Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice on lighting

Thanks

Default Advice on lighting

Hello everyone!

I've been looking at grow lights and thinking on what to do... I'm a bit undecided in between a 300w growth LED (expensive, but has it's benefits) and a 1x400w HPS.

For the LED I'd maybe have better luck controlling the temp and energy waste and expenditure, but with the HPS, since the grow rooms is in a shed in my backyard, i'd probably get better heating depending on how i do the day/night cycle, (was thinking either a 16/8 or a 12/12 depending on what i use since i got some photoperiod seeds as well). what should i do in this situation?

I'm using an 80x80x160 grow room in the shed and will only be growing 2 plants or 3 at most.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Username76 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)

Macky Guest

Well, HID bulbs are the way to go mate, as you said LEDs are expensive. They might be cheaper to run on the leccy, but, because they kick off less heat, youre gonna have to run a heater too, so it might not end up efficient anyway. Get a 400w MH bulb for your veg, and a 400w HPS ulb for your flower, and that will do you lovely mate..... unless, you can afford the CMH bulb set up... thats the way to go if you have the doe. 1 315w CMH i good for that size tent, but itll cost about £400 for the full light set up ( 2 bulbsd, MH and HPS, ballast, and reflector)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18), Majestic (27-04-18), Username76 (27-04-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 61,761 Times

i would get ya self digi ballast, which will allow you to use bulbs from 250, 400, 600. i would pick the hps over the led. but..... once summer does actually get here temps will be hot in that shed. run photo plants, have the 6 hours dark in veg from 12 till 6pm. then wen flower comes have the lights off from 9am till 9pm

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joker_the_smoker For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18), Username76 (27-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Username76 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've been looking at grow lights and thinking on what to do... I'm a bit undecided in between a 300w growth LED (expensive, but has it's benefits) and a 1x400w HPS.

For the LED I'd maybe have better luck controlling the temp and energy waste and expenditure, but with the HPS, since the grow rooms is in a shed in my backyard, i'd probably get better heating depending on how i do the day/night cycle, (was thinking either a 16/8 or a 12/12 depending on what i use since i got some photoperiod seeds as well). what should i do in this situation?

I'm using an 80x80x160 grow room in the shed and will only be growing 2 plants or 3 at most.
    Why not consider a 315w CMH for that space, fullest spectrum of light, decent size for that space i would say

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Majestic For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MAcky View Post
    Well, HID bulbs are the way to go mate, as you said LEDs are expensive. They might be cheaper to run on the leccy, but, because they kick off less heat, youre gonna have to run a heater too, so it might not end up efficient anyway. Get a 400w MH bulb for your veg, and a 400w HPS ulb for your flower, and that will do you lovely mate..... unless, you can afford the CMH bulb set up... thats the way to go if you have the doe. 1 315w CMH i good for that size tent, but itll cost about £400 for the full light set up ( 2 bulbsd, MH and HPS, ballast, and reflector)
    Yeah that's a bit too expensive of a setup for now, the full ballast, 600w HPS and 400W MH with 2 reflector hoods would cost me about 100 pounds, which is not as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    Why not consider a 315w CMH for that space, fullest spectrum of light, decent size for that space i would say
    The CMW goes for quite an expensive price, i could get a full ballast, 600w HPS and 400W MH with 2 reflector hoods for the price of 1 bulb... so i think i'll exclude that for now... also since i'm quite far north of uk i've never seen the temperature here go higher than 82º/83º F...

Quote Originally Posted by joker_the_smoker View Post
    i would get ya self digi ballast, which will allow you to use bulbs from 250, 400, 600. i would pick the hps over the led. but..... once summer does actually get here temps will be hot in that shed. run photo plants, have the 6 hours dark in veg from 12 till 6pm. then wen flower comes have the lights off from 9am till 9pm
    I'm thinking this might work well since that would also help controlling the temperature in the shed at night, and the full kit with the HPS and MH seems reasonable.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Username76 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)

Macky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Username76 View Post
    Yeah that's a bit too expensive of a setup for now, the full ballast, 600w HPS and 400W MH with 2 reflector hoods would cost me about 100 pounds, which is not as bad.

The CMW goes for quite an expensive price, i could get a full ballast, 600w HPS and 400W MH with 2 reflector hoods for the price of 1 bulb... so i think i'll exclude that for now... also since i'm quite far north of uk i've never seen the temperature here go higher than 82º/83º F...

I'm thinking this might work well since that would also help controlling the temperature in the shed at night, and the full kit with the HPS and MH seems reasonable.
    Yes mate, but I doubt youd need a 600w bulb, thats a bit much for your space and you might struggle with temps with a bulb that hot

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    Yes mate, but I doubt youd need a 600w bulb, thats a bit much for your space and you might struggle with temps with a bulb that hot
    Couldn't I just use the ballast to control that?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Username76 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)

Macky Guest

You could mate, but it's always best to have the bulb at the right wattage, then dimming it. Unless it's a dimmable bulb, you should really just stick with 400w switch, 400w bulb etc.

Sent from: For those about to harvest, we salute you!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    You could mate, but it's always best to have the bulb at the right wattage, then dimming it. Unless it's a dimmable bulb, you should really just stick with 400w switch, 400w bulb etc.

Sent from: For those about to harvest, we salute you!
    Right... got it! That actually makes things cheaper so i won't complain

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Username76 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18)

Macky Guest

Cheap isnt always good, make sure you get the best ballast, bulb and reflector you can afford mate. And as summer is coming, you might want to invest in a cooling tube or a cooling hood, if you have trouble with temps. You can get the setup cheap for about £100, but sepdn as much as you can getting the best you can. First crop, as youre probably spending your spare doe on weed, you can go light on the cost of the setup. But always make an upgrade after every crop.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-04-18), joker_the_smoker (27-04-18), SlimCT (27-04-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast