Thread: Root riot straight to 18litre pot, opinions?

Thanks

Default Root riot straight to 18litre pot, opinions?

Hi guys first post here and i have to say what a site! Information overload thanks thc talk!

Anyway i have my 8 seedlings here sprouted in root riots about 4-5 days ago, no true leaves yet, and i have my 2 wilma big 4 18litre systems sitting ready to go, ive read a lot of mixed opinions on if its ok to go straight into my 18 litre pots (obviously once my root riot has roots showing and is ready for transplant) some saying i should establish a decent root ball in a smaller pot first, others saying that its completely fine and infact the opposite that the roots will have more space to grow earlier in there life and result in a better plant, im growing in a coco/pellet 60/40 mix using canna coco nutes and additives.

Any help advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated and thanks again thc talk id be lost without you!
    Last edited by Smokerontheroof; 17-01-18 at 07:30 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smokerontheroof For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-01-18), MonsterEnergy (17-01-18), Twisted (17-01-18)

Thanks

I have tried it both ways in my limited experience.

When I went from small to large directly (solo cup to 5 gallon pot), it took longer for the plant to 'get it's feet under it', as the roots searched for the edge of the pot. i was more difficult to water this plant properly, which set back feeding schedule, and caused other issues.

When i went solo cup - 1/2 gal - 1 gal - 3 gal - 7 gallon, or solo - 1 gal - 3 gal - 7 gal, I had zero recovery time, explosive growth, and a nice rootball in short order.

Just my experience, but i've read this in the past, and proved it to myself.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fishbuds For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-01-18), GreenEm (19-01-18), MonsterEnergy (17-01-18), Smokerontheroof (17-01-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

if it's autoflowering plants put em straight in there final pots,
    if there photoperiod it's better to develop the rootball by potting up,

a good rule for photos is 1 liter per week of veg, but again it's not a rule just a guide

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

ENGLISH_HERBSMAN (17-01-18), GEORGE (17-01-18), GreenEm (19-01-18), Smokerontheroof (17-01-18), Valentina (18-01-18)

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the replys guys, yeah they are photoperiod, 4 critical kush and 4 incredible bulk! If its going to set me back then i wont go straight to 18litre pots, the wait is long enough as it is lol i just reckoned that transplanting adds stress so id eliminate that factor but hey thats why i asked and thats why you guys are here thanks again