Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Preparing veggie patch

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,845 Times

Default Preparing veggie patch

So I'm going to be doing a veggie patch this year just for things like potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc I was wondering how to prepare my soil what should I add to it if it isn't to late already?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Twisted For This Useful Post:

Ginger-bud (29-05-18), jake420 (30-05-18), midnightokah (10-02-18), redisiel (11-02-18), Trex (05-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 56,239 Times

Hey twisted . Nice man .

What youll want to do is , work in as much organic matter as you can .
    Leaves , food scraps (no oily stuff) , fish . Seaweed if you can . A good 2" layer of compost + leaves will get ya well started , best do it now so it can break down and feed the soil .
    I tend to avoid using manures , its very hot and needs to fully decompose over winter ,especially chicken shit , causes a shitload of weeds , weeds and more weeds .lol

Start yourself a compost pile/bin .

Ill go more in detail tomorrow , gotta feed ladies and get kiddoes to bed . walk dog etc lol never endin round here 😂😂😂

Organic Grow Journal
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=163164

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Twisted (06-02-18)

farmshop Guest

Nice twisted, if your going to grow carrots I'd grow them in some fine soil, with no sticks and what not in it and put them in some 5" waste pipe. The stuff that runs down the side of you house. Grow perfect straight carrots.
    I'd grow your potatoes in a bag too otherwise Mr worm could take a fancy to em. Mine were battered last year.
    Any fruit/veg that grows above ground i plant straight into the ground. Any root veg in a container.
    Good luck lad 🖒✌

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to farmshop For This Useful Post:

Trex (06-02-18), Twisted (06-02-18)

GMOGreen Guest

Love it twisted

I'm fully considering turning my front garden into a veggy garden

I'm just not 100% sure how that would work in the uk and if it may draw unwanted attention

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

Twisted (06-02-18)

GMOGreen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    Nice twisted, if your going to grow carrots I'd grow them in some fine soil, with no sticks and what not in it and put them in some 5" waste pipe. The stuff that runs down the side of you house. Grow perfect straight carrots.
    I'd grow your potatoes in a bag too otherwise Mr worm could take a fancy to em. Mine were battered last year.
    Any fruit/veg that grows above ground i plant straight into the ground. Any root veg in a container.
    Good luck lad 🖒✌

That's a cracking lil nugget of info there. Easier to control pests above ground then below

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

Twisted (06-02-18)

Mrs Beefheart Guest

nice one....ill b growing veggies as well ...happy days

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Beefheart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    Good luck lad 🖒✌

I remember this when I did a job at a guys house up on t,hills like.
    His land had a lot of sand in it and he was telling me how perfect the land was for carrots, get rocks and stuff in the way and they don't quite look like supermarket carrots.

Other thing about carrots is they used to be purple until the Dutch took a big fancy to the orange ones and it just became the common carrot we all know and love, sure you can still get the coloured ones but just shows some of the expertise the Dutch gardeners have, their plant experts.

Grow your own medicine.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,845 Times

Cheers all will be digging it tomorrow so will get some picks when it's done @trex what sort of food should I dig into it something like fruit and veg peel?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twisted For This Useful Post:

Trex (06-02-18)

Thanks

Anything man , chop in smal pieces so it can decompose faster .

But best of all is start a compost pile . Get a bail of hay or straw , shipping pallets . screw pallets together , make a bin , place chucnk of straw in bottom and build your pile , a 3x3' pile is the best . leaves , any organic matter toss it in man . turn pile every 3-4 days

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
    Cheers all will be digging it tomorrow so will get some picks when it's done @trex what sort of food should I dig into it something like fruit and veg peel?

Are you able to dig already ? Shit man , i cant even get into garden til late april til all snow and ice is gone LMFAO , we have 3-4' of packed snow , snow banks are 8-10ft high , summer feels decades away pmsl

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trex For This Useful Post:

Twisted (06-02-18)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast