Thread: Removing bricks to accomadate groom ventilation

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

Default Removing bricks to accomadate groom ventilation

I have read lots in this forum recently and I see this practice of removing bricks to get your ventilation in....

....yet I see no posts about how bad/dangerous this can be for you/your family/your house so here it is...

Chimney

This is fine as long as you have no gas appliances using the chimney. If you have an appliance using the chimney and you knock a brick out anywhere in the line from the appliance to the chimney pot, the chimney WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY and you run the risk of carbon monoxide build up in the room where the appliance is...

Chimneys work on a venturi principle, air flowing over the top of the chimney pot outside creates suction down the chimney, this is what pulls out the gases produced by the appliance. If you pull a brick out and attach ventilation, the venturi will not be effective at the bottom (Gas fire/boiler etc.)

Eaves

This is a potential disaster waiting to happen, you run the risk of allowing wind blown rain or overflow from guttering inside your house. The bricks are there to stop this happening

Also, if doing an attic grow room, remember this..

The roof timbers need to breathe so mould/rot does not occur, this is why attics are draughty and only insulated on the floor. Enclosing spaces with kingspan/celotex or similar is fine but leave air gaps between insulation and roof tiles/timbers to allow circulation. Plastic sheeting also can trap moisture so, again, make sure you have good air circulation otherwise mould/rot WILL happen

Rant over, be safe

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (07-04-18), Dirty_badger (07-04-18), Done420 (08-04-18), Ginger-bud (07-04-18), M_C (08-04-18), Sadface (07-04-18), toblue (07-04-18), WF420 (07-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

Nice thread And. May have a non weed related chimney question for you tomorrow.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

British green (07-04-18), Dirty_badger (07-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toblue View Post
    Nice thread And. May have a non weed related chimney question for you tomorrow.
    Ask away mate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (07-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,676 Times

Nice bit of advice mate, I vent straight out of the chimney, but it renders my gas fire useless to be honest and extremely dangerous if I did use it ( obviously not going to) but it's all info ppl need to take into consideration when dealing with structural aspects of their homes 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hippy Crack For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), British green (07-04-18), Squaggy (20-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    I have read lots in this forum recently and I see this practice of removing bricks to get your ventilation in....

....yet I see no posts about how bad/dangerous this can be for you/your family/your house so here it is...

Chimney

This is fine as long as you have no gas appliances using the chimney. If you have an appliance using the chimney and you knock a brick out anywhere in the line from the appliance to the chimney pot, the chimney WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY and you run the risk of carbon monoxide build up in the room where the appliance is...

Chimneys work on a venturi principle, air flowing over the top of the chimney pot outside creates suction down the chimney, this is what pulls out the gases produced by the appliance. If you pull a brick out and attach ventilation, the venturi will not be effective at the bottom (Gas fire/boiler etc.)

Eaves

This is a potential disaster waiting to happen, you run the risk of allowing wind blown rain or overflow from guttering inside your house. The bricks are there to stop this happening

Also, if doing an attic grow room, remember this..

The roof timbers need to breathe so mould/rot does not occur, this is why attics are draughty and only insulated on the floor. Enclosing spaces with kingspan/celotex or similar is fine but leave air gaps between insulation and roof tiles/timbers to allow circulation. Plastic sheeting also can trap moisture so, again, make sure you have good air circulation otherwise mould/rot WILL happen

Rant over, be safe
    Great advice And and one point is also like to add about the removal of bricks is the structural safety. When removing bricks especially in the chimney you need to support the bricks above the hole with a steel. You cannot just start removing bricks without understanding what they are supporting above them. I’m venting out of the chimney and like most houses my house has two chimneys that come together in loft but are still separated. So I’m venting into the unused chimney at the front of the stack while still using my gas fire that runs up the back stack and I’ve supported my chimney with a adequate steel after a small brick calculation to work out that I have 3/4 of tonne of bricks still above me from where I vented through the stack . The amount of weight was no surprise to myself but might be to some. As I only have a meter of brickwork above my vent I think this kind of work should only be taken on by a competent person 😃🇬🇧

Sent from a green and pleasant land

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), M_C (08-04-18)

Thanks

Good point BG

Yeah, chimneys are heavy feckers, last thing you want is an issue with the brickwork cos you decided you needed a 12" hole, let alone the CO build up

BTW expandy foam is not load bearing mate

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

British green (07-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by AND View Post
    Good point BG

Yeah, chimneys are heavy feckers, last thing you want is an issue with the brickwork cos you decided you needed a 12" hole, let alone the CO build up

BTW expandy foam is not load bearing mate
    The steel is packed up on slate as I know it cannot crush under pressure and is packed like most steel lintels. I really wanted to mortar point it back in but couldn’t justify buying a bag of cement and sand just for a few inches so I foamed it up knowing it’s easy to cut out and replace once or when I have some mortar 🇬🇧

Sent from a green and pleasant land

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), ELMo- (07-04-18), Hippy Crack (07-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

I just knocked through with a chisel and club hammer....Waited for the neighbour to go out and jumped up there quick time. The chimney is as solid as a rock there were sparks coming of the chisel...One brick length = 9 inch on a solid structure relatively center no need for a support...Each job on its own merit though so as not to undermine the safe loading on the structure..Oh and make sure it's not a live chimney as in serving a fire below.

Regards BL

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), British green (07-04-18), M_C (08-04-18), WF420 (08-04-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    I just knocked through with a chisel and club hammer....Waited for the neighbour to go out and jumped up there quick time. The chimney is as solid as a rock there were sparks coming of the chisel...One brick length = 9 inch on a solid structure relatively center no need for a support...Each job on its own merit though so as not to undermine the safe loading on the structure..Oh and make sure it's not a live chimney as in serving a fire below.

Regards BL
    Nice bud!!!!!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), British green (07-04-18), millwall115 (10-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,310 Times

Good thread And.!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toms Iws Flood & drain system using coco. 2020.

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...ems-using-Coco

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom222 For This Useful Post:

AND (07-04-18), British green (07-04-18)