Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: GMO Goes Greener

GMOGreen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    Be careful with seaweed straight from the beach. It will need washing a lot to rid it of any salt.

Personally, I leave out anything onion. Why chance it when there's plenty of other things to feed them.

I have 3 cats, but don't use their hair. We de-flea our cats from time to time, so adding possible chemicals is best avoided. Not only that, it takes forever to break down.

Here's a list of things I add to my wormery...

Coir, shredded newspaper, toilet roll tubes, corrugated cardboard, melon, papaya, figs, bananas, mango, carrots, turnip, powdered egg shell, dolomite lime.

That's not a full list, just the ones off the top of my head. There are things I'd like to add, but don't have them available.

With most of the veg, I grate it and then freeze it. The freezing helps break down the cells, and quicker for the microbes to eat.

I haven't used tomatoes. I've heard mixed reviews about them. Too acidic IMO.

If you go to ASDA around 20:00 onwards, you can get lots of fruit and veg real cheap. The later you go, the cheaper it is, but less choice of course.
    Thanks dude

Yeah I plan to rinse and soak the seaweed anyway as like ya say too much salt and if I'm making a seaweed extract it's gotta be as clean as I can get really

I'll just stay away from onions tbf, easier than worrying about it

I'll start freezing stuff if that's gonna help too.

I'm just looking to make it as sustainable as possible really so if I can source what I need without have to be a consumer in the process would be better in my opinion. I'm happy to go skip diving after stores close to save the extra few pennies but am really looking to forage and gather what I don't personally produce if that makes sense?

I don't flea treat my pets unless there is an issue. 1 was allergic to fleas so needed it monthly but has now gone to another home. My current cat ain't bothered by them so he stays natural like me 😎

🌱 current diary

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=165966

🌱 Test lab

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...d.php?t=168718

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

If you want to fatten up your worms, I use one cup of porridge oats, one cup of cornmeal (aka Polenta) and blitz it to make it fine.

One of the worst things you can do is overfeed your worms, esp fruit and veg. I personally like to go with 75% brown and 25% green foods.

Watch out for pot worms. Too many is not a good sign.

HTH

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

GMOGreen Guest

If you want to fatten up your worms, I use one cup of porridge oats, one cup of cornmeal (aka Polenta) and blitz it to make it fine.

One of the worst things you can do is overfeed your worms, esp fruit and veg. I personally like to go with 75% brown and 25% green foods.

Watch out for pot worms. Too many is not a good sign.

HTH
    Ahh okay, I heard 50/50 green to browns but thought more brown would be better

Would you say if I left grass cuttings to sun flume to a brown colour that, that would class as browns or are they still greens?

🌱 current diary

🌱 Test lab

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GMOGreen View Post
    Ahh okay, I heard 50/50 green to browns but thought more brown would be better

Would you say if I left grass cuttings to sun flume to a brown colour that, that would class as browns or are they still greens?
    I've not heard of the 50/50 ratio. Most have said (from memory) 2/3rds brown, 1/3rd green.

That's a good question about grass cuttings. I guess it will be classed as green.... and brown when it's turned to a straw-like structure.

I've got a load of comfrey growing (from seed) so that will be going into my bins at some point, along with nettles. They already get my dead weed leaves and any trim that's left over.

BTW. Don't put meat or dairy products into your bin.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18), Orderly (16-05-18)

GMOGreen Guest

I've not heard of the 50/50 ratio. Most have said (from memory) 2/3rds brown, 1/3rd green.

That's a good question about grass cuttings. I guess it will be classed as green.... and brown when it's turned to a straw-like structure.

I've got a load of comfrey growing (from seed) so that will be going into my bins at some point, along with nettles. They already get my dead weed leaves and any trim that's left over.

BTW. Don't put meat or dairy products into your bin.
    Okay 2/3 brown 1/3 green sounds alot better tbh I'll start banging in the leaf litter to get a better ratio

This is front garden based so anything like fan leaves will be dried and broken up before adding. Gonna get some weird looks with an allotment on me front garden 😅

🌱 current diary

🌱 Test lab

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Okay 2/3 brown 1/3 green sounds alot better tbh I'll start banging in the leaf litter to get a better ratio

This is front garden based so anything like fan leaves will be dried and broken up before adding. Gonna get some weird looks with an allotment on me front garden 
    When I give them food, I bury it a bit. This then allows the microbes attack the food from all directions. I also like to give them a mixture of food at a time, not just one thing.

If you're going to scavenge things like dead leaves etc., do make sure there's no slugs, snails or worst still, centipedes. The latter will eat any worm cocoons.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

GMOGreen Guest

When I give them food, I bury it a bit. This then allows the microbes attack the food from all directions. I also like to give them a mixture of food at a time, not just one thing.

If you're going to scavenge things like dead leaves etc., do make sure there's no slugs, snails or worst still, centipedes. The latter will eat any worm cocoons.
    Ahh brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. I saw snails in the bin already but didn't think they would be a problem

🌱 current diary

🌱 Test lab

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Ahh brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. I saw snails in the bin already but didn't think they would be a problem
    Generally they're not a problem. They too will digest digest organic matter really well, but why feed them and take food away from your worms. Also, they will lay eggs and then you'll have loads of them. I don't want them hatching out into my grow room.

Also, there is a species of slug that eats worms.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18), redisiel (01-04-18)

GMOGreen Guest

Generally they're not a problem. They too will digest digest organic matter really well, but why feed them and take food away from your worms. Also, they will lay eggs and then you'll have loads of them. I don't want them hatching out into my grow room.

Also, there is a species of slug that eats worms.
    Ahh okay. I'll change my tactic for a bit. I'm gonna shred a load of brown cardboard and newspapers to drop the moisture level and drive out the snails hiding in there and I'll hold off on the leaf litter till the bin is a lil more established

I imagine it'll take a while to build enough of a bed to draw many worms in. Just wanna get a nice foundation to work from

🌱 current diary

🌱 Test lab

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GMOGreen For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18), redisiel (01-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

I don’t personally put any fruit or food waste in the worm bin unless it contains goodness like left over grains because fruit is mainly water so the main thing that goes in my worm bin is the compost for the worms to finish off that’s all the food they need so my focus would be mainly on my composg pile.
    It is a fact that malted barley in the wormery speeds up the reproduction rate of worms I need to go to books for facts though
    The ideal ratio for C:N is 30-1 I believe I’ll double check but I’m going to be concentrating on mine from the next couple weeks and trust me that’s where the gold will be made.
    I’ll add all my rockdust’s,kelp,neem barley straw organic fish meal after the thermophilic stage, if we do these piles properly they can be done in a couple months but I can’t monitor mine as regular as I’d like so my excuse for last years composting was I went for the cold composting approach lol.

I’d compost anything before it goes near my garden regarding the kelp from the beach and stuff, I ferment most of my nettles and foraging I collect but use some for mulch I planted a good few comfrey last year so in the next couple years they will give me so much mulch it’ll be perfect to start off my leaf mould.

I’ll keep adding shit as I think about it mate or get around to doing my own lol
    Soon mate
    Redz
    Last edited by redisiel; 01-04-18 at 02:19 PM.
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (01-04-18)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast