Thread: Can roots get too big?

Thanks

Default Can roots get too big?

So I’ve got a possible issue looming. Looks like I’ve germinated my seeds a bit too soon. My room in Snr going to be ready for a lot longer than I first thought. So I’m going to be growing in rdwc. To begin the veg for them I built a dwc system thing. Basically a Plaster’s bath tub, put some Perspex on as a lid with net pots installed. I’m worried if the roots can get too big because they was only meant to be in here a couple weeks but they may be 5 weeks. Will I have issues with the roots entangling with the other plants roots?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18)

Thanks

Excuse the typo in the title......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 196,771 Times

I've never grown RDWC but would assume the root size is proportional to the veg time?
    It's Not What You Know, It's What You Can Prove

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M_C For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), THE DARK KNIGHT (13-04-18)

Thanks

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. And my veg and time is going to be longer than I anticipated

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), M_C (13-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 66,662 Times

Quote Originally Posted by THE DARK KNIGHT View Post
    So I’ve got a possible issue looming. Looks like I’ve germinated my seeds a bit too soon. My room in Snr going to be ready for a lot longer than I first thought. So I’m going to be growing in rdwc. To begin the veg for them I built a dwc system thing. Basically a Plaster’s bath tub, put some Perspex on as a lid with net pots installed. I’m worried if the roots can get too big because they was only meant to be in here a couple weeks but they may be 5 weeks. Will I have issues with the roots entangling with the other plants roots?
    I use to use a starter tub like this. If all the plants have been together they will be fine touching toes together but will gently need separating. I used to swill the water around to help this. It’s inevitable that you will break a few but they will bounce back after a few days. The thing is if you introduce a stranger to the system the roots will not live happily together and one will kill the root system of the other. That is based on my personal experience using my starter tub and vegging the girls together. I used the same tub to root cuts which all lived happily together but i couldn’t introduce another rooted plant 🇬🇧

Sent from a green and pleasant land

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to British green For This Useful Post:

Dreger (29-04-18), THE DARK KNIGHT (13-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 79,865 Times

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Lightyear For This Useful Post:

British green (13-04-18), Dreger (29-04-18), THE DARK KNIGHT (13-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by British green View Post
    I use to use a starter tub like this. If all the plants have been together they will be fine touching toes together but will gently need separating. I used to swill the water around to help this. It’s inevitable that you will break a few but they will bounce back after a few days. The thing is if you introduce a stranger to the system the roots will not live happily together and one will kill the root system of the other. That is based on my personal experience using my starter tub and vegging the girls together. I used the same tub to root cuts which all lived happily together but i couldn’t introduce another rooted plant 🇬🇧

Sent from a green and pleasant land
    Thanks British, put my mind at rest a bit. I don’t intend of introducing anything to existing. Ive germinated 10 seeds, then the best 8 will go into the system until the rooms ready. Then I was planning on doing 6 so I’ll probably do that but I’ve been thinking about just Doing the 8

This is the veg tank, nice and shiny. Insulated reflective bubble wrap on the body and silver tape on the top. I might dub it “The Bat Tank” 🦇

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

bigbadbillybob (13-04-18), British green (13-04-18), Dreger (29-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Lightyear View Post
    I assume you mean roots as opposed to riots which i've changed it to...

Regards BL
    Ha yeah that’s the one........small riots and big riots are what we strive to achieve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to THE DARK KNIGHT For This Useful Post:

British green (13-04-18), Dreger (29-04-18)