Thread: Is Viparspectra 900w to much for seedlings?

Thanks

Default Is Viparspectra 900w to much for seedlings?

Hi was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on lighting for seedlings. Have Viparspectra 900w but not sure if will be to much if drop it down or if will stretch them if hoist it rite up. Has anyone used this or something similar for early stages or suggest better light for this stage?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to robailey For This Useful Post:

gardro (23-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 46,725 Times

If that's all you have it will be fine. Put it on veg only and hang around 30 inches above seedlings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gardro View Post
    If that's all you have it will be fine. Put it on veg only and hang around 30 inches above seedlings
    Thanks looked about and couldn't find much on using these for early stages. What would you recommend instead for early on or just stick with what i got?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to robailey For This Useful Post:

gardro (23-02-18)

Thanks

bit over kill imo. Just use a cfl and save some power and the planet.
    OOOOO my fingers are sooo sticky.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goochy For This Useful Post:

BornToBeAgrower (23-02-18), gardro (23-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robailey View Post
    Thanks looked about and couldn't find much on using these for early stages. What would you recommend instead for early on or just stick with what i got?
    They dont need much light in the first two weeks. Yours on full (veg and bloom) will use around 400W from the plug. On Veg only it will use around 250W so not that excessive really.

You could buy a 6500K cfl 125W, 110W T5 or get a smaller, say 300W LED. Upto you if you have the cash but its only for a couple of weeks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    bit over kill imo. Just use a cfl and save some power and the planet.
    Thought it was but didn't know if would get away with it for what CFL's cost rather not risk the seeds. What you reckon for 4 plants two 26w 5000k CFL's until few inches then start the LED on them or more?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to robailey For This Useful Post:

gardro (23-02-18)

Thanks

They dont need much light in the first two weeks. Yours on full (veg and bloom) will use around 400W from the plug. On Veg only it will use around 250W so not that excessive really.

You could buy a 6500K cfl 125W, 110W T5 or get a smaller, say 300W LED. Upto you if you have the cash but its only for a couple of weeks
    Ah great so just veg will be good enough guess just have to play with the height. Cheers for your help! Mite just chuck couple autos i got free in under it and see how they get on.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to robailey For This Useful Post:

gardro (23-02-18)

Thanks

Ah great so just veg will be good enough guess just have to play with the height. Cheers for your help! Mite just chuck couple autos i got free in under it and see how they get on.
    Keep it high, around 30 inches + and you will be fine.

Every you time you double the distance, you quarter the strength of light

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gardro For This Useful Post:

robailey (23-02-18)

Thanks

Keep it high, around 30 inches + and you will be fine.

Every you time you double the distance, you quarter the strength of light
    Sweet i'll give that ago first, will they suffer with stretching with light that high or should it be intense enough at floor level to stop it. Guess as they start to grow can start lowering and then switch to full spectrum within week or two

16. The Following User Says Thank You to robailey For This Useful Post:

gardro (23-02-18)

Thanks

Sweet i'll give that ago first, will they suffer with stretching with light that high or should it be intense enough at floor level to stop it. Guess as they start to grow can start lowering and then switch to full spectrum within week or two
    There wont be any stretching. Weak lighting will cause that like cfls. You will be more concerning about frying/bleaching but 30 inches will be fine.

Good luck and get your self a diary up.