Thread: Quick question regarding carbon filter and fan air volumes, :)

Thanks

Default Quick question regarding carbon filter and fan air volumes, :)

Hi guys just a quick question here, just purchased a new intake fan (8inch rvk) just waiting on it arriving, my question is can I use my old 4inch carbon filter with it just til the end of this grow, I’ve spent a fortune past couple weeks and would really like to wait until next grow to upgrade anything else, I know I can attach it easily with a reducer but will it actually work or will the airflow be too much and tear it apart possibly ruining my new fan..? The fans airflow is 796m3 per hr and the carbon filter is only listed at 350m3.. they will be run through an ECOtechnics fan controller, I know most will say I should just get the new filter and I know that’s what I really should be doing but like I say if I can get away with it without any harm til the end of this crop (10-11) weeks it would be great, sorry to rant guys and any input welcome as always!! Cheers!
    Last edited by Smokerontheroof; 09-02-18 at 12:18 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Smokerontheroof For This Useful Post:

MonsterEnergy (09-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

A 4" filter trying to clean the air from an 8" fan? Not enough contact time on the carbon mate
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (09-02-18), MonsterEnergy (09-02-18), Smokerontheroof (09-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

the filter needs to match the fans m3/hr or the filter has a bigger m3/hr.

bigger filter is much better , as mc said it will have more contact with the carbon and less stress on the fan also.

i to use the ecotechnics but thats wont change much really it may indeed slow fan speed down but if it decides run full pelt in fower theres good chance you will get smell leaks and the fan wont last to long either.

its kinda like sticking a compressed airline on the end of a maccies straw

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Peanut butter (12-02-18), Smokerontheroof (09-02-18)

Thanks

Thanks guys yeah already ordered a rhino 8inch lol be worth it in eh end and for many more to come happy Friday guys!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smokerontheroof For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (09-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,700 Times

why put a filter on your intake fan?