Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: overferted, stalled seedlings - dont want to drown roots

Bomber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBalls View Post
    Background ec is 0.4.
    As they're so small/young I was feeding around 0.6ec, not too much, every couple of days (as I read that even with coco, you shouldn't do a full water to run off, until they're vegging with good root system).

I've been feeding daily since your suggestion. They are still droopy and growing very slowly, though new growth is green.

Should I continue feeding daily?
    And for future reference - are you saying that even if I do one overferting which makes the tips point down, I should still continue feeding normally after that?
    Yes. Feed daily. How much water are you pouring through each time? I would up the Ec to 0.8/0.9 and Ph 5.8

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bomber For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (26-05-18)

GreenBalls Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
    Yes. Feed daily. How much water are you pouring through each time? I would up the Ec to 0.8/0.9 and Ph 5.8
    Cheers.

Less than a litre, I had been watering a little bit in the centre, then watering round the edge of the pot, but not til run off.
    Ph has always been 5.8. Have upped ec to 0.8 now.

Shitty update: one of the mephisto ones has pistils at the top.
    They're 3 weeks old, 2-3" tall, and in my original post I was still referring to them as seedlings....

What do?? Should I just cull it? And what about the other 2 which have no pistils but are the same size?
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monkeys.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	360898

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18)

Bomber Guest

Cheers.

Less than a litre, I had been watering a little bit in the centre, then watering round the edge of the pot, but not til run off.
    Ph has always been 5.8. Have upped ec to 0.8 now.

Shitty update: one of the mephisto ones has pistils at the top.
    They're 3 weeks old, 2-3" tall, and in my original post I was still referring to them as seedlings....

What do?? Should I just cull it? And what about the other 2 which have no pistils but are the same size?
    Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monkeys.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	360898
    Less than a litre?!

Chuck 2 litres through it every day. You will NOT drown them, trust me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bomber For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

GreenBalls Guest

Less than a litre?!

Chuck 2 litres through it every day. You will NOT drown them, trust me
    I was first led to believe that coco can't be over watered, but then I gave shitloads of water to a plant last month, the coco was damp for days and the plant stopped growing. I did a bit more googling and read that you should only give a bit of water to coco seedlings in large pots, so that the roots reach out etc.
    The conflicting advice and info out there is obviously a real problem.

Either way I'll take your word for it, but is there any advice for these plants that have all stopped growing?? Especially the one that is now starting to flower. Chuck them and start again?

Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBalls For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks

I'm a first time grower and am using 100%coco.

Until the plants had 3 full set of leaves I gave no nutes.

Now iv used coco for a good load of weeks I'm familiar with how moist the coco should be before watering.

before I started nutes I first gave them PhD 6.0 where as made sure all coco was moist.

The next feeds I gave it were about 3 days apart when the coco was dry up until first knuckle.

After I added nutes (half dose for first 2 feeds) they were getting an little more thirsty.

I'm now giving them 2.5 litres every other day and every 3rd feed am making sure there is about a 10% run off

A good tip is to lift the pot for weight before and after so u will get used to it and have a good indicator of when your plants are thirsty. I have a read a big no no is letting your coco dry out.

If you've over fed them I'd suggest getting PhD to 6.0 and watering till 10% run off and do that that for 2 feeds. Starting back on 50% recommended nutes for the next 2 feeds and then going to full strength.

I'm a first time grower as said but I must be doing something right because I've had no problems yet and they're looking pretty plush.

Hope this has helped and try get another couple of opinions on this post. But I think I know coco well enough to comment now.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ch040294 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks

Make sure your plant isn't sitting in the run off. I use air pots and when I see the run off will throw a clean towel underneath the pots for a couple of hours and sometimes replace it with a dry towel if the first one gets saturated.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ch040294 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Bomber Guest

I was first led to believe that coco can't be over watered, but then I gave shitloads of water to a plant last month, the coco was damp for days and the plant stopped growing. I did a bit more googling and read that you should only give a bit of water to coco seedlings in large pots, so that the roots reach out etc.
    The conflicting advice and info out there is obviously a real problem.

Either way I'll take your word for it, but is there any advice for these plants that have all stopped growing?? Especially the one that is now starting to flower. Chuck them and start again?

Thanks
    That plant is big enough to water and feed every day. I think it’s possibly under watered... Your temps 30c + and less than one litre feed...

I water/feed every day without fail after the first week.
    Last edited by Bomber; 28-05-18 at 06:57 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bomber For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Thanks

That plant is big enough to water and feed every day. I think it’s possibly under watered... Your temps 30c + and less than one litre feed...

I water/feed every day without fail after the first week.
    I'd but that for a dollar. What about flushing how many times should that be done to get rid of salts. I was just giving it PhD water every week or so.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ch040294 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Bomber Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ch040294 View Post
    I'd but that for a dollar. What about flushing how many times should that be done to get rid of salts. I was just giving it PhD water every week or so.

It looks under fed to me so no need to flush.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bomber For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (28-05-18)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2