Thread: Suck or blow that is the question.

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 6,042 Times

Default Suck or blow that is the question.

Evening all.

I am currently running negative pressure in my grow box in my attic and with the summer months coming in the UK the temps can raise pretty quick. I have just purchased a temperature fan controller (253240772012) Cheap as it is I have just been testing it and it is not to bad for the money. I set my 6inch extraction fan to its highest setting and the setting on the controller to a minimum setting and when the temp hit 27 my extractor fan kicked in and lowered temps.

What I am thinking though is would it be better to have a second fan "4inch intake" fan at the bottom of my box doing the job instead of the extraction fan.

Advice greatly appreciated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18), MonsterEnergy (27-05-18)

Bejeweled 2 Action Champion!
    Thanks
    Been Thanked: 18,391 Times

you can use intake especially coming into the warmer weather,
    my intake is pulling fresh air, something i couldn't do using only passive

really depends on the temp and if you feel it's needed though, you got a good temp right now so you might not need it,

26c/27c is bang on,

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterEnergy For This Useful Post:

Cont3 (27-05-18), GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks

My thinking is that when temps get hot in my attic it would cool quicker if I was to pump more air in than the extractor would by sucking it out. Might just have to give it a test run. I have a 4inch fan coming next week plus cant grow anything until end of June.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 13,095 Times

You'd create positive pressure then and have smell leaks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirty_badger For This Useful Post:

British green (27-05-18), Cont3 (27-05-18), GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks

Ahh yeah didnt think of that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

The small intake will make your extraction work better. The speed controller should be on it. Set it as high as possible, maintaining negative pressure.
    I had problems in the summer months due to the high heat in my loft, I eventually had to draw air from under my house to keep the temperatures down. I live in an older cottage style house, in Canada and would guess's my attic gets 35-40 deg easily in the summer.

I typically stopped growing in the summer due to the groom environment, I bought a tent for a room downstairs in hopes of keeping my temps manageable thru the summertime.

Good luck and I am sure you will do well as you are planning ahead, I have thought of trying again in my loft with an air conditioner..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

friendlygrower (27-05-18), GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wsg View Post
    The small intake will make your extraction work better. The speed controller should be on it. Set it as high as possible, maintaining negative pressure.
    I had problems in the summer months due to the high heat in my loft, I eventually had to draw air from under my house to keep the temperatures down. I live in an older cottage style house, in Canada and would guess's my attic gets 35-40 deg easily in the summer.

I typically stopped growing in the summer due to the groom environment, I bought a tent for a room downstairs in hopes of keeping my temps manageable thru the summertime.

Good luck and I am sure you will do well as you are planning ahead, I have thought of trying again in my loft with an air conditioner..
    hey man i live in canada aswell and i was going to set a tent up in an upstairs bedroom keep in mind i have central air through the entire house i was going to run a 6 inch fan through my cool hood and duct it out the door through a little hole i made with a dryer vent attachment so it will be puhsing the hot air out of the room into the house and i will be running an 4 inch vortex on a 4 inch charcoal filter on the inside of the tent do you think this will work out i have a 4x4 tent with a 600Whps also have huge 20 inch box fan blowing air around on the inside, i have my basment (cellar) aswell but there are lots of bugs down there and no matter how much i clean there always around, feels risky haha
    Last edited by friendlygrower; 27-05-18 at 03:29 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to friendlygrower For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks

My first ever grow was during summer months last year and although it did get a little hot I did manage to control the temperatures all be it I had to check it several times a day. I am hoping that the temperature controller will do some of the work for me. I will run some tests to see what works best.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks

might give this (372312079557) a go with the temperature controller. for only £20 its no great loss if its shit.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cont3 For This Useful Post:

GEORGE (27-05-18)

Thanks
    Been Thanked: 3,434 Times

Default Suck or blow that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by friendlygrower View Post
    hey man i live in canada aswell and i was going to set a tent up in an upstairs bedroom keep in mind i have central air through the entire house i was going to run a 6 inch fan through my cool hood and duct it out the door through a little hole i made with a dryer vent attachment so it will be puhsing the hot air out of the room into the house and i will be running an 4 inch vortex on a 4 inch charcoal filter on the inside of the tent do you think this will work out i have a 4x4 tent with a 600Whps also have huge 20 inch box fan blowing air around on the inside, i have my basment (cellar) aswell but there are lots of bugs down there and no matter how much i clean there always around, feels risky haha
    I have a 4" and will be buying a 6" filter, just can't get enough movement thru the 4". I struggle with humidity, so good air flow is a must. Not worth risking bud rot if you haven't made the purchase yet. Same tent size, running 2@1500w Cobb (draw 250 each), and a Mars 480 reflector (draw 200w).

Basement's, we use to whitewash barns for bugs, might be frown on nowadays, but some lime, water and a wide brush, done the job cheaply.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 420Rancher For This Useful Post:

friendlygrower (28-05-18), GEORGE (28-05-18)