Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Does light affect the drying process?

Thanks

Question Does light affect the drying process?

Greetings people! Im curious about drying methods, i read here that:

"The area where the drying is done should be dark. Light and high temperatures (higher than about 80 degrees) will cause THC to break down into less desirable chemicals, this will lower the potency of the finished product."

So, drying buds on the stem, hanging from a wire on the ceiling, in the same room that growing, a 600w HPS bulb is glowing and im not sure about the statement Naxx made about the lights, as i never read it/hear it before. The lights are not over the buds, a fan is working but not sending the air directly on buds as slow drying is the target.

please assist.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBeAgrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-05-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeAgrower View Post
    Greetings people! Im curious about drying methods, i read here that:

"The area where the drying is done should be dark. Light and high temperatures (higher than about 80 degrees) will cause THC to break down into less desirable chemicals, this will lower the potency of the finished product."

So, drying buds on the stem, hanging from a wire on the ceiling, in the same room that growing, a 600w HPS bulb is glowing and im not sure about the statement Naxx made about the lights, as i never read it/hear it before. The lights are not over the buds, a fan is working but not sending the air directly on buds as slow drying is the target.

please assist.
    Well, when the plant gets light, it creates more chlorophyll, and thats harsh to smoke. We keep it in the dark, to make sure this chemical along with others are broken down fully, to leave a good clean smoke. The more light it has, the more chlorophyll will be left behind when its dry. and once its dry, it wont be able to break anything down any more. Which is why we also cure in jars, to bring the moisture out slowly, to break down as much as possible before it dry, for a nice clean smoke

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

420Rancher (26-04-18), BornToBeAgrower (25-04-18), GEORGE (03-05-18), lipnobody (26-04-18), MR B-loom (04-05-18), Pablo (25-04-18), Sadface (25-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Well, when the plant gets light, it creates more chlorophyll, and thats harsh to smoke. We keep it in the dark, to make sure this chemical along with others are broken down fully, to leave a good clean smoke. The more light it has, the more chlorophyll will be left behind when its dry. and once its dry, it wont be able to break anything down any more. Which is why we also cure in jars, to bring the moisture out slowly, to break down as much as possible before it dry, for a nice clean smoke
    Thanks for the fast response Macky

BUT

when you cut down a branch/stem, it can't produce any chlorophyl by itself. It has to be on plant, so?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBeAgrower For This Useful Post:

Banjo33_uk (12-09-18), GEORGE (03-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

It will dry to quick not breaking down the chlorophyll down

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-05-18)

Macky Guest

Thanks for the fast response Macky

BUT

when you cut down a branch/stem, it can't produce any chlorophyl by itself. It has to be on plant, so?
    It will mate, its the plant cells that do it. As long as there is enough moisture in the plant, regardless of being cut down or not, it considered as alive, and will produce chlorophyll. Its only when its dry, to the extent where moisture cant move around the plant matter any more, that it is considered dead.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Beau_Bud (04-05-18), GEORGE (03-05-18), turnkey (31-05-18)

Thanks

Im burning my head, trying to find out, is that a real thing going on? I mean, we are sure that the plant, after the harvesting and manicuring, keep the chlorophyl because of light? Or it is just a rumour that goes on? Im just trying to understand better the steps that a plant goes on and not trying to say that you don't know what you sayin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBeAgrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 31,416 Times

Just don’t do it

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sadface For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-05-18)

Macky Guest

Im burning my head, trying to find out, is that a real thing going on? I mean, we are sure that the plant, after the harvesting and manicuring, keep the chlorophyl because of light? Or it is just a rumour that goes on? Im just trying to understand better the steps that a plant goes on and not trying to say that you don't know what you sayin
    Mate, it seems like you're asking a question you already think you have the answer for lol Its simple plant science mate, most plants do the same thing, if its green, it produces chlorophyll when it gets light, look it up. "How photosynthesis works"

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

BornToBeAgrower (25-04-18), GEORGE (03-05-18), MrEnigma (25-04-18), Pablo (25-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

i stuff mine in a box in the dark gas mark 1 for 14 days,they come out nice and smelly + poke them with a stick daily.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

Bethmeg (25-04-18), British green (03-05-18), GEORGE (03-05-18), Pablo (25-04-18)

Thanks

Man, well im asking something but you throwing an answer which is not proven, probably you read it somewhere, as you not showing me if you have any proof. The buds are not having chloroplasts and you have to know that if you ever study over the plants, only the leaves having these sacks.... When you cut down the branch it stopping producing any kind of that "banks", it also stopping working as it has ON the plant. So think of it again, when you cut tobacco, its green, but, you drying it on the sun, OR under some roof, still outside, getting light, to turn it amber as final product, making its nice scent, how do you explain that?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBeAgrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (03-05-18)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast