Thread: How to store water, nutrients and soil, water for watering plants in soil.

Thanks

Default How to store water, nutrients and soil, water for watering plants in soil.

Hello.

I am all new to growing and I have my first seed in a glass of room-temperature water and I am about to use Canna Bio Terra soil mix to prepare the germination pot for the seed.

But I got 50L soil and I'll be growing 1 plant at a time, at some point I will try with two but the point is that those 50L of soil will last a while and I live in an apartment and am unsure about where and how to best store the soil.
    I assume that I should protect it from sunshine and that the temperature should probably not be too high, but summer is coming and I wonder what to do in order to ensure that I keep the soil in an environment that does not promote pests and do not degrade the soil.

Secondly I bought a large 30L black plastic bucket with a lid(a lid that I can't for the life of me get to actually go onto the bucket) and a couple of days ago I poured in a few litres of water to let sit for at least 24h before using it to germinate my seed and water the soil, but I am really unsure about how to store water and how long I can store it before changing it.

I am going to use Bio Canna nutrients and possibly some black strap molasses and I wonder what is the best way of managing the nutrient/water.
    Should/could I mix up water + nutrients to be used the next week or two, or should I keep a bucket of water and then only take out approximately one watering worth of water to be mixed with nutrients...?

I guess I will find out what sort of amount each watering takes in time but I have wondered about what to worry about when it comes to storing water for watering my plants and what the most practical way of managing the nutrients is, while not letting ether of the two components get bad in any way(I have cleaned the bucket and will sterilize it from time to time with IPA mixed with 30% water).

Would there be any point in mounting a array of UV LED's in the buckets lid to be shined down into the water periodically during storage?

I produce my own circuit boards(etching) and in that process UV light is needed so I have UV LED's readily available and it would not be a big thing at all for me to put a few UV LED's into my water storage bucket which I at least hypothesise would kill of anything that I don't want to expose my plants to, what do you think about that?

Regards.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

The longer water sits the less oxygen it retains, a day or two is ok, for best results keep it aerated with a air-stone. Cool dark place for nutes and soils. I make sure that i roll the bag as to keep the moisture in.

Check it out, grow started march 11............ Flip May 1st
    Led lighting various soils
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-dirt-4x4-tent

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (09-05-18)

Thanks

So if I get an air-stone and air-pump I can store the water longer then?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (10-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Thats the basic principle of hydroponic gardening.

Check it out, grow started march 11............ Flip May 1st
    Led lighting various soils
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-dirt-4x4-tent

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 22,354 Times

i dont store water i mix mine straight from the hot + cold taps until its 24 degrees then i water me girls.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Beefheart For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (11-05-18)

Thanks

It is hard to judge which things that I read about that is really necessary and which are not crucial to do, but getting rid of chlorine from the water sounds as a good idea.
    My thinking is quite inflexible at times and I read that the water needs to sit for 24 hours before use but I'll let it sit until it is at ambient temperature and then I'll use it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DDG For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 37,976 Times

Quote Originally Posted by DDG View Post
    Hello.

Secondly I bought a large 30L black plastic bucket with a lid(a lid that I can't for the life of me get to actually go onto the bucket) and a couple of days ago I poured in a few litres of water to let sit for at least 24h before using it to germinate my seed and water the soil, but I am really unsure about how to store water and how long I can store it before changing it.

I am going to use Bio Canna nutrients and possibly some black strap molasses and I wonder what is the best way of managing the nutrient/water.
    Should/could I mix up water + nutrients to be used the next week or two, or should I keep a bucket of water and then only take out approximately one watering worth of water to be mixed with nutrients...?

I guess I will find out what sort of amount each watering takes in time but I have wondered about what to worry about when it comes to storing water for watering my plants and what the most practical way of managing the nutrients is, while not letting ether of the two components get bad in any way(I have cleaned the bucket and will sterilize it from time to time with IPA mixed with 30% water).
    A bucket and an air stone will do you fine for water storage on a single plant. Just fill it 48 hours before hand to de chlorinate.

Your bio canna nutrients are best mixed and used on the day as organic nutrients tend to seperate rather quickly once added into the water. You’ll notice an oil like film on top off the water after 24 hours

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (16-05-18)