Thread: Low Background EC - Preventative Measures?

Thanks

Default Low Background EC - Preventative Measures?

Hi all,

I'm not too far from starting out on my very first grow and have been collecting all the items I think i need to get to give me the best chance of success!

I will be growing in pure coco and my first grow will be with Autos.

So far, since ill be using Canna Coco +, i have the Rhizo, A&B, Boost and Pk13/14. I also have some Cyco Silica. (also will have to grab some Ph up & down)

At this stage I've held off from getting any CalMag supplement as I didn't know what my background tap water readings were but now since ive got and calibrated my Bluelab combo meter i see that my background readings are:

Ph - 6.8
    EC - 0.1

I'm assuming that since my EC is so low that I will indeed need to supplement with CalMag.

Firstly, am I correct in thinking this?

Secondly, when should I start to use it in my grow bearing in mind that I am growing Autos. I would prefer to be proactive rather than reactive if that is possible.

Thirdly, let me know if you think i'm missing out out anything that would be beneficial for my grow regarding nutrients / additives.

Any comments are appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Dee For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (18-04-18)

Thanks

Jeeeeeeeez. Where do you live? In the highlands? Near the Evian mountain? I havent seen a pH of water like that anywhere I've lived. Mine is like just under 8.0. That was off topic, sorry. But yes, my background EC flashes between 0.2 and 0.4 AND I use CalMag so i would suggest you do too. And your water is slightly acidic. Calcium and Magnesium are alkaline based metals. They would make your water have a higher pH.

I usually use CalMag after the first set of true leaves appear, dosing at 1ml per litre. But gradually increase during the grow.

I am on my second grow atm. Using virtually what you are using minus the Rhizo but adding in Mighty Growth Enhancer and Fulvic

4. The Following User Says Thank You to th4k1ng For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-04-18)

Macky Guest

My ec is 0.16, newer houses have cleaner pipes maybe? Fuck knows, I live in a big city, and a big town within that city, and my ec is low!! I've always lived in the same area really. Grew in my old house, the ec was 0.4. And really that's less than a mile from my new house which is older, and the ec here is 0.16 fuck knows what does it

Sent from Hilary Clintons private server

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-04-18), th4k1ng (18-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 5,755 Times

My tap water ec doesn't even light up the ec truncheon it is so low, still smells of chlorine though. I am in the wild north with very soft water.
    TO GROW A PLANT YOU NEED TO THINK LIKE A PLANT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to toblue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,736 Times

British dental association, amoung others, have been winging for ages for water companies to reduce dissolved mineral salts in supplies, calcium/magnesium being the most damaging ones. Could maybe account for lower EC levels everywhere and the sudden need for CalMag, either that or they're all in business with Nutrient manufacturers countrywide...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AND For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (19-04-18), toblue (19-04-18)