Thread: A quick question about E.C levels

Thanks

Default A quick question about E.C levels

Hi guys
    Just a quick one about E.C.
    My base E.C levels are usually around 0.37 in my area and atm ive been adding nutrients to make it up to 0.65 but recently the base E.C level has increased to 0.53 for some reason. The past few days ive been bumping up to 0.65 but seeing as the base E.C is higher than usual im having to put less nutrients into the water. The plants seem fine and dont seem to be getting any deficiencys yet but i was wondering whether i should be upping the E.C to 0.81 to account for the base E.C being higher?, as i usually increase the E.C by 0.28 to make it to 0.65 from 0.37.
    I hope you guys can understand that as i had trouble trying to explain it lol.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Crunchyleaf93; 13-02-18 at 06:56 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Crunchyleaf93 For This Useful Post:

Ironman (13-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Hi mate, I'm just learning coco at the mo. I grow in the dirt normally.

I understood everything you said and if I were you, I'd be upping to 0.8 for a week and keeping a close eye for any burn on the leaves. If you do get any burn drop it back down to 0.6. My background EC is 0.7 so I've got alot to think about. Lol

Or just wait and see if you get any lightening in colour of the leaves and then up it.

Let is know how you go mate😁

Sent from, Thames Iron Works.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

Crunchyleaf93 (13-02-18)

Thanks

Okay thanks for the quick response, ill try it out tomorrow when i next feed them.
    Just to let you know some of the newest leaves do look a little more pale than the older ones which are dark green, but i always thought nute deficiency started with the oldest leaves so it hasnt rung any alarm bells just yet.
    0.7 seems really high lol id be pulling my hair out at that.Then again im not sure if E.C just measures the nutes in the water or if its picking other chemicals up what the water company put in, as i dont know much about E.C at all.
    Thanks again i appreciate it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crunchyleaf93 For This Useful Post:

Ironman (13-02-18)

Thanks

my current grow is the first time I've ever used an EC meter and I've had dozens of successful harvests without one. I had been feeding full strength mixture to my hydro system for years. with a background of 0.8 I struggle to keep readings below 2.0 and have been as high as 3.0 with no noticeable ill effect on my plants whatsoever.

that said, I have been constantly dropping my nutrient mixture and even have resorted to using water with 0.0 background, I'm currently at 1/4 of recommended mixture to achieve 1.2 EC during flowering.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sal_Governale For This Useful Post:

Crunchyleaf93 (13-02-18), Ironman (13-02-18)

Thanks

veg .8 to 1.1
    flower 1.1 up wards...some say 1.4 max....depends on strain...system...eviorment etc etc.....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue poh For This Useful Post:

Crunchyleaf93 (13-02-18), HushHush (14-02-18)

Thanks

I had quite a few good harvests without but one time following the recomended dosage off the bottle it cremated the poor things ever since then i used a E.C pen.

Someone on here said that the plants can handle huge doses as long as you gradually work them up to it and my guess with your E.C levels is that the plants are just used to a high level as its naturally always high. When flowering i usually end up between 1.2-1.5 E.C but some strains have only been able to handle 0.9 while flowering, it really spins me out sometimes, nowadays i just try to let the plant tell me what it wants by looking at the colour of the leaves but i still get confused sometimes, my previous post is proof of that.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crunchyleaf93 For This Useful Post:

HushHush (14-02-18), Sal_Governale (13-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,426 Times

Start low and work up, learn to read the plants. Less is always more.

You'll know when your in the sweet spot

I think pot size is a huge contributing factor too people overlook. Small plants in large pots need a lower EC from my experience.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BudMan For This Useful Post:

HushHush (14-02-18)