Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for help regarding switching seedling from t5 to mh :)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Smokerontheroof View Post
    One more quick question, is there any point running my t5 bulbs along with the 400mh or is it just a waste of electricity??
    A set of roller skates v a Ferrari
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-01-18), Smokerontheroof (18-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

I would say they'll get all the light they need from the MH mate so save yourself a bit of leccy, G'.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-01-18), Smokerontheroof (18-01-18)

Thanks

Point taken guys thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Smokerontheroof For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-01-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

t5's are the dogs swingers for early days , only so much light they gona take at such early stage

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18), Smokerontheroof (28-01-18)

Thanks

I know this has been posted a few months ago but wanted to share an experience relating to the OP's question which should lead to answering the question for future persons searching.

For seedling and early vegetative growth (upto 6-8 inches and / or 5 or more nodes of growth) T5's win over MH.

T5's are less beneficial for larger plants (unless you want to maintain a short and bushy mother plant) because the canopy penetration is not as good as MH, HPS, CDM or pro LED lights.

If you are using a small enclosed environment (such as a closet or tent) then T5 or CFL is really the only way to go. Using a MH or greater will cause too much heat build up issues and you would be wasting electric to cool things down without any benefit for early vegetative growth.

You CAN use a MH or even HPS to germinate and pre veg plants to maturity but you would have to keep the damn lights about 3 feet away to avoid heat stress and even light stress. YES! Plants do suffer from too much light. I learned this the hard way using only a 315 watt CDM to germinate and veg. In a 4' x 4' tent and keeping the light as close to the top of the tent as possible, temps were reaching 85F+ even with intake and extraction fans running at 50%. And the internodal spacing was ginormous due to stretching even though I couldn't physically move the light any closer without risk of burning.

Switching over to T5's saved the plants and produced much more compact plants with tight internodal growth. Once they reached 6 nodes of growth, I switched back over to the CDM and growth exploded very quickly, temps were much easier to maintain and I was able to lower the light closer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to madzilla For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2