basic HPS kit, the only different components between the two was that the CFL kit came with an extension that terminated in a wall socket (and naturally, a CFL bulb ) and the HPS kit came with a cheap ballast and HPS bulb. The reflector and light fitting were the same, and they also sold just the light fitting separately highlighting that it was an E40 socket fitting and suitable for both - and obviously highlighting that if the intended use was not CFL then a ballast was required. I will have to dig it out and check all the details. As I said - this is purely speculative at this point.

@ M_C - Good to hear from you, dude Would love to see the chest of drawers grow! I'm guessing that you're an advocate of the micro HPS grow setup, given the choice of LED alternatives?

@Hashhound - everyone has their preferences and will shout their praises. If money, space and environment were no object then it would be all top of the range gear. I do like LED's for the compactness, but I'm starting to get interested in small HPS setup - I'd be in the interesting position where I could say I'd experimented with all three (albeit, pretty ineptly!)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mysticjim For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18), Hashhound (13-01-18), M_C (08-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 2,306 Times

Get a 250w hps and your sorted. They generate barely any heat. 2-3℃ increase at best.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Admiral For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

It is the same E40 lamp socket they use, but the cables do tend to end in different stuff. a reflector wired for CFL will end in a 3 pin mains wall plug while one wired for HID/HPS that require an external ballast will end in one of those male sealed plastic kettle socket jobs

this plugs into a matching female socket on the external ballast and then a different cable leads from the ballast to a 3 pin mains plug, so the cables arent compatible between CFL & HID/HPS without rewiring/fitting a moulded plug or buying and wiring a new cable.....considering a basic dutch barn HPS reflector is what? £15/20? I'd be inclined to just buy one.

150w HPS used to a lot more common decades ago when it was all a bit DIY and folk were ripping lights out parks and such :P then we mostly settled into the 400/600/1000w levels with 600w being far away most popular, but in recent years a lot more 150w-250w HPS options are appearing, probably more folk getting into the hobby and wanting smaller/more efficient setups, don't see any reason you wouldn't get a decent crop from them, long tried & tested tech
    Last edited by Strider; 08-01-18 at 04:04 AM.
    Strider's Sup Lemon Haze & L.A. Confidential DWC Good...hopefully...2018

SLH & Incredible Bulk DWC Actually good, honest. 2017

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strider For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18), Hashhound (13-01-18), M_C (08-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

i had a 50 x 50 in the attic as a little side tent and with these temps i was runnin a 400w mh

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,468 Times

Talking

Admiral said it about right, a 250 or 400, and can use either one. I have 400W HPS in a small closet right now, no heat problems, with just a 4" fan inside, and a 9" for outtake.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

bigbadbillybob (08-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    It is the same E40 lamp socket they use, but the cables do tend to end in different stuff. a reflector wired for CFL will end in a 3 pin mains wall plug while one wired for HID/HPS that require an external ballast will end in one of those male sealed plastic kettle socket jobs

this plugs into a matching female socket on the external ballast and then a different cable leads from the ballast to a 3 pin mains plug, so the cables arent compatible between CFL & HID/HPS without rewiring/fitting a moulded plug or buying and wiring a new cable.....considering a basic dutch barn HPS reflector is what? £15/20? I'd be inclined to just buy one.

150w HPS used to a lot more common decades ago when it was all a bit DIY and folk were ripping lights out parks and such :P then we mostly settled into the 400/600/1000w levels with 600w being far away most popular, but in recent years a lot more 150w-250w HPS options are appearing, probably more folk getting into the hobby and wanting smaller/more efficient setups, don't see any reason you wouldn't get a decent crop from them, long tried & tested tech
    As stated previously, it has the three pin male plug you show, and being a cFL kit the suppliers provided a cable with female plug at one end and three pin mains plug at the other - purely for the purposes of adapting the light fitting to work with CFL and plugging that straight into the mains. Ergo, remove the extra cable and it will plug directly into a ballast for use with HPS.

I'm going to dig the light fitting out shortly and will post some pics to show you, and yes - I will double check that I'm correct - I won't just be getting a ballast and plugging the bugger in! If it in any way represents a risk or is going to be sub-optimal, as you say - these fittings aren't expensive

Many thanks for all the input, 150W is looking like something I could work with. It wouldn't be a major change to my setup, and while I'd love to risk 250w I just got a feeling that it would require an overhaul of my ventilation tech.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by M_C View Post
    I mentored a 150w HPS grow in a chest of draws last year... buggered if I can find the link though
    Got it

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...entored-by-M_C

15. The Following User Says Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Valentina (18-09-19)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,022 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mysticjim View Post
    As stated previously, it has the three pin male plug you show, and being a cFL kit the suppliers provided a cable with female plug at one end and three pin mains plug at the other - purely for the purposes of adapting the light fitting to work with CFL and plugging that straight into the mains. Ergo, remove the extra cable and it will plug directly into a ballast for use with HPS.

I'm going to dig the light fitting out shortly and will post some pics to show you, and yes - I will double check that I'm correct - I won't just be getting a ballast and plugging the bugger in! If it in any way represents a risk or is going to be sub-optimal, as you say - these fittings aren't expensive

Many thanks for all the input, 150W is looking like something I could work with. It wouldn't be a major change to my setup, and while I'd love to risk 250w I just got a feeling that it would require an overhaul of my ventilation tech.
    Ah now I get you, it's already got a kettle socket split in the cable, yeah that should be totes fine then

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Ah now I get you, it's already got a kettle socket split in the cable, yeah that should be totes fine then
    Haha! Here's the little bleeder!;

Yep, it came with a kettle lead to attach this end to stick it into the mains, with lots of warnings in various languages to only use the kettle lead with the CFL bulb. It's reasonable quality - believe it's a ceramic fitting, not a cheap plastic job - presumably in anticipation of use with a hot bulb. I think it's viable. Got a reflector and hanging clips, would really just need the ballast and bulb and I have a rudimentary HPS setup all ready

@M_C - just about to read that diary now - looking forward to this!!! Thanks for finding it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast