Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EC problem when reducing nutrient EC after very stable drain/feed EC readings.

Thanks

Default EC problem when reducing nutrient EC after very stable drain/feed EC readings.

Hej all,

Baffled with this one and considering its first grow since 1999 I don’t have current experience to fall back on. Would appreciate your wisdom on this.

Growing 9-10 week flowering strains. Just started week 8 of flower.

The last 10 days the Feed EC & Drain EC has been consistent (1.5ec/1.5ec). Then reduced the Feed EC to 1.1 on 4th May. Since then my Drain EC reading has increased to 1.6ec whilst the Feed remains at 1.1 ec.

Reason for reducing the nutrient to 1.1ec was to get the nutrient load down before flushing in a couple of weeks. Also, Overdrive was applied for 10 days, this ended on 3rd May.

I was not expecting the drain EC to slightly increase when I dropped the nutrient EC!

Was the reduction in nutrients too sudden? Can you get lock out from reducing nutrient concentration too quickly?

Options; (i) Be patient and give it a few days for the drain EC to come down.
    (ii) Increase the Feed EC back to 1.5 where it was steady for so long and then gradually reduce the nutrient EC thereafter.
    (iii) Flush: and continue with the current 1.1 ec feed.
    (iv) Flush: Revert back to the 1.5 ec feed.
    (v) None of the above.

Other info: Using a drip/drain Rhizosystem with Coco. 3 daily watering’s of 6 or 7 min durations for the last month or so….
    Nutrients: Canna Coco a/b, `Cannazym, Canna Bloom, Mammoth P, B’Tree Silica. Overdrive application finished a couple of days ago.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,977 Times

I would continue with the 1.0. And keep on checking to see if theres a change. Did you add calmag to the feed atall? The reason i ask is because it could have riseen becsuse of the potassium being flushed out of the ce sites.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BritishBotanics For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks

No calmag in the nutrient tank. The crop has received calmag once as a foliar application. This was at least 10-14days ago.

The plants have consistently shown good health throughout veg & flower. Not had any issues as yet until this EC blip with the nutrient reduction intervention. As you stated continue with 1.0 feed is probably wise. Will give the plants time to stabilise rather than introducing more variables by flushing etc. Will update in a few days.....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Take this with a grain if salt, you stated you used overdrive, finishing on the 3rd.
    I have not used this product so is only speculation.
    I am guessing the overdrive is a finishing product? If so could it be designed to lockout your plants in the last stages of growth. I hear this is a good thing for finishing plants. Timing and results would fit, by your description.
    If it is not a finishing product, ignore the above gibberish!

Check it out, grow started march 11............ Flip May 1st
    Led lighting various soils
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-dirt-4x4-tent

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

I am new to coco so I may be on the wrong track here. I know that plants eat less as they near the end. Could this be your plant needing less feed so close to the end and creating some buildup that you are washing out when you feed giving you a higher EC out? Hopefully a coco pro will jump in soon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks

Hi CityDweller.,, Prior to the intended dramatic Feed EC reduction the drain > feed EC was a consistent at 1.5 EC. Supply/demand on par.
    Soon as i dropped the nutrient EC (strength) to 1.1 I get this off-the-scale plant reaction.

Just checked the drain EC today and its increased to 2.1. Not expecting this! Starting to go Pete Tong

Going to flush until I get the drain EC to around 1.2. Post-Flush should I apply the intended 1.1 ec nutrient feed or should it be more gradual after flush? 1.1ec is fairly light feed so assume its ok.

Kept a paper diary of this grow. May consider emailing Canna and/or Advanced nutrients whether they could shed some light on it! 'Overdrive' application only ended on May 3rd; maybe there is an issue with that still being metabolised by the plants and the shock of the significant drop in feed EC caused this dramatic reaction.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

CityDweller (08-05-18), GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Looks like nute lock-out but I have no clue as to what could be causing it...I'm sure one of the more experienced guys will be along to help you out soon enough!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 50,169 Times

You are on week 8 of flower aiming for a 10 week completion. Everything I have read says it's time to start tapering down the nutes. You want to see the plant start to fade and look like the end of season. Personally I would flush to 0.8 EC (or lower) and then feed at 0.8 and see what the runoff is.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CityDweller For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CityDweller View Post
    You are on week 8 of flower aiming for a 10 week completion. Everything I have read says it's time to start tapering down the nutes. You want to see the plant start to fade and look like the end of season. Personally I would flush to 0.8 EC (or lower) and then feed at 0.8 and see what the runoff is.
    Will give that at go; 0.8ec.

The feed EC drop to 1.1 was the start of the taper down.... just the stats are not what I expected !

I have emailed Canna & Advanced Nutrients.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wsg View Post
    I am guessing the overdrive is a finishing product? If so could it be designed to lockout your plants in the last stages of growth.
    Possibly. I have emailed Advanced Nutrients to get their angle on it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Psilocybe For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast