Thread: First time grower using Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix, are there any pests in it?

Thanks

Default First time grower using Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix, are there any pests in it?

Hello.

I am about to begin germinating the seed(s) for my very first grow which is incredibly exciting, but I came across a troubling comment in another thread which I can't locate again.
    I have chosen to go with Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix and the 4 products in the BioCanna nutrient range, I will also be using Great White Mycorrhizae from Plant Success, to the best of my knowlagde it isn't really worth using as a additive to be mixed in to the hole soil but rather used selectively while re-potting(dust the root-ball or sprinkle in the hole before putting the root-ball down in the hole). I also have read that Great White isn't suitable for seedlings so I will use a first small pot with only soil and then replant the plant once into it's final pot while applying Great White during the re-potting.

But about those troubling comments I read, it was a thread about the ordinary Canna Terra Plus soil and someone noted something along the lines of "but watch out for there bio soil as that have been known to contain fungi gnats", "there bio soil" being Canna Bio Terra Plus.
    And another member added that a third member had a good tip for managing that situation which was to put the soil on a tray and put it in the own at about 120degC for a certain amount of time.

I found those comments after I had bought the soil but I did notice that in the bag it says "improved version", but I don't know what this is actually about, are there any story to tell about Canna's Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix?

My hopes are that there where a problem with the soil which has been fixed, hence the "improved version" but I can't start using the soil until I know this, or I have taken appropriate precautions, I am broke and simply can't afford to buy a new bag of soil right now. And I really don't want to start out this adventure with something as difficult as managing pests.

I also like to ask if there are anyone here that uses or have experience with the BioCanna nutrient range, and/or this Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix.

Kind regards.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-04-18), Greengrass (21-04-18)

Thanks

About what I wrote about Great White, I looked at a hydro stores site who sells this stuff and they write:
    How to use Great White:
    Seeds: apply a light dusting of Great White to each planting hole before filling the hole and watering.
    Cuttings: once you've dipped cuttings into their rooting hormone, you can then dip them in a small quantity of Great White before moving them to the their rooting plugs.
    Transplanting: lightly dust the transplanting hole with Great White before re-potting cuttings and seedlings.
    Soil & Coco: apply by top feeding containers once a week, using a 5ml scoop for every 25 litres of water.
    Hydroponics: mix into your reservoir at a rate of 1 5ml scoop per 25 litres of nutrient solution.

Just FYI.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (21-04-18), Greengrass (21-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

The hydroponic shop I visit stores all their soils indoors nice and dry , so the risks of being contaminated are low
    But bnq on the other hand store their bags of dirt outside open to the elements for months and usually next to flower beds
    So as long your hydro store gives a shit you'll be golden
    And cheers for you second post, the guy in the shop gave me a pouch of the mykos powder but my eyes are to screwed to read the small print
    Cheers matey

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

DDG (27-04-18), GEORGE (22-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 7,454 Times

like to add the professional soil makers probably know that a good percentage of their customers are using their soil inside their own homes and not the garden so would take steps or could get a bad reputation on forums like this one for having infestations in their product

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greengrass For This Useful Post:

DDG (27-04-18), Dr Green (22-02-19), GEORGE (22-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 29,329 Times

It all depend on how and where the product is stored.
    Just think your always open to pest the whole time your growing so start taking precautions now and look into ipm (intergrated pest management) prevention rather than cure and all that mate.
    My gardens full of bugs but good ones and if there’s ever a intruder we’re more than ready to fuck them up!!!!!
    Good luck with your grow mate
    Redz
    NO-TILL Gardening with REDZ

REDZ BUILDS LIVING SOIL!!!

Redz & Ironjustice Do super lemon haze in rdwc for GWP

https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...n-rdwc-for-GPW(COMPLETE)
    LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redisiel For This Useful Post:

DDG (27-04-18), Dr Green (22-02-19), GEORGE (24-04-18)

Thanks

Ok, so to be clear, I am growing in a small tent in my apartment so there are no other soil or plants near by.

I have been reading about IPM(Intergrated Pest Management) prevention and I sort of get the idea, sort of because I don't understand what I should actually be doing.

Is it even possible to utilize a concept such as IPM in a 1 or 2 plant "garden"?

I have a 50L bag of soil and that will have to be stored for a long time since I will be using perhaps 15L per plant per grow and if I would come to plant 2 plants at the same time then they would have to be smaller so in any case the soil will have to be stored and I wonder how do I store it properly and is there anything I can do with the soil in order to keep it healthy for months?
    Sort of creating a mini garden with it's IPM system in that 50L bag, or am I thinking about this stuff in a weird way?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-05-18)

Thanks

Yeah great!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KristiNolan For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (02-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDG View Post
    Hello.

I am about to begin germinating the seed(s) for my very first grow which is incredibly exciting, but I came across a troubling comment in another thread which I can't locate again.
    I have chosen to go with Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix and the 4 products in the BioCanna nutrient range, I will also be using Great White Mycorrhizae from Plant Success, to the best of my knowlagde it isn't really worth using as a additive to be mixed in to the hole soil but rather used selectively while re-potting(dust the root-ball or sprinkle in the hole before putting the root-ball down in the hole). I also have read that Great White isn't suitable for seedlings so I will use a first small pot with only soil and then replant the plant once into it's final pot while applying Great White during the re-potting.

But about those troubling comments I read, it was a thread about the ordinary Canna Terra Plus soil and someone noted something along the lines of "but watch out for there bio soil as that have been known to contain fungi gnats", "there bio soil" being Canna Bio Terra Plus.
    And another member added that a third member had a good tip for managing that situation which was to put the soil on a tray and put it in the own at about 120degC for a certain amount of time.

I found those comments after I had bought the soil but I did notice that in the bag it says "improved version", but I don't know what this is actually about, are there any story to tell about Canna's Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix?

My hopes are that there where a problem with the soil which has been fixed, hence the "improved version" but I can't start using the soil until I know this, or I have taken appropriate precautions, I am broke and simply can't afford to buy a new bag of soil right now. And I really don't want to start out this adventure with something as difficult as managing pests.

I also like to ask if there are anyone here that uses or have experience with the BioCanna nutrient range, and/or this Canna Bio Terra Plus Soil Mix.

Kind regards.
    Hey Bro,

New to the forum, but thought I'd add in my personal experience. Just started my first grow, but using Canna terra professional soil mix, and all seems pretty healthy and fresh, smells like fresh forest, kinda mushroomy
    Had the soil out and in 5 gal pots for about 3 weeks now and 0 signs of pest. Also going to be using the bio range by canna plus some compost tea to boost the little guys!
    Hope its going well!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Giant flying wombat For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Luankrasniqi View Post
    Wow this is amazing.
    mate your jus spammin the same shit, will just delete the pointless posts

Thanks

Stuffs riddled with fungus gnats. Avoid