Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DIY COB LED grow light thread.

Thanks

This is a Moby Dick under a Little 106watt Reflector 48 at day 42 of 12/12! She's in a 5gal pot! I love my little Mars!! Only thing is I wish I had of got a bigger one!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	360203

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Budshydro For This Useful Post:

DDG (11-05-18), Geokom85 (11-05-18), GEORGE (11-05-18)

Thanks

What sort of space is that 600W HPS equivalent going to be used for, length and width of grow room?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Geokom85 (11-05-18), GEORGE (12-05-18)

Thanks

@Budshydro, Is that light a Mars Hydro?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh wait, first of all what I should ask is this:

Are you comfortable working with mains voltage equipment?

i.e. electronics that are going to be connected directly to the wall outlet, 230VAC in the UK and Europe, 110VAC in the US.

Because that is unavoidable while building a DIY COB grow light and you really have to have some knowlagde in order to do that safely, if you do not know about how to do that we can fix that, or rather you can fix that by studying a little about how to make electrical connection safe and how to not kill your self.

I think it is inherently implicit, but just to spell it out:
    I will take no responsibility for any accident that anyone would cause them self's when trying to use any information I will supply in this thread, it's all on you to know what you are doing and mains related things is not to be trifled with. I my self have been zapped a couple of times from 230VAC and although I was fine after the pain resided over the years there are plenty of people whom have both killed them self's and severely maimed them self's, so PLEASE BE AWARE the lethality of not knowing what to do and what not to do with mains voltage/current related circuits.

There are different numbers given from different places but assuming the right conditions(or for the person in question the worst case conditions) are met and the current passes through the heart then the threshold for when current starts to be lethal is somewhere around 10mA - 30mA, or in other words 0,01A - 0,03A.
    Look behind any appliance at your home and notice how much current it is rated for, 0,01A is nothing, though to be honest you will have been quite unlucky to be killed by a minor electric shock but the important aspect is which path through the body does the current take(which is the path of least resistance) and many many things matter such as stomach content, hydration levels, pulse-rate and so on.

But it should point out the obvious danger when dealing with electricity especially mains electricity since the wall outlets in your house are capable of supplying enough energy to kill you and your family many times over.

This simply have to be stated and all the texts I have attempted to write and still are working on which goes through the basics of DIY COB LED grow light design are starting out with a clear warning and brief explanation of the dangers of mains electricity.
    Last edited by DDG; 11-05-18 at 10:29 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

But assuming all goes well my intention is to guide Geokom85 through the selection and design process of designing a DIY COB LED grow light sort of like a demonstration. Though anyone whom have questions, feel free to ask.
    My end goal is having manage to write a walk-through of the basics of a DIY COB LED grow light design worthy of becoming a sticky thread here on the forum when it is finally posted.

But it needs to be said that I am well read in the electrical aspects, but when I designed my grow light and when I will write the walk-through it will not be a guide for how to build the best and most efficient grow light, it will simply be a good grow light although probably not the best(efficiency wise that is, spectrum wise it's about as good as it can be based on what we know today, though there are different options depending on what the purpose of the light is but I assume most people want a grow light that can take them from seed to harvest) but it will be a sure thing, if I design a 400W light it will actually be a 400W or very close to that, sort of +-20W(guessing from the top of my head).

I am no professional after all, but I am an electronics enthusiast whom have spend years learning electronics online.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDG View Post
    What sort of space is that 600W HPS equivalent going to be used for, length and width of grow room?
    Gona get a new text soon so 4x4 feet and 6.5 tall.. reply with a quote to my last msg so I know.. Also can we make it specifically for flowering
    Last edited by Geokom85; 11-05-18 at 11:11 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Geokom85 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Geokom85 View Post
    Well I want something powerful I have 2 1000w I bought online 1 draws 200w the other 270w but I want something that can replace or come close to a 600w hps also the ones I have are not COB. What do you think
    Quote Originally Posted by Geokom85 View Post
    Gona get a new text soon so 4x4 feet and 6.5 tall.. reply with a quote to my last msg so I know.. Also can we make it specifically for flowering
    The part of this that I am not so good at is the hole growing side of it all but I am in the process of finding out how large an area certain LED's may cover.

But as far as I know if you want a flowering grow light then a white light with a colour temperature of 3000k would be best, as this will have less blue light in it. I have never seen anyone use lower than 3000k but I will find that out as well.

When I have found out about what coverage the COB LED's(which has a 120° viewing angle, the angle over which the light is emitted) then we can begin looking for specific LED's, LED power supply for those LED's and calculate the heatsink required.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-18)

Thanks

Can you show a photo? I am not good at DIY but interested

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jere420weed For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-18)

Thanks

The part of this that I am not so good at is the hole growing side of it all but I am in the process of finding out how large an area certain LED's may cover.

But as far as I know if you want a flowering grow light then a white light with a colour temperature of 3000k would be best, as this will have less blue light in it. I have never seen anyone use lower than 3000k but I will find that out as well.

When I have found out about what coverage the COB LED's(which has a 120° viewing angle, the angle over which the light is emitted) then we can begin looking for specific LED's, LED power supply for those LED's and calculate the heatsink required.
    Good stuff DDG

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Geokom85 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (17-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2 Times

Hello.

So I have successfully built my own COB LED grow light and I know that there are other members interested in this topic but I don't know what information you want specifically.
    I have written many attempts to go through my build but there is so much that I could say and depending on what the purpose is different things I need to say so I simply want to ask this.

What do you want to know?

I will post a list of online resources that explain certain things or link you to sites where you can brows different topics.

But do you want me to make a step-by-step guide for how I put the components together, and/or do you want a guide about how to select the components for a grow light, which are two really different kind of texts?

Regards
    Hello DDG,

I have been looking for someone who has build a grow light with a CXM-32 because I want to do the same.

I am actually interested in the MIGRO solution (migrolight.com/products-2/migro-100/) but it is just too expensive so I have to revert to something more "home made" if you know what I mean.

Would you care to share some pictures and specs of the parts that you used?

I am planning to replicate as much as possible the MIGRO light system. For the heatsink and driver that will probably not be possible as they were custom made.

Personally I want to use the CXM-32-35-80-54-AC30-F4-3 Luminus chip. That's the 3500k 80 CRI one.

Anyway, any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Thank you.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yanomami For This Useful Post:

gardro (26-09-18), GEORGE (25-09-18)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2