Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: maintaining 50% humidity when drying

GreenBalls Guest

Default maintaining 50% humidity when drying

Hello,
    I'm anticipating a harvest in the next day or so, and from what I've read the drying humidity should be at around 50% or less. I plan to hang them in a cupboard.

I left a hygrometer in the cupboard overnight, and it showed 60-65 %.

How do most people get to the right humidity level without buying a dehumidifier?

Similarly, I've read about people using a fan. So would I literally just stick a small oscillating fan in the cupboard? Doesn't seem right...

Cheers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

Bud Lightyear (25-03-18), Memphis69 (25-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,866 Times

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    Hello,
    I'm anticipating a harvest in the next day or so, and from what I've read the drying humidity should be at around 50% or less. I plan to hang them in a cupboard.

I left a hygrometer in the cupboard overnight, and it showed 60-65 %.

How do most people get to the right humidity level without buying a dehumidifier?

Similarly, I've read about people using a fan. So would I literally just stick a small oscillating fan in the cupboard? Doesn't seem right...

Cheers
    First 24~36 hours is always high for me because its when the plant matter is releasing the bulk of its moisture...You will most likely see it drop on its own after a day or so....Failing that I use a dehumidifier....

Regards BL

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

M_C (25-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Maybe just run the fan for a short while daily to transfer some air, and depending on RH out of the cupboard.

Current journal grow started march 11
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-dirt-4x4-tent

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    First 24~36 hours is always high for me because its when the plant matter is releasing the bulk of its moisture...You will most likely see it drop on its own after a day or so....Failing that I use a dehumidifier....
    Cheers Bud,

Just to clarify, I get the 60-65% with a test run, no plants, so I'm guessing it will go up even higher when the bud is drying. So I guess I need to buy a dehumidifier?? Why tf did everyone tell me it's a cheap and simple hobby... feels like i'm constantly shopping.
    Do you think the little £7 amazon dehumidifier with little replaceable discs ‎will be fine?

Wsg - just checking, do you mean literally stick the fan inside the cupboard facing out for a while a day? Or have the fan sat outside the cupboard? Sorry feeling thick today.

Thanks

I would just want to move the air in the cupboard once a day, and old diy, that I personally have not used but kitty litter will take out humidity, should work here, wouldn't try it in a tent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,620 Times

Personally i wouldn't risk a crop with high Rh so i use a dehumidifier whilst drying, all the best mate, G'.
    FIGHTING FOR PEACE IS LIKE FU#@ING FOR VIRGINITY

11. The Following User Says Thank You to G' For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have never used a dehumidifier, are they adjustable so they keep the humidity at 50%, my limited experience is with a humidifier and the darn thing just goes and goes and goes. If it can be used to control and not eliminate, it would be a great thing.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

G' (28-03-18)

GreenBalls Guest

Thanks very much for replies,
    I wanted to follow this advice and did a search for what kind of dehumidifier would be best, and I quickly found a thread where people were passionately saying not to use a dehu etc for drying, because it speeds up the cure and will effect terpenes etc.
    I'm left feeling a bit stuck now. Ready to chop any day now and not sure what I'm going to do, as the last thing I want is to degrade quality after all this effort so far.
    My options really are:
    1. Hang in cupboard ‎at 20c and 61% RH
    2. Hang in flowering tent above light (as a couple of sources online say the light exposure isn't as bad as people claim)‎
    3. Hang in tent in some kind of box?
    4. Use dehumidifier‎ and cross my fingers

Any further advice would be great as I gotta do this any day now, maybe today. T‎hanks‎

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (28-03-18)

Thanks

Did you try a big bowl of rice in the cupboard to see if you can decrease moisture, rice is cheap and won't remove it to quick imo.

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wsg View Post
    Did you try a big bowl of rice in the cupboard to see if you can decrease moisture, rice is cheap and won't remove it to quick imo.
    Thanks, i'll give this a go now.
    I'm curious to know what people usually do. I'm sure many others in UK have 60+ humidity.
    There's lots of people/sites saying don't use a dehu, and lots of people saying 'it's simple just keep 50%', but no1 suggesting how they get 50% without a dehu. I can't magically adjust humidity in the air.
    I'll try the rice thing as I think today is chop time, but i'd like to know how everyone else manages. Cheers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

G' (28-03-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast