Thread: Total beginner - Garage Grow Help

Thanks
    Thanked 4 Times

Default Total beginner - Garage Grow Help

Hi guys. First off, I have been lurking around a while, doing research and want to say thank you in advance for any help.

I am looking to do my first grow soon in my new house. The only suitable place is the garage. The loft is too small (new build) and the living rooms are not going to work for me as I have guests round and clients (I work from home). I do however have a garage which is fairly small at 2.4m x 5m. Now this garage is attached to the house but there is no way to get into it via the house so I need to build a door into the side of the garage.

My main concern with this whole operation is safety and discretion as a priority. I do not want anyone at all to know I am doing this, so noise and mainly smell is my biggest issue.

I have a company who can insulate the garage for me with Spray Foam, build the door and basically do anything I need. The foam they use is ideal as not only does it insulate, it also soundproofs at the same time. I will block off the garage door and build a room within a room using 2x2. I have read Kingspan is a good option for insulation and heat, but it offers no real sound proofing qualities. Plus the company only offer spray insulate.

With smell being and issue I felt it would be best to separate the room into 2 sections. At least this way when I open the door into the garage there will be another air tight (grow) room that I have to enter, meaning that there is less chance of the smell leaking outside my house when I open the door into the garage. I do plan on using a tent in the grow room, but I figured having the air tight room as well can only help increase the chance of smell issues.

My MAIN issue now is the extraction. I thought about getting an Climate Control system but they're £2500, they need plumbing in (meaning I need a water tap installing inside my garage) and they use 1-3l of water a minute. They also seem very tricky to setup and need draining and extraction inside the grow room. ATM this option is not going to work.

So, this is where I need help.

I figured that I could cut a hole in the wall in the bottom left of the grow room (next to where the garage door would be) and have my fresh air coming in through here. I could put a vent on the outside to conceal this and seal it air tight with expanding foam. I am not sure if this would work but right now I cant see where else I could get fresh air from.

Unless I get it from the small section of the garage where you first walk in (before entering the grow room). There isn't much air here though and its not fresh air. The door into this section will be opened and shut as fast as possible to conceal smells, so unsure if this is an option.

The hardest thing I am having an issue with atm is getting the heat out. My friend suggested I cut a hole in the wall at the front of the grow room, at the bottom and have the heat go through the extractor and up a shoot, 1 meter above the property. Would this work ?

I am cautious about it giving off a lot of heat for the eye in the sky.

I do have a great carbon filter, so smell I hope wouldn't be an issue with this option. I wouldn't feel comfortable having the heat going through the side of the garage though as even with a carbon filter, if someone walks past, surly they will smell the odour.

Anyway, ANY ideas, suggestions, DO's or DONTs would be greatly appreciated. I feel comfortable with everything other than the extraction and if the Climate Control wasn't so expensive and as much of a hassle to sort, I would just buy that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33116160_966416056867809_4478205225211002880_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	360685

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 23.55.02.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	360689

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 00.06.24.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	360690
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33174616_966457176863697_7628595437980614656_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	360686  
    Last edited by Jangles1; 23-05-18 at 12:13 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jangles1 For This Useful Post:

G' (23-05-18), GEORGE (23-05-18), growing420forlife (26-05-18), HazeyH (23-05-18)

Thanks

Better of sucking the air in from outside if climate allows it. If doing so you can directly suck out the air in your garage.
    It’s not necesarry to blow air above your property if you have a good carbon filter.
    Also place airfilters on the start and beginning of your hose that are sucking the air in from outside, this to keep the bugs out.

I am growing underneath a hps now. I had temps above 35 in summer and it is stalling plants. I’m saving up for LEDs now. Since you have not invested yet and are worried about heat, you might want to check LED out? These days I think it is equal to hps, but I am not sure. Watt is watt, if it comes for hps or led it doesn’t matter, how much matters. While growing on LED you also might want to read into all of the different colouring patterns.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Orderly For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 4,614 Times

With a decent carbon filter,there shouldnt be any smells,(just when you open the tent.) Rhino Pro are really good CF's.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kurdt For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-05-18), HazeyH (23-05-18), the don 88 (23-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 52,286 Times

I can't help but think that's a massive commitment for a "total beginner".

Why not just get a fair-sized tent, put it behind a partition wall if you must), complete some grows and see how you get on?

Upscale in time, sure...
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-forum/signaturepics/sigpic82640_3.gif

Neckbeard, cute dog, pansy-ass fuck* pursuing herb immunity since 1966

*TM. HazyClouds (RIP)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Herbitual For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-05-18)

Thanks

Personally depending were you are in the world

If smell is a issue partition part of the garage off then put your tent in. I wouldn't bother insulating the walls as you'll be fighting to keep heat out rather then in. I would maybe just get some kind of waterproof sealant paint for the walls (guessing it's exposed blockwork?) To stop damp

With your money saved you could get a decent extractor expelling high up. noone with suspect a thing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HazeyH For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (23-05-18)