Thread: First time growing on a balcony

Thanks

Default First time growing on a balcony

Hi,

My friend is growing autoflowers seeds on his balcony without any lamps, with natural light. All the seedlings have sprouted and are about 3cm tall. He had read online that it is advisable to cover the seedlings with a plastic bottle for the first 10 or so days of growing. So he cut 2l water bottles in half, unscrewed the lid and placed them on top of the seedlings. Now there are small water droplets forming on the leaves of the plants. Is it normal? Is the humidity to high?

Thank you

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ziedonis For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-04-18), Greengrass (17-04-18), Ironman (17-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 48,497 Times

Quote Originally Posted by ziedonis View Post
    Hi,

My friend is growing autoflowers seeds on his balcony without any lamps, with natural light. All the seedlings have sprouted and are about 3cm tall. He had read online that it is advisable to cover the seedlings with a plastic bottle for the first 10 or so days of growing. So he cut 2l water bottles in half, unscrewed the lid and placed them on top of the seedlings. Now there are small water droplets forming on the leaves of the plants. Is it normal? Is the humidity to high?

Thank you
    Hi mate, that is normal perspiration.
    At that age the higher the Humidity the better.

If it were me I'd be spraying the inside of the bottle with cold water every 4 or so hours during the day light. That will keep them cooler and stop the air inside from becoming arid.

Sent from ⚒Thames Iron Works⚒

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironman For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-04-18), Greengrass (17-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

Not a big fan of props over seedlings myself. My theory is that they need to brethe. Andnthat they arnt like cuttings that need high humidity

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-04-18)

Macky Guest

Your friend???? Its alright mate, you can say its you here lol

Ten days is a bit much, when you see the second set of leaves coming through ( not the round ones, the pointy ones) then remove the bottle. You dont want it too humid for too long with seedlings, as the Botanist said above, by you... I mean your friend lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-04-18), Greengrass (17-04-18)

Thanks

Default First time growing on a balcony

Quote Originally Posted by ziedonis View Post
    Hi,

Thank you
    Don’t stress just make small vent holes in the top of bottle. A few to start with and day by day ad more holes until she’s big enough to go in to open air, give the droplets a shake off if you are worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikeeuk1 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-04-18)