Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ecotechnics. Fan Controller - Extractor Fan hum

Thanks

Default Ecotechnics. Fan Controller - Extractor Fan hum

Recently setup a Eurotechnics Fan Controller an issue has arisen! The extractor fan emits a droning/dense hum electrical noise when the fan is running under 62% of maximum speed.

A temporary solution has been to change the fan output mode from PHA to CON. Contactor mode (CON) switches the fans on/off with no regulation of speed. Either runs at max speed or the fan is off.

Is the noise typical/normal or is there a recommend extractor fan that is more suited to running with these voltage fluctuations, especially lower? Current extractor fan is : Rhino 150mm extractor fan.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

Ironman (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,887 Times

Whilst I've never owned a eurotechnics controller, they tend to get good write ups.... @joker_the_smoker may be able to add something?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (27-02-18), Ironman (27-02-18), joker_the_smoker (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by KingPsilocybin View Post
    Recently setup a Eurotechnics Fan Controller an issue has arisen! The extractor fan emits a droning/dense hum electrical noise when the fan is running under 62% of maximum speed.

A temporary solution has been to change the fan output mode from PHA to CON. Contactor mode (CON) switches the fans on/off with no regulation of speed. Either runs at max speed or the fan is off.

Is the noise typical/normal or is there a recommend extractor fan that is more suited to running with these voltage fluctuations, especially lower? Current extractor fan is : Rhino 150mm extractor fan.
    Can I just check. Do you mean ecotechnics controller?

If so I use both ecotechnics and 150 rhino fan.

Is your ballast near the fan or the controller box?

Sent from, Thames Iron Works.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

joker_the_smoker (27-02-18), M_C (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post
    Can I just check. Do you mean ecotechnics controller?

If so I use both ecotechnics and 150 rhino fan.

Is your ballast near the fan or the controller box?

All urz irons

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Ironman (27-02-18), Karsa (02-03-18), M_C (27-02-18)

Thanks

Ooops! Ecotechnics, yes.

Ballast is 60cm from the Ecotechnics controller.

Fan is approx 1.5m from the ballast.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

Ironman (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by KingPsilocybin View Post
    Ooops! Ecotechnics, yes.

Ballast is 60cm from the Ecotechnics controller.

Fan is approx 1.5m from the ballast.
    Test to see if it's that.

Get a sheet of tin foil, make it bowl shaped so it cover the ballast. Turn the fan speed down and see if that cures it.

Don't let the foil touch the ballast to much. Your just shielding it from magnetic field.

Let us know what happens. 😁

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

No difference! Tried the foil, still the hum. Turned off the ballast and the problem remains.

However I will be onto the hydro shop about the fan as its not a Rhino as stated in the invoice. 'ebmpapst Radical SuperSilent', whatever that is !

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

Ironman (27-02-18), M_C (27-02-18)

Thanks

It will make the fans hum slightly this aint a deal breaker for me. If you want a controller that dont make them hum at all you need a vairac controller

That setting is bit sketchy if you wer in mid flower i wud prefer them runnin 24.7.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Karsa (02-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    It will make the fans hum slightly this aint a deal breaker for me. If you want a controller that dont make them hum at all you need a vairac controller

That setting is bit sketchy if you wer in mid flower i wud prefer them runnin 24.7.
    Maybe I am being sound sensitive! It's in a spare room of the house so not a headache scenario. Will put up with it for now, maybe enclose or wrap something around the fan unit to dampen the hum. I doubt the hydro shop will feel obliged to sort anything out as I cut off the extractor plug to fit the fan to the controller unit...

Currently at mid-way veg stage. Set the Ecotechnic to; Desired temp: 26, Desired humidity: 68, Heater Temp: 18c, Fan min 50 Fan max 80.

Have a humidifier in the tent that I need to reevaluate the frequency, duration and output as the humidity levels are noway near high enough.

And to top it off the plant went in the Rhizosystem a few days ago. Nutrient mix is 1.0EC and run-off 1.7 in the last 3 irrigations (overfeed). Assume I should add water to the current mix in the nutrient tank to get that 1.7 level down.

All fun and games

Thanks for the assistance/advice guys,,

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

One of me rvk extractor fans are in the attic so i jus wrapped a old bed blanket round in what a difference that makes. Me intake fan in the groom an while it does buzz i stuck it in big cardboard box an filled it with insulation. Wud be wuda better using an mdf box instead am jus lazy but will do it sum day lol.

Shit mate if that cumin out that high ec your heavly overfeeding. An possible flush needed to. I wud get diary goin bro so i can tag along

Glad to see you went with rhizo system its great mon

20. The Following User Says Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

Karsa (02-03-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast