Thread: Chillers and DWC

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Default Chillers and DWC

So I typically don't grow over the summer due to absences, as well as heat. I have been thinking it is time to try a summer grow and am worried about res temeratures. Spending big bucks on a chiller is not in the cards. Even the idea of a chiller makes me think of heat issues or a lot of plumbing,

Am I correct in thinking a chiller produces a lot of heat when when being used? How so you deal with the heat.
    I don't think I should need a lot of cooling as my ambient temp where resivour will be is about 20-24.
    I am thinking a 4@ 5g bucket setup, with a 60-80l tote for a resivour.
    I have seen posts about modified wine chillers to help temps. I have grown with res temps in this range but know they are not optimal. And don't leave room for error.
    My groom presently doesn't have a window, or I could see me using an air conditioner and a radiator it of an old car to deal with heat. Cheaper to add a window than buy a chiller.

Check it out, grow started march 11............ Flip May 1st
    Led lighting various soils
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-dirt-4x4-tent

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 28,825 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Wsg View Post
    So I typically don't grow over the summer due to absences, as well as heat. I have been thinking it is time to try a summer grow and am worried about res temeratures. Spending big bucks on a chiller is not in the cards. Even the idea of a chiller makes me think of heat issues or a lot of plumbing,

Am I correct in thinking a chiller produces a lot of heat when when being used? How so you deal with the heat.
    I don't think I should need a lot of cooling as my ambient temp where resivour will be is about 20-24.
    I am thinking a 4@ 5g bucket setup, with a 60-80l tote for a resivour.
    I have seen posts about modified wine chillers to help temps. I have grown with res temps in this range but know they are not optimal. And don't leave room for error.
    My groom presently doesn't have a window, or I could see me using an air conditioner and a radiator it of an old car to deal with heat. Cheaper to add a window than buy a chiller.

Check it out, grow started march 11............ Flip May 1st
    Led lighting various soils
    https://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-foru...-dirt-4x4-tent
    I use a Hailea 150 chiller and it produces very little heat when on. It sits outside the tent though. Have you checked fleabay for 2nd hand chillers? They sometimes have great deals.

There is very little setup with a chiller, no plumbing required. One pipe running into your res for output and one coming into the chiller attached to a pump in the res, that's it.
    Can't comment on modded wine chillers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhIpLaSh For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (24-05-18), HisHighness (10-09-18)

Thanks

Best thing ive ever bought is a chiller, it kicks out next to no heat, saves on aggravation and swapping frozen bottles out every couple of hours

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PorknStalk For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (08-09-18), WhIpLaSh (08-09-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 1,541 Times

I've got the hailea150 too, and even in 35C temps over this summer the res was steady at 18. It probably contributed to the heat to a small degree but the benefit of having water at a good range is one less worry.

I just bought an under the counter chiller for my next project and it nearly gets warm and is designed to not have active cooling like the hailea. So far thou I havent got it enclosed but it is capably of chilling to 4degrees, I wouldnt mims better the compressor would be getting quite warm at that point!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HisHighness For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (12-09-18)