Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: First time, planning setup with a Secret Jardin DR60 tent, looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,779 Times

Quote Originally Posted by BB View Post
    Each to his own pal.used mh and hps for close on 20 years now.im sure led has there place...just not with me.😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haha, likewise. I've used led for last 6 years. Every winter I think what a ball ache wen I'm putting in more heat than light but come the summer I'm reminding myself why I did this. If I had the space I might reconsider but I know where I am with my twinklies 😀

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phineasfreek For This Useful Post:

BB (13-03-18), GEORGE (06-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 52,398 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasfreek View Post
    Haha, likewise. I've used led for last 6 years. Every winter I think what a ball ache wen I'm putting in more heat than light but come the summer I'm reminding myself why I did this. If I had the space I might reconsider but I know where I am with my twinklies 😀
    That’s one thing I’ll agree on is the summer is a bummer 😩

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BB For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-18), Phineasfreek (13-03-18)

Thanks

I have another question that really require experience to answer.

I will only be growing Sativa plants, the strain with the most Indica I am planning to grow is Amnesia Haze which is [Sa 70% In 30% Ru 0%] according to the supplier of the seeds, though my first grow will be Chocolate Haze which is [Sa 95% In 5% Ru 0%](I might grow Amnesia Haze first since I know I like that one) but the only strains I am interested in are at least 70% Sativa.

By the way, is a description such as [Sa 70% In 30% Ru 0%] tied to any real fact, or is it simply an lose approximate estimation based on the strains parents?
    It is obviously no Ruderalis in such a strain, but what does 70% Sativa actually mean?

Back to the real question, since I am all into Sativa strains and really really dislike Indica, I have chosen the tallest tent I can find which is 170cm, but there are tents as have been mentioned in this thread that are 60*60*150cm as well as 60*60*120cm. The place where the tent will be put allows for 170cm but do I need those extra 20-50cm?

I will attend my plants very well and I really look forward to immerse my self with LST, and although the first thing you learn while studying sativa vs indica is that indica plants are generally short and bushy and sativas is tall and thin and can grow into real monsters as far as height is concerned. Which is the hole justification for such a high tent, but do you think I will ever be glad I chose such a high tent?
    Maybe some day I want to move the tent and then 170cm might be too tall, and unless I have faced situations in which I was glad I had those extra 20cm or 50cm then I would think I should have chosen a smaller size.

I can understand if you can't answer this, but what is your best guess?
    Can a high degree of LST + topping/fimming tame a sativa to the extent that 150cm or 120cm is just fine?
    Are there any other possible benefits to having those extra 20cm or 50cm that I as a beginner aren't aware of?

About my dislike of indica, I simply have had more than enough of any cannabis that makes me tired and inactive, which based on my own experience is a trait of Indica, but I might be wrong about establishing such clear divisions between Sativa and Indica.
    Last edited by DDG; 15-03-18 at 09:05 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (06-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,876 Times

Extra height is always useful

I'm more an Indica fan but the last Sativa I grew took all my available height (1.85m) - that said, I didn't train her much
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

DDG (16-03-18), GEORGE (06-04-18)

Thanks

Thank you for sharing, and thank you all others whom have answered, it has really helped me out a lot.

As for the issue of the tent height it has been decided for me, the DR60 have unlike the other 60x60cm tents two lower 150mm air vent slot or what ever it is called, and the other ones only have 1 lower 150mm hole which is positioned on the wrong side for me, that side will be facing a wall so I have to go with the 170cm tent. But that's fine.

Although I wonder about something, I could order the tent and then find out but as most stuff is ordered from the UK I like to buy all I need at once so I don't have to pay for the shipping twice(there will be orders from multiple places any way), I want to ask about what sort of ducting components I need, but first I just ant to make sure that I am not making a mistake by buying a 125mm Rhino Pro filter. As far as I understand given the low exchange rate I am going for(36m3/h) the most suitable filter would be there smallest which is 100mm(can't recall the air volume rating but it is smaller than the 125mm filter). But it is simply much easier to get the 125mm filter as the extraction fan I will order is also 125mm. I think I am simply writing this in case it would be a mistake to do so, but I don't think that should matter much, right?

Well so I have a 125mm filter, 125mm fan and a 150mm opening in the tent so I simply need a female-female duct connector, some 125mm acoustic ducting and a 125mm-150mm reducer, I am not sure how that reducer gets attached to the tent but I'll figure that out.
    What makes me more uneasy is the 100mm intake fan, I am going with the S&P TD-SILENT 350/125 and S&P Silentub (STUB100)(thank you Phineasfreek for informing me about those), what I wonder is how do I attach the S&P Silentub (STUB100) to the tent, fist of all I need a 150mm-100mm reducer, but does that reducer fit right onto the vent with some duct tape or do I need some other vent part. That fan appears to be made to be attached right onto a wall or some mounting plate, it might not be much to answer here but I feel a little confused although there are lot of things I am ordering and I have never played with ducting before.

I will order everything I need except for the LEDs and then I get the best LEDs I can afford.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,779 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DDG View Post
    Thank you for sharing, and thank you all others whom have answered, it has really helped me out a lot.

As for the issue of the tent height it has been decided for me, the DR60 have unlike the other 60x60cm tents two lower 150mm air vent slot or what ever it is called, and the other ones only have 1 lower 150mm hole which is positioned on the wrong side for me, that side will be facing a wall so I have to go with the 170cm tent. But that's fine.

Although I wonder about something, I could order the tent and then find out but as most stuff is ordered from the UK I like to buy all I need at once so I don't have to pay for the shipping twice(there will be orders from multiple places any way), I want to ask about what sort of ducting components I need, but first I just ant to make sure that I am not making a mistake by buying a 125mm Rhino Pro filter. As far as I understand given the low exchange rate I am going for(36m3/h) the most suitable filter would be there smallest which is 100mm(can't recall the air volume rating but it is smaller than the 125mm filter). But it is simply much easier to get the 125mm filter as the extraction fan I will order is also 125mm. I think I am simply writing this in case it would be a mistake to do so, but I don't think that should matter much, right?

Well so I have a 125mm filter, 125mm fan and a 150mm opening in the tent so I simply need a female-female duct connector, some 125mm acoustic ducting and a 125mm-150mm reducer, I am not sure how that reducer gets attached to the tent but I'll figure that out.
    What makes me more uneasy is the 100mm intake fan, I am going with the S&P TD-SILENT 350/125 and S&P Silentub (STUB100)(thank you Phineasfreek for informing me about those), what I wonder is how do I attach the S&P Silentub (STUB100) to the tent, fist of all I need a 150mm-100mm reducer, but does that reducer fit right onto the vent with some duct tape or do I need some other vent part. That fan appears to be made to be attached right onto a wall or some mounting plate, it might not be much to answer here but I feel a little confused although there are lot of things I am ordering and I have never played with ducting before.

I will order everything I need except for the LEDs and then I get the best LEDs I can afford.
    Your intake can go just sit in one of the ports, although obviously you can put it inside ducting if you want to.

With regards your choice of plant, if you really want to grow sativas you may want to reconsider your light options unless you are prepared to train your plants. LED works best if you present an even canopy. You don't have to and many led growers don't train but I suspect you may struggle to get even penetration with a more sativa dominant strain that you just let grow tall.

I've grown sativas in my 120cm tall tent, just tie 'em up and strap' em down. The girls love a bit of bondage. 😀

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phineasfreek For This Useful Post:

DDG (16-03-18), GEORGE (07-04-18)

Thanks

That sounds great, I plan to do a lot of training. I really look forward t that part actually

I thought I had decided to buy a 125mm Rhino Pro Filter, but then I came across Mountain Air filters and I read something somewhere, where ever it was and who wrote it I can't recall but they said that Mountain Air filters really are much better than any others on the market, they claimed that Mountain Air owns the mine that that particular coal is mined and that they keep all the most suitable coal for them selfs and sell on other "lower grade" coal(or something) to all the other filter manufacturers. If that is to be believed or not isn't really the issue but the Mountain Air filters are much more expensive, so then I naturally wonder if there is a reason for why they are so much more expensive.

Do anyone here know anything about Mountain Air filters as compared to others such as Rhino Pro filters?
    Last edited by DDG; 16-03-18 at 06:54 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

gardro (22-03-18), GEORGE (07-04-18), Phineasfreek (19-03-18)

Thanks

The following is really only gossip just as the things I wrote in my last post about the coal.

But I've now heard(on another forum, written 2016 IIRC) that Phresh® filters had a patent for there product and when that expired the factory that produced them for the party whom then sold these as Phresh® filters cut out the middle man and made there own such filters which the call Rhino, which is now the Rhino Pro and Rhino Hobby.
    There also seems to have happened something to the Rhino filters as they first was deemed as exelent but then suddenly they wheren't that great any more as if something in the manufacturing had changed. As I said that is only gossip really.
    But it would seem as if there is any truth to that then the producers of Rhino seem to have gotten there act together somewhat or completely.

Chooisng Rhino Pro appears to be a viable option while spending the money for a Mountain Air filter really does seem to be the best option if we neglect the higher price tag.

I will see, if my budget holds it I will get the Mountain Air filter to be sure, why not choose the best if I can afford the best, as there seem to be no dispute what so ever about whether or not Mountain Air are the best performing filters out there, there the best according to every source I find having an opinion(best in performance not in price).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hmm now it starts to become many post here, but I been have re-thinking this.

I think I will start with a Rhino Pro since they are 50% the price, at least from the sources that I have available.

But I am also wondering about what Phineasfreek you wrote that if I use soil I don't need nether a PH-meter or EC-meter. Sure I can see why I wouldn't bother with a EC-meter but isn't a PH-meter(or ability to measure PH many many times) really crucial even in soil?

Even if my tap water would be soft, adding nutrients and possible a additive or something to cure some problem if one would arise that require some cure, then don't I need to make sure that the water+nutrient+additive doesn't vary much from PH5,5 - PH6,5?
    And isn't PH-measuring the run-off water a must if I am going to be able to judge what is happening inside the soil and roots?

Well for me a PH-meter and later a EC-meter is simply a must, simply due to curiosity(I am an electronics design enthusiast and I am in particular interested in measurement and instrumentation equipment), I really can't undertake a thing such as grow a wonderful plant like some sativa without really taking a deep dive into the subject so that alone gives me a reason. But I am really curious about why I wouldn't need a PH-meter for growing in soil?

I am completely onboard with the sentiment to keep things simple, but I know my self and I know already that I will not be able to resist choosing some additive that according to the manufacturer is a super nutrient that will vastly increase my yield and potency(as if it was really true to the extent they say it does), but I will take it slow and start with halve the recommended dose of nutrients and as far as additives go I might choose one to use during the bloom.

Sorry for the long posts, but are there any choices that I can make if I really don't care about how much the final herb amounts to but really cares about the quality of the produced herb?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,803 Times

If it was me I would be looking at the digta lumii 600w dimerble to 250w. That's what I did and I have less space.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthgrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-04-18)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast