Thread: Cfl vs any other lamp for mother/cuttings

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Default Cfl vs any other lamp for mother/cuttings

I have been thinking of investing in a grow tent just for a couple of mother plants and cuttings/early veg. Looking at the Hydrolab LAB120-SX (120cm x 60cm x 160cm) which I will place on it's side giving me 120cm height.

I am having trouble deciding on what lighting to use.

3 x 300w CFL lamps ( I have hoods) will cost just under £100.00 and I think?? will pull just over 200w from the wall.

1 x 250w MH will cost around £100.00 with adjustable ballast and will pull 250w.

LED I suspect will not be suitable due to only having 120cm height.

T5 might work if I had a few smallish units to allow for different size plants but they need to be so close to the plants maybe this wouldn't work.

Maybe a mixture of different types of lamp would be the answer??

Heat build up wouldn't be a problem apart from a few months of the year and even then it would be minimal, I will in fact need a small heater in there.

Any advise would be appreciated on any aspects of this mother/cuttings tent setup.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    I have been thinking of investing in a grow tent just for a couple of mother plants and cuttings/early veg. Looking at the Hydrolab LAB120-SX (120cm x 60cm x 160cm) which I will place on it's side giving me 120cm height.

I am having trouble deciding on what lighting to use.

3 x 300w CFL lamps ( I have hoods) will cost just under £100.00 and I think?? will pull just over 200w from the wall.

1 x 250w MH will cost around £100.00 with adjustable ballast and will pull 250w.

LED I suspect will not be suitable due to only having 120cm height.

T5 might work if I had a few smallish units to allow for different size plants but they need to be so close to the plants maybe this wouldn't work.

Maybe a mixture of different types of lamp would be the answer??

Heat build up wouldn't be a problem apart from a few months of the year and even then it would be minimal, I will in fact need a small heater in there.

Any advise would be appreciated on any aspects of this mother/cuttings tent setup.
    Hi mate, whilst I can't really advise you on this as I have limited experience with mothering plants. I did see Captain Beefheart I think it was that has a mother under 1 single 100 watt cfl. I think she is over 2 years old as well.

I'd be looking into a t5 unit personally bit as I say that's with not alot of experience😉

Sent from, Thames Iron Works.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

toblue (07-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Many thanks Ironman. I do have some t5's so will mabe stick them in. Might go for a 250w MH at one end to give me a bit of heat and power for when the cuttings start to grow. Trouble is the out building the tent will go is maxed out before the electric trips. I think if The tight arsed Welsh Captain can get away with a 100w cfl my mother plants will cope with the overflow from a 25oMH and a few 2' T5's.

I presume if I get tight for space a mother could be pushed into the corner of my veg my main room.
    Last edited by toblue; 07-03-18 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,887 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ironman View Post
    I did see Captain Beefheart I think it was that has a mother under 1 single 100 watt cfl. I think she is over 2 years old as well.
    I think it is actually a household 10w CFL?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Hippy Crack (07-03-18), Ironman (07-03-18), toblue (08-03-18)