Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My seeds just won't crack

Thanks

Default My seeds just won't crack

I have these seeds from alien genetics master kush been trying to get them to pop for the last 6 days and still no signs but 1 has popped and made it to soil. My question is am I doing something wrong or are they just old seeds.. I used distilled water and paper towel method and put them in a zip lock to retain moisture. What are your thoughts on this? I heard fulvic or gh diamond nectar can help what ratios do I use on if I was to use that? They are in a warm dark place too. I never had seeds take this long to pop usually I'm ready and soil in a couple days and I'm not impatient I just never had this happen before and im just curious as to why.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geokom85 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,113 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Geokom85 View Post
    I have these seeds from alien genetics master kush been trying to get them to pop for the last 6 days and still no signs but 1 has popped and made it to soil. My question is am I doing something wrong or are they just old seeds.. I used distilled water and paper towel method and put them in a zip lock to retain moisture. What are your thoughts on this? I heard fulvic or gh diamond nectar can help what ratios do I use on if I was to use that? They are in a warm dark place too. I never had seeds take this long to pop usually I'm ready and soil in a couple days and I'm not impatient I just never had this happen before and im just curious as to why.
    did you store them in your fridge for a while before you starting to germinate ?

what i do is....(and i always get 100% germination this way)

pop my seed/s in a small glass of water for a good 10+ hours and place the glass on top of my boiler

(this softens the shell if they’ve been in the fridge for a while)

then, i use the paper towel method, dampen some kitchen roll, place seeds in between some daft roll and place this in a tupperware box and place this again on the top of my boiler

after 24hours i have taproots.... every time !

i then place them into my soaked Jiffy’s and into my heated propagator under the light

keep propagator nice and humid and there you have it.... that’s exactly how i do it every time

give this a go and get back to me

F

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fieldy For This Useful Post:

British green (30-03-18), dangerscouse (01-07-18), G' (30-03-18), Geokom85 (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18), Quib (30-03-18)

Thanks

Don't really know how they were stored cuz they were givin to me by a friend I did notice it had some rice in it. I'm gona give it a shot. What do you mean by boiler tho? I'll try the rest of the master and try some Mazar Sharif he also gave me do you know anything about that strain? I do understand it's Afghan but not much more then that lol noob trying to learn it all...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geokom85 For This Useful Post:

G' (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 12,113 Times

Don't really know how they were stored cuz they were givin to me by a friend I did notice it had some rice in it. I'm gona give it a shot. What do you mean by boiler tho? I'll try the rest of the master and try some Mazar Sharif he also gave me do you know anything about that strain? I do understand it's Afghan but not much more then that lol noob trying to learn it all...
    what i mean by ‘boiler’ is my central heating boiler...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fieldy For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), bigbadbillybob (30-03-18), British green (30-03-18), G' (30-03-18), Geokom85 (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18)

Thanks

Ohh Oh ok I got you lol kinda stoned my brain was frozen for sec lol I will try it out get back to you let u know how it went..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geokom85 For This Useful Post:

G' (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,221 Times

My germination rates is pretty appalling too. All too often they pop in the paper towels but then die once potted up.

My suspicion has been temperature, and I make extra effort to have the water, soil, and germinated seed are at a similar temperature. The plan is to reduce shock but i can't say that had helped all that much.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Geokom85 (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina View Post
    My germination rates is pretty appalling too. All too often they pop in the paper towels but then die once potted up.

My suspicion has been temperature, and I make extra effort to have the water, soil, and germinated seed are at a similar temperature. The plan is to reduce shock but i can't say that had helped all that much.
    The paper towel method isn't need really if you're buying reliable seeds. Its the best way to get the seeds going for sure, but its from the old school days where seeds were more temperamental, and you'd do this to see which ones cracked. Temperature and humidity is important. I soak mine for a few hours in warm water. If they're older seeds, over a year old, ill soak a few hours longer. then put them in my medium in small pots in a heated propagator, they all pop.

Another reason I don't do the paper towel method is i don't have a constant hot boiler in my house. It'll turn off when the heating is off and shit like that, so it'll get too cold for seedlings. A heated propagator is only about £15, a good investment as it is the perfect environment for popping seeds. If you dont have a boiler thats on all the time, I advised someone to turn thier ps4 or xbox on, and leave it on for 24 horus, make sure its not got power setting on n shit so it stays on, and do the paper towel method that way. Then atleast they have constant warmth from underneath, he had the same issue with his boiler as mine.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), Geokom85 (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18), Valentina (30-03-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

warm the buggers up in the airing cupboard or somewhere nice and hot say 30 degrees keep them moist and prey to GOD twice daily.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

AND (31-03-18), Geokom85 (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18), Valentina (30-03-18)

Thanks

Thanks Machi. The seeds are kept at about 24 degrees C, but still not that many germinate. Or I have really dodgy thermometers.

Just recently I tried to pop some seeds that I got direct from Sensi, only 1 out of 4 popped. It is getting expensive!

I do have a propagator. I elevate the plate with the tub that hold the seeds and paper towel so they are warmed more evenly etc, but it is a bit hit and miss in that too.

Seriously, I had better luck with seeds from Gypsy Nirvana, and germinating in the soil!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (30-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Beefheart View Post
    warm the buggers up in the airing cupboard or somewhere nice and hot say 30 degrees keep them moist and prey to GOD twice daily.
    THIRTY DEGREES! THAT EXPLAINS IT!! Thanks Captain Beefheart!!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

Captain Beefheart (30-03-18), GEORGE (30-03-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast