Thread: Best watering method for new cuttings into light mix?

Thanks

Default Best watering method for new cuttings into light mix?

Hi all,

Newbie here venturing into the world of home grown smoke.

Ive just potted some cuttings (with root block) into light mix but not sure if Ive watered enough as I an conscious of not wanting to over water.
    The guy I got cuttings off said to give the small pots of light mix a good soaking yesterday, ready to pot today. However, when soaking the light mix the water just passed straight through filling the trays and leaving the light mix relatively dry, accept for the center, where I sat my cuttings with small root balls/blocks.

So while there is some moisture in the center of the pot/light mix I am not sure if I should have watered them again to soak right upto the edges of the pots or not. Being cautious to not over water at this early stage i have left them not sure what to do, as I know slightly dry is better than too wet.

Has anyone used light mix before and can you recommend a way I should proceed? I did read that I could still add water to soak the medium and let all excess drain off into the tray and tip away. At present many of the pots are sitting in trays swimming in water. My theory here was that it would soak back up later... but will it? As the roots of my new cuttings are nowhere near the bottom of the pot as i just potted them tonight.

As you can read I am not sure of the best next step, apart from check them daily and add water when feeling almost dry.

If the medium at the edge of the pot is dry can the roots still take nutrients in?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)

Thanks

I want to delete this post and make it a lot simpler...

Biobizz light mix - do you initially saturate the medium or lightly water for potting cuttings?
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to THCBrova For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)