Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Soil Configuration

Thanks

Default Homemade Soil Configuration

Hey all

New to these parts so be gentle

I'm new to growing and this is my first time. I've read a ton and am still learning. I expect I will for several grow cycles.

I live in eastern Ontario, Canada do climate is a bit hit or miss. I'll be growing outside. I have purchased 5 seeds from a reputable online store. I plan to germinate my seeds starting tomorrow. Inside an I door greenhouse for a few weeks, then transplant outdoors in biodegradable pots.

The soil around here is very rocky so I gave the "garden" a really good till. The soil seems very light and crumbly (no clay or sand). I have removed some of the stock soil and want to replace with some more nutrient dense soil that I want to make. My issue is that I read a lot online and it's all very confusing. I purchased a number of products but am not sure of what quantities to use to make up a good soil combination to add to the original pots and then outdoor garden.

My hope is that I can list the products that I have access to and I could possibly get some advice on how to create my own cauldron of loveliness so my ladies will grow in the best way that I can give them. Here goes:

Promix Veg and Herb (mostly as I read tomatoes and cannabis grow quite similarly)
    CIL Plus Worm Casting Compost (can't find plan old worm castings near me)
    Promix Root Booster (5-15-5) (it actually mentions medicinal mj on the back)
    Bone Meal (4-10-0)
    Blood Meal (12-0-0)
    Dolomitic Lime
    Perlite
    Vermiculite
    Miracle Gro Shake N Feed (10-5-15). I bought it because it contains kelp, earthworm castings, feather meal, bone meal)

Miracle Gro (15-30-15). This is actually for other plants but I thought I would mention it anyway.

So there it is. I know I need different items at different grow stages. But again, I'm just overwhelmed with all the variables. Just need some help with a recipe. Oh if I am missing a product you feel I should get, please do suggest and I'll look for it. If there's something I bought but don't need, I can bring it back.

Thank you in advanced folks. Apologies for the novice questions and I appreciate any information.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadianGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-18), ggotch (07-05-18)

Thanks

My bad. Forgot to mention one thing.

I got a ph test kit and my water is sitting round 8.0. So I need to get that lowered. If just regular ph down from a pool place really the best option?

Sorry about that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-18)

The Aspie Toker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGrower View Post
    My bad. Forgot to mention one thing.

I got a ph test kit and my water is sitting round 8.0. So I need to get that lowered. If just regular ph down from a pool place really the best option?

Sorry about that.
    There's no need to alter the pH, but if you must, then use citric acid as it's organic and won't kill off the microbes.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Aspie Toker For This Useful Post:

CanadianGrower (07-05-18), GEORGE (07-05-18), ggotch (07-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Aspie Toker View Post
    There's no need to alter the pH, but if you must, then use citric acid as it's organic and won't kill off the microbes.
    Sweet. That's good to know. Thanks a bunch

I shall wait for more responses on the other inquiry

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadianGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 90,471 Times

Talking

You got wallworld up there don't you? I would look for a product at a feed store call WhoolyCow and look at wallworld for a soil call Just Natural Organic soil. You also have Lime, Fish, Kelp, Tomoto-Tone, and probably much more organic stuff at Wallworld. I would stay away from the Miracle Grow. I mix up one bag of Just Natural Organic, with one bag of WhoolyCow with a couple of cups of each of these organic. Makes for some 15 to 20 gallons of super soil. Good luck and happy growing. I use plant tone some times, but I prefer the Tomota-Tone. It has much more Cal mag in her. They were out when I bought the plant-Tone, but it is pretty good. The soil addifider is much like Rock dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0400.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	360058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0403.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	360059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0402.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	360060  
    Last edited by GEORGE; 07-05-18 at 05:30 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    You got wallworld up there don't you? I would look for a product at a feed store call WhoolyCow and look at wallworld for a soil call Just Natural Organic soil. You also have Lime, Fish, Kelp, Tomoto-Tone, and probably much more organic stuff at Wallworld. I would stay away from the Miracle Grow. I mix up one bag of Just Natural Organic, with one bag of WhoolyCow with a couple of cups of each of these organic. Makes for some 15 to 20 gallons of super soil. Good luck and happy growing. I use plant tone some times, but I prefer the Tomota-Tone. It has much more Cal mag in her. They were out when I bought the plant-Tone, but it is pretty good. The soil addifider is much like Rock dust.
    Pick up a couple of bags of perlight and mix 30 to 40% into soil also.

Thanks

That's awesome gents. I will do that. May not be able to find some of the products but I've looked them up and will attempt to find suitable substitutes.

One question: when Im planting in the pots indoors, I mix up my soil and put the seeds in. I take the left over and mix it in to my garden. Do I have to add / do anything else when I am in the process of transplanting?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadianGrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGrower View Post
    That's awesome gents. I will do that. May not be able to find some of the products but I've looked them up and will attempt to find suitable substitutes.

One question: when Im planting in the pots indoors, I mix up my soil and put the seeds in. I take the left over and mix it in to my garden. Do I have to add / do anything else when I am in the process of transplanting?
    I think you would be good to get your self a Mentor. You can PM M_C and ask him if he can set you up with one. I believe Cam would love to take on the job, but you first would need to talk it out with him and M_C.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEORGE For This Useful Post:

ELMo- (07-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
    I think you would be good to get your self a Mentor. You can PM M_C and ask him if he can set you up with one. I believe Cam would love to take on the job, but you first would need to talk it out with him and M_C.
    Boom. Will do, boss

Thanks so much!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CanadianGrower For This Useful Post:

ELMo- (07-05-18), GEORGE (07-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,118 Times

Okay pal, here is where I am at. I have never mixed and made soil for my csnnabis. I do however make my own soil for my farm crops. Hotshot loves making his own soil, and if he says you have the right mixes and you could get the proper lineup of nutrients which I'll send you info on id be happy to help. the miracle grow feed you can take back and get your money refunded. When are your grow times there? I am about 1400 miles south of you and it's 90F here already so that's another issue I'll have on getting you started. I am flattered my good friend Hotshot thought of me to mentor you, but the last thing I want to do is mislead you. I wanna holler at a few people like hotshot and a Canadian friend of mine and see what I get figured out.
    If only I grew cannabis well

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ELMo- For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (07-05-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast