Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Emerson Effect - Cutting down flower time

Thanks

Default The Emerson Effect - Cutting down flower time

I got into a conversation recently with a chap talking about something called the Emerson effect.

i didn’t chat for as long as I’d have liked to have gotten more information but basically he said you can use some far rad spectrum lighting just as the lights come on and off to shorten flower time by possibly put two weeks.

He said it basically tricks the plant somehow and means you can have your lights on 14/10 during flower. Reaching the required amount of hours the plant needs to mature through flower. I think the theory behind it is the plant when switching from lights on or off has a delay for 2 hours before it actually changes into day/night mode. 2 hours of time wasted of the plant still in day mode but not getting light.

Anyone know now more about this?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-04-18), Valentina (07-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

In that case it would mimic the natural lighting environment, dawn to dusk. Never heard of this technique but the idea behind it is sound

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (05-04-18), THE DARK KNIGHT (05-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    In that case it would mimic the natural lighting environment, dawn to dusk. Never heard of this technique but the idea behind it is sound
    Im assuming we would have all heard of it and been using it by now if there was too much to it but does sound interesting.

You basically give the plants 30 minutes of far red light at a certain wavelength with no other lights on to trigger this effect. Thus giving you an extra hour and half of useable light per day.

So in 8 weeks you’ve given them an extra 84 hours of light which is equivalent to having 9 weeks of light. If it goes by the math it cuts down a week flower time possibly by end of week 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), GEORGE (05-04-18), KieranH (23-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 23,218 Times

Quote Originally Posted by THE DARK KNIGHT View Post
    I got into a conversation recently with a chap talking about something called the Emerson effect.

i didn’t chat for as long as I’d have liked to have gotten more information but basically he said you can use some far rad spectrum lighting just as the lights come on and off to shorten flower time by possibly put two weeks.

He said it basically tricks the plant somehow and means you can have your lights on 14/10 during flower. Reaching the required amount of hours the plant needs to mature through flower. I think the theory behind it is the plant when switching from lights on or off has a delay for 2 hours before it actually changes into day/night mode. 2 hours of time wasted of the plant still in day mode but not getting light.

Anyone know now more about this?
    The first time I read about this was on the Budmaster website. They had some red LED lamps before but their range listed online no longer include them. Incidentally they also used to have a "blue moon" lamp that was mainly blue LEDs for vegging.

I must admit I am fascinated but just don't have the dosh nor resources to try them out.
    One Love, and Mon The Talk!
    The Six L Rule: No Smell, No Tell, No Sell,
    And mind those deci-BELS

May we all cross the line safe and sound, time after time, everytime.

FORUM RULES

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valentina For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), GEORGE (08-04-18)

Thanks

I was hoping there was an expert of sorts on here.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-04-18), Valentina (08-04-18)

Thanks

They're called flower initiators and they do work, though I've never used them to shorten the flowering cycle personally. Instead I give 13 hours light and 11 hours dark. Normally, that leads to an increased yield at the expense of a week or so longer flowering. Using a far red LED I was able to increase yield and bring the ladies in on time.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ragnbone For This Useful Post:

AND (13-04-18), GEORGE (13-04-18), Techead (20-07-18), turnkey (13-04-18), Valentina (13-04-18)

Thanks

Ooooooh, This really is up my street and I have been looking at it in a lot of detail, although I am not an expert.
    It is 'Claimed' that an extra seventeen percent of yield is possible and a quick look around ebay, shows the 'Experimental' Emerson Grow lights are available, whether they are affordable is another question as the price is horrendous!
    Then I spotted a CFL Grow light that 'Claims' it uses the Emerson Effect, they wanted £53 for that, again way too much for CFL.
    However 'Far Red' bulbs are available and they are quite reasonable, they are used by people in Reptile Tanks as the Reptiles like to bask in the heat.
    But, when Emerson described his finding way back in mid 1950's, he used filters on lights to attain his goals.
    It seem the 'Far Red' lights are around 735Nm to 740Nm and the effect of these is in simple terms, (That's all I understand BTW), is to put the plant to sleep quicker, hence it needs less dark time and more time under lights for Photosynthesis, which I get, however it left me with a bit of a question which I can't fathom, perhaps you can?
    Some, but not all LED Grow lights include 'Far Red' Leds already in them, why on earth would they include a wavelength that helps put a plant to 'sleep', that really doesn't make any logical sense to me?
    I have been pondering this for a very long time, as to whether it works, I guess the Emerson Effect is well documented, so it probably does and could be done a lot cheaper than commercial efforts but a 17% more yield is very enticing just to try, it won't be stronger there will just be more of it.
    Has anybody tried yet?
    Techead

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,541 Times

What I've taken from reading is basically trying to imagine the light as it naturally occurs.

With sun up and sun down there is an associated far red/infrared spike as the sun dips and the light is refracted by the atmosphere.

By switching lights on and off with little transition it doesnt closely mimic the natural transition.

Conversely there is argument that with the amount of breeding indoors, the plants may be just used to that now.

Something I'm very interested in, but doing experiments in this require a very consistent environment to be able to isolate particular elements like light recipes.

This is partly what I'm looking to do with my experimental micro environments.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-07-18)

Thanks

Hi HisHighness, I grow in 220L drums, so it's kinda easy to have different light patterns and Dark is actually Dark, unlike some grow areas I have seen, heat is my main problem, so My lights are actually off when the day is at it's warmest, I know I'm going to try this at some stage.
    I mucked about with Electroculture at one time, I didn't see a noticeable difference as there are too many variables.
    Techead
    Last edited by Techead; 20-07-18 at 07:52 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Techead For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-07-18), WF420 (20-07-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 10,402 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Techead View Post
    Hi HisHighness, I grow in 220L drums, so it's kinda easy to have different light patterns and Dark is actually Dark, unlike some grow areas I have seen, heat is my main problem, so My lights are actually off when the day is at it's warmest, I know I'm going to try this at some stage.
    I mucked about with Electroculture at one time, I didn't see a noticeable difference as there are too many variables.
    Techead
    My light patterns the same mate, still hit 33 😖

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WF420 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-07-18), Techead (22-07-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast